Anyone knows what this is?

Lalz

Reaction score
Hi all!
My friend found this picture of Björk online the other day and we're trying to figure out what instrument she is holding.
Any idea? It seems to have only two strings. Thanks!
Screen shot 2011-09-16 at 11.23.20.jpg

The shape and tuning pegs remind me of a Ruan, but they have 4 strings (as far as I know) and a shorter neck. But I'd wager it's probably Chinese.

the frets look like a dulcimer. when in tune you hold a string down anywhere and it sounds good.
No idea what it is

I can't recall the name, but it is an East Asian instrument - I think Chinese (like Lalou said). I remember seeing them in a couple of homes when I lived in Honolulu, though I never heard them played.

Perhaps a Vietnamese Đàn nguyệt or Đàn sến . . .

Last edited:
Thanks! Made a quick Google search on vietnamese Đàn nguyệt and Đàn sến (such lovely instruments!), I think these have raised frets? Our mystery instrument seems to have low action...

I think you might very well be right Josh. Wikipedia says it can also have two strings and it looks really similar. Ok, I'll tell my friend the mystery has been solved :)
Thanks!

Does it have 2 or 3 strings? It looks like 2, which makes me think Er Hu, though it does look much like a Qinqin, though they, to the best of my knowledge, always have 3 strings. Interesting...

Except that an Er Hu is a bowed instrument, with the hairs of the bow in between the strings. it is also played vertically, not horizontally, and the skin - usually python skin - is a much smaller area. i think mine (for decoration only!) has about a 3-1/2 or 4" diameter "hoop" (since I can't recall the correct term), which is also longer than it is wide. (Which reminds me of Melanie Safka's song "Psychotherapy", but that's a much different discussion....)

-Kurt​

Top Bottom