Kala ASAC-T - Frets/Bending problem(?)

Replace the strings. Aquilla strings aren't very rugged and will wear pretty quickly especially if doing a lot of bending or plucking/strumming with a pick or fingernails. If you're going to do a lot of bending I recommend fluorocarbon strings. While changing the strings you might take very fine (600 grit) emery cloth or very fine steel wool and polish the frets, though this probably isn't necessary.

John

maybe a visit to a luthier can solve the problems, like recrowning the frets, checking nut n saddle heights.

I agree with John. It's not the frets, it's the strings. Aquila Nylguts, at least the "old" Nylguts, are known for fraying.

I wouldn't completely rule out a bad fret job.

Don't dunlop do a fret polish kit which should fix it. I would highly recommend worth browns for your uke not Aquila. I have the same Ukulele check out my YouTube signature underneath for an idea of how worth browns sound?

Thanks all for the suggestions and help! The luthier idea did scare me a little : )

Yesterday I got out and bought some fine steel wool (they did not stock #0000 so I went with #000, which is no problem) and removed all the old Aquila's. I mask-taped everything and had a go. I think the workers at the Kala factory used a rough file on some frets because some tiny grooves were visible. After the first round of steel wool I used some 1200 grit sandpaper and sanded a bit (equally). Then I finished with some steelwool and the frets ended up shining like never before!

View attachment 28159

Restrung it with some new Aquila's I had laying around and the bending problem seems to be solved! While opening the new pack of strings I read about how the nylguts are 'liable to suffer from cutting edges'. I guess it was a combination: the rough frets damaged them and the damaged strings 'contributed' to the problem/sound as well.

I am a happy uker again! In the near future I will be trying some D'Addario J71's... I am just too curious! Anyone using these on their (Kala) tenor?

Mine say J-92 on the package, I like them, but haven't tried the worth browns yet.

From my point of view, Aquilas are fine on mahogany instruments but way too harsh on acacia or koa. I changed them for Worth clear on the ASAC-T & never looked back.

I replaced the stock Aquila strings as soon as I received my Kala ASAC-T. I installed Worth clears and they sounded fantastic. I currently have some Fremont Blacklines on my Solid Acacia tenor and I am really liking them so far. I may put on some Worth Browns or Ko'olau Alohi's with wound 3rd and 4th strings next.

Mason671

I like Aquilas on laminate ukes. Tend to prefer Worth browns on mahogany.

I don't have a koa uke, so...

Top Bottom