PDA

View Full Version : Another glue thread...

Sven
09-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Check this out. A nightmare. Could not believe my eyes.

Read about it here:
http://argapa.blogspot.com/2011/09/bridge-repair-on-factory-made-uke.html

The whole top screamed for a complete refinish, but that wasn't the task this time.

fahrner
09-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Wow!
Was happy to see it was not one of yours Sven.
The really good double sided tape can be pretty strong. Had occasion to remove a transducer from a bridge plate the other day. It was held on their pretty good and when I finally worked it off, some little splinters of the bridge plate came with it. But to think this stuff would be good enough to secure a bridge to the soundboard that is under continuous stress and flex? I don't think so.

tattwo
09-15-2011, 12:28 PM
wow!.....what brand of uke is that?

Rick Turner
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
It is possible to successfully glue a bridge to a well done polyester finish. I do it all the time. But you have to have your finish schedule and materials really right. If you get it right, the finish is literally sticking like glue, and with a well fit bridge, you have a very permanent bond. I use thick superglue for the task. They don't let go.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-15-2011, 01:26 PM
That's a riot Sven! I recommend using that new hot hide glue tape they just came out with to repair it.
And yes, inquiring minds want to know the brand.......

Sven
09-15-2011, 07:27 PM
@Rick: that's interesting, I didn't know that.

This wasn't a good finish though, 0.25 mm plastic that came off in chips. Came quite cleanly off the rather nice cedar wood. When I cut the edges of the finish to get the bridge in contact with the wood it lifted and wanted to leave.

The brand is called Eagle. I think a music store chain here in Sweden have the made. Where, I hear you ask. In China. This was an semi-expensive "top of the line" model. Nothing to write home about.

Doug
09-16-2011, 07:53 AM
They should have bought one from you Sven. That'll teach em.