Good Karma

garyg

Reaction score
Athens Georgia, where I live, isn't that small a town but it has a great small town feel. Today I went into my physical therapists office and tacked onto my chart was a note from another patient who asked if I was the "ukulele guy". I carry a uke with me lots of places where I have to wait and it turns out that I was playing my uke while waiting for a prescription to be filled in our local Kroger's supermarket. The note from the lady said "He made me feel so happy". Awwwwwwww . Keep on uking!

Bravo!

I got something similar one day. I bring my uke with me to work most days, so I can play it a bit during lunchtime and since it's been such great weather here in SoCal this summer, I tend to eat outside a lot. One day I was just strumming something or other (I think it was Daydream Believer), when a woman stopped by and thanked me for my "concert." I was totally embarrassed, because I'd only been playing for about three months, but she said I was pretty good. She then confided that she always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but didn't think she is able. Well, I handed her the uke, and showed her the C, G, and F chords.

Three weeks later I saw her again, when she found me (again) outside playing, and she told me she was getting a uke.

Made my summer.

I guess that makes you an "official" uke ambassador!

@ Phil, well I wouldn't be that bold but part of the reason that I made the post was that so many folks responded negatively when I asked how many ppl had played on a plane. I know, I know, completely different situation, but I think that it's good to strum in some unusual places as long as you keep a sharp eye out for whether or not you're bothering folks. cheers, g2

HA! and my coworkers say I needed to play guitar to pick up ladies! :p

Great stories! Hopefully by next spring/summer I'd have a few songs in my noggin that I can play or at least work on and I'm going to go find a nice park to practice in. It's nice getting away from the office at lunchtime and NOT have to think about work for at least an hour.

So far, the good karma has only come to me in the form of my uke itself, and getting to play it for my family. The other day, I did go to the park in our town and sat on a bench by the pond everybody walks around. Well, not that day. Two people passed by the entire time I was there, and they were talking to each other. Course I did feel a little more comfortable that way, because truthfully, the butterflies in my stomach were terrible anytime somebody came close to coming my direction. :) So, some day soon, as my courage builds, I'll sit in a higher traffic area and maybe pass some good karma on to others.

That's a great story! Bravo :D

The only time I've played "publicly" is the failed meeting in the summer of my "uke group" when I sat in a park and played a few tunes, no one said anything, but I guess that's also good! Means I wasn't disturbing them to the point of "Could you stop doing that, it sucks!" kinda thing.

Top Bottom