PDA

View Full Version : Good Karma

garyg
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Athens Georgia, where I live, isn't that small a town but it has a great small town feel. Today I went into my physical therapists office and tacked onto my chart was a note from another patient who asked if I was the "ukulele guy". I carry a uke with me lots of places where I have to wait and it turns out that I was playing my uke while waiting for a prescription to be filled in our local Kroger's supermarket. The note from the lady said "He made me feel so happy". Awwwwwwww . Keep on uking!

PoiDog
09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Bravo!

I got something similar one day. I bring my uke with me to work most days, so I can play it a bit during lunchtime and since it's been such great weather here in SoCal this summer, I tend to eat outside a lot. One day I was just strumming something or other (I think it was Daydream Believer), when a woman stopped by and thanked me for my "concert." I was totally embarrassed, because I'd only been playing for about three months, but she said I was pretty good. She then confided that she always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but didn't think she is able. Well, I handed her the uke, and showed her the C, G, and F chords.

Three weeks later I saw her again, when she found me (again) outside playing, and she told me she was getting a uke.

Made my summer.

PhilUSAFRet
09-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I guess that makes you an "official" uke ambassador!

garyg
09-16-2011, 04:22 PM
@ Phil, well I wouldn't be that bold but part of the reason that I made the post was that so many folks responded negatively when I asked how many ppl had played on a plane. I know, I know, completely different situation, but I think that it's good to strum in some unusual places as long as you keep a sharp eye out for whether or not you're bothering folks. cheers, g2

Trinimon
09-16-2011, 04:51 PM
HA! and my coworkers say I needed to play guitar to pick up ladies! :p

Great stories! Hopefully by next spring/summer I'd have a few songs in my noggin that I can play or at least work on and I'm going to go find a nice park to practice in. It's nice getting away from the office at lunchtime and NOT have to think about work for at least an hour.

consitter
09-16-2011, 09:29 PM
So far, the good karma has only come to me in the form of my uke itself, and getting to play it for my family. The other day, I did go to the park in our town and sat on a bench by the pond everybody walks around. Well, not that day. Two people passed by the entire time I was there, and they were talking to each other. Course I did feel a little more comfortable that way, because truthfully, the butterflies in my stomach were terrible anytime somebody came close to coming my direction. :) So, some day soon, as my courage builds, I'll sit in a higher traffic area and maybe pass some good karma on to others.

joeybug
09-17-2011, 12:54 AM
That's a great story! Bravo :D

The only time I've played "publicly" is the failed meeting in the summer of my "uke group" when I sat in a park and played a few tunes, no one said anything, but I guess that's also good! Means I wasn't disturbing them to the point of "Could you stop doing that, it sucks!" kinda thing.

UKEonomics
09-17-2011, 04:31 AM
awesome story! I've also been called the "ukulele guy" so that part made me chuckle.