My strings are kinda sluty ...

toyrtle

Reaction score
I'm at the end of my rope - or string as it were.

I have a Greg Bennett baritone uke and I decided to upgrade the strings with some Aquilas. So I bought a proper baritone Aquila set (GCEA), but I could not get the proper tension on the A string. SO....I bought a Baritone Aquila set (DBGE) with the would D and B strings.

The tension was too low on the D string, but I finally managed to get it to work, but then the knot slipped out (after I had trimmed the string) and of course now it's too short to work.

I have watched Aldrine's video and I believe I am doing everything correctly - does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my strings to stop being so slutty?

dont trim them so short. and then make sure that the knot has some room left on it. i mean extra string. because its going to slip a little bit brah; thats how it tightens. if that keeps failing it might be the saddle or you just have a poopy uke.

What kind of bridge is it?

Make sure your knot isn't too small. Leave about maybe an inch out the back of the bridge. Leave all of the extra string wound into circles on the head for a while to make sure it stays ok.

And then my other suggestion would be to not let it with other ukes until it's 18. Don't forget it's YOUR slutty uke, take responsibility for it.

Exactly!:biglaugh:

Make sure your knot isn't too small. Leave about maybe an inch out the back of the bridge. Leave all of the extra string wound into circles on the head for a while to make sure it stays ok.

And then my other suggestion would be to not let it with other ukes until it's 18. Don't forget it's YOUR slutty uke, take responsibility for it.

I've used the Aquila Baritone DGBE set with wound D and G on my baritone. I found that the uke had too much bass, so I am trying a new setup with clear D string and wound G string. Curt Sheller recommends a Savarez Alliance setup. I love Savarez strings for their bright and clear sound. Just remember, when going with strings with higher tension, your uke needs to be built so support the increased tensions. Here's Curt's suggestions:

Savarez Alliance
(red card-R) and high tensions (blue card-J)

Plain KF Treble High Tension .033, 543J for the D
Plain KF Treble Standard Tension .027, 542R for the E
Plain KF Treble Standard Tension .033, 543R for the B
D'Addario Pro-Arte
D Light Silverplated Copper Wound .028, J4304 for both the low G (string 3)

I am just wondering....

...I have installed Aquila GCEA and DGBE strings on many ukes (including Greg Benetts) and never had a tension problem. Are you sure the strings were up to pitch? I mean, Aquila GCEA baritone strings have quite a high tension, and are snappy, except from when you don't tune them up to pitch. Maybe you were tuning the strings to a lower GCEA, or maybe you have a digital tuner that wasn't on 440hz?

Also, never trim wound strings, as the wire around the core will unravel.

I did get another D string and restrung it, but it has popped out three times now.

The strings do seem to be wound with pretty high tension, but I can't tell if it is too much - or how to tell the pitch. My tuner is definitely set to 440 though.

I took the uke back into the shop where I bought it, but they couldn't do anything to help me on the day - except tell me that ukes are hard to string. :uhoh:

Please somebody write a song with the title of this thread.

My String are kinda slutty
they're hanging real loose
and when i try to tune them
i look just like a goose

:confused:

Wow! There's some real talent here!

Don't go back to the shop where they told you ukes are hard to string! What kind of service is that! Anybody who works in a real store should be able to do that string in 2 minutes!

Take a photo of your uke's bridge and show us how you have strung it - we may be able to find the problem (and solution) more quickly like that.

I hate slutty strings! After I spend 20 minutes putting them on my soprano, I always find them wrapped around my baritone a few hours later. ;)

If I can't get the knot on the tied end to stay tight, I usually wrap the end around the whole thing one last time and tuck it under so the string tension holds it in place.

Top Bottom