Ohana CK-35L

Scott S.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to share a few pics of my first uke, a long-neck mahogany concert built by Ohana. After reasearching ukes in my price range here on UU, and deciding that I liked the tenor size neck, I settled on this CK-35L. Finding one for sale was quite difficult. I first tried all the sponsors here on UU, but quickly found out (as others have mentioned) that almost no one has the popular Ohana's in stock. I was told November at the earliest for this model. After a nation-wide search, I ultimately found one on Amazon from a reputible seller, but I was still apprensive, realizing the seller would not be doing any setup.

When the uke arrived two days ago, I pulled it out of the box and was very pleasently surprised. The solid mahogany back, top and sides are all very nice, especially for a uke in this price range. The action was just right - low at the nut and saddle but no buzzing anywhere. It plays great, and after a few hours of playing I noticed that this uke is loud, warm and punchy. I really like the tenor neck, having a background in guitar, bass and mandolin. Ohana's advertising makes a big point of emphasizing the set-up done at the factory, and although I was sort of skeptical, I believe it now.

I have noticed a couple of small flaws - there is a small blemish on the top under the satin finish, a little bit of excess glue here and there, and some file scratches on the top's purfling. But considering how this uke sounds and plays, I'm not disappointed at all. I am having a blast learning this new instrument, and I like that the name "Ohana" means "family". Pretty appropriate for this on-line community. Well, back to playing!

P.S. Ken Middleton's YouTube video review of this uke was the clincher in deciding to go with this model. Thanks Ken!

OhanaCK-35L -1.jpgOhana CK-35L-2.jpgOhana CK-35L-4.jpg

Last edited:
Two years late to this post but I wanted to say that I too am really happy with my Ohana CK-35L. It took a bit of searching to find one, but I'm really glad I finally did! Intonation is good all the way up and down the neck, no buzzing to speak of, action is just right, and the sound with the Worth Clears that I had put on is silky warm with a nice dynamic range. I bought it from the boys at Southern Ukulele where the price, service, and final set-up was great. If you're looking for a good priced solid mahogany uke that plays like a tenor with the sound in between a concert and a tenor, this is an excellent choice. Really, this ukulele plays and sounds better than many brands twice the price.

Nice uke. I'll bet that tenor neck really makes that concert body sing. Congrats.

Top Bottom