Hawaiian Warrior Music for ukulele?

EricStetson

Reaction score
Hi guys - one of my "other passions" is training at a Muay Thai gym here
in Sacramento. This was the place where Urijah Faber trained leading up to the WEC featherweight title. One of our female fighters is training for an MMA fight on Oct. 15th, and she happens to be Hawaiian. I though it might be really neat if I could play/sing a Hawaiian "warrior song" at
the event (even if it's just in the prep room before the bout) if such a
thing exists - but what better place to ask than here?

So, anyone know a good traditional Hawaiian song fit for a warrior
preparing for battle?

-Eric

Try Song Help thread?

Hawaiian Suppa Man by Braddah Iz is the most "traditional" warrior song that I know. Kawika by the Ka'au Crater Boys is a good classic, too. But I think that the most warrior-like song (even though it's not technically Hawaiian) would probably be a Maori or Samoan haka.

Hawaiian War Chant? Might be tough on an 'ukulele

"Maui Da Hawaiian Suppah Man" and "Kaua i ka Huaha`i" are not war songs. Maui is a contemporary mele about the God Maui. Kaua i ka Huaha`i otherwise known as the Hawaiian War Chant is actually a mele aloha by Prince Leleiohokukalaho`olewa.

Most "battle" type songs are oli/chant. So gonna be hard to find one for the `ukulele. Here's one you might consider though like i said it's an oli. It's E Manono, which is a mele hula noho/song for a seated hula, a inoa mele/name chant for Mo`i Wahine Manono, who fought along side (on the battlefield) her husband Kekuaokalani for Hawaiian traditions. Keola Beamer performs it but the instruments are simply background. learn the words, say it strong, try to figure out a way to include the `ukulele. good luck.

Thanks for the help folks, I'll take a look at all of these suggestions - and if nothing else I'll tell you how the fight went. The California Combat League title is on the line!

I like this recommendation. Keola only uses 5 chords for the whole thing on guitar and all are transposable to ukulele. What is more important than the tune, is the power you put into it for what your fighter is gearing up for.

Top Bottom