Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival - San Francisco

russ_buss

Reaction score
http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/

October 3-5, Golden Gate Park

we go to this free 3-day festival every year. not sure i've seen a ukulele yet, but there will be a ton of banjos!

it's a lot of fun and the weather is usually great this time of year. they have some 5 stages going on at the same time. tons of great bluegrass, folk and country bands.

for some reason, this year will include MC Hammer.:confused:

should be a good time. anybody interested in some great americana should come on down.

oh yeah, did i mention it's FREE??

here's the lineup:

PEGI YOUNG * CARLENE CARTER * RUBY JANE * TEA LEAF GREEN * MOONALICE * GUY CLARK & VERLON THOMPSON * HAZEL DICKENS * THE DESERT ROSE BAND * THE GOURDS * MARTY WILLSON-PIPER (OF THE CHURCH) & THE MOOD MAIDENS * BILL KIRCHEN * NICK LOWE * THE DEL MCCOURY BAND * ALISON BROWN QUARTET WITH JOE CRAVEN * THE JERRY DOUGLAS BAND * THREE GIRLS & THEIR BUDDY * ROBERT EARL KEEN * IRIS DEMENT * SHARON LITTLE * LOS CENZONTLES FEATURING SANTIAGO JIMENEZ * TIFT MERRITT * RICHARD THOMPSON * JIMMIE DALE GILMORE * EARL SCRUGGS * JOHN JORGENSON QUINTET * MIKE FARRIS & THE ROSELAND RHYTHM REVUE * THE ROAN MOUNTAIN HILLTOPPERS * ELVIS COSTELLO'S HIGH WHINES AND SPIRITS * ROBERT PLANT AND ALISON KRAUSS FEATURING T BONE BURNETT * LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III * JON LANGFORD'S SKULL ORCHARD FEATURING SALLY TIMMS AND THE BURLINGTON WELSH MALE CHORUS * ODETTA * THE OPERA DUKES * BAD LIVERS * DRY BRANCH FIRE SQUAD * THE INFAMOUS STRINGDUSTERS * IRON & WINE * BONNIE PRINCE BILLY * GOGOL BORDELLO * THE WRONGLERS * HEIDI CLARE & ATAGALLOP * JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE * JERRY JEFF WALKER * SONS & BROTHERS * WACO BROTHERS * CYNDI HARVELL * SAMANTHA ROBICHAUD * MAURA O'CONNELL * RED WINE * BILL EVANS STRING SUMMIT WITH MEGAN LYNCH * HEAVY TRASH * GLOBAL DRUM PROJECT FEATURING MICKEY HART & ZAKIR HUSSAIN * GREG BROWN * RALPH STANLEY & THE CLINCH MOUNTAIN BOYS * BEN KWELLER * DARRELL SCOTT BAND * PETER ROWAN BLUEGRASS BAND * JOE PURDY * LAURIE LEWIS & FRIENDS * EMMYLOU HARRIS * BAND JOE AND THE WHYTE LAYDIE * HOT RIZE * RICKY SKAGGS & KENTUCKY THUNDER * POOR MAN'S WHISKEY * RIDERS IN THE SKY * THE WAYBACKS * KEVIN WELCH & KIERAN KANE & FATS KAPLIN * DAVE ALVIN & THE GUILTY WOMEN * ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL * FROM THE JAYHAWKS: MARK OLSON & GARY LOURIS * MC HAMMER * STEVE EARLE & THE BLUEGRASS DUKES

kinda unfortunate for me; i have 3 other things going on that weekend and i cant make any of them.

i might have to sit this one out

*sigh* I need to move out west... The east has zero culture- just monuments to the culture we use to have.

bumpity bump in case anyone is interested. the bluegrass festival starts today!

bring your chairs and blankets. you know SF weather.:)

bumpity bump in case anyone is interested. the bluegrass festival starts today!

bring your chairs and blankets. you know SF weather.:)

AND SOMETHING WITH STRINGS!!!!

Folks, get a cheapy uke, get strings that are GDAE (mando/violin tuning), learn some fiddle tunes (Salt Creek, WHiskey Before Breakfast, Angeline the Baker) and GO ROCK FOR 3 DAYS!

And it's free.... wow. Sounds like a pickin' party.

get a cheapy uke, get strings that are GDAE (mando/violin tuning), learn some fiddle tunes (Salt Creek, WHiskey Before Breakfast, Angeline the Baker) and GO ROCK FOR 3 DAYS!

Many of us in North County San Diego play ukuleles with local bluegrass groups and our ukes are tuned GCEA. Bluegrass is catchy and easy to follow. Bring your ukes of any tuning and enjoy! It will amaze you how many will be surprized to see and hear a ukulele playing bluegrass. The uke can have a percussive effect, similar to a mandolin. Roll in my sweet baby's arms, Truck Drivin Man, Ring of fire, Will the circle be unbroken... Have fun! Ric

Many of us in North County San Diego play ukuleles with local bluegrass groups and our ukes are tuned GCEA. Bluegrass is catchy and easy to follow. Bring your ukes of any tuning and enjoy! It will amaze you how many will be surprized to see and hear a ukulele playing bluegrass. The uke can have a percussive effect, similar to a mandolin. Roll in my sweet baby's arms, Truck Drivin Man, Ring of fire, Will the circle be unbroken... Have fun! Ric

That's rad man! Got any video links to folks playing Ukes in a bluegrass format? Tabs? It seems I much enjoy playing my Uke to all the music except the style it was made for... Metal next!

Top Bottom