Hello Kamaka Concert question

dredey

Reaction score
Hi. New to the forum. Love it.
What are the best strings used for a Kamaka Concert? I do not have a dealer near me so have to order online. Are the strings that it comes with decent? Or should I go with Aquila? Or something else? Thanks.

Andre'

I recommend worth clears. They're great on Kamakas.

I use Worth Clear (CM) with my KK concert.
Using iPhone4 to record.

I don't know what is the best strings but I like Worth strings.

Worth Clears do sound wonderful. Anyone use Aquila's with Kamaka Concert?

Aquila's are most often favored on a lower end or laminate ukulele. I find them a bit brash on a solid wood ukulele. I like Worth Clears and Fremont Blacklines

How are the strings that come with the Kamaka HF2?

How are the strings that come with the Kamaka HF2?

Terrible. A lot of folks around here can't stand Kamaka factory strings - I've changed them out right away on every Kamaka I own.

I actually used to favor Aquilas on mine, until I heard Martin M600 fluorocarbons on a friend's HF-2. Now that's all I use.

The shop where I ordered from only sells four different strings. Ko'olau-Aquila-Kamaka-GHS. They will put on whatever I choose. I know I can put on Worths later when I find them.

The shop where I ordered from only sells four different strings. Ko'olau-Aquila-Kamaka-GHS. They will put on whatever I choose. I know I can put on Worths later when I find them.

I've never tried Ko'olaus so can't speak to those. I'd skip the Kamakas and the GHS. Aquilas won't be bad if you enjoy a bright sound.

Go with Ko'olau---Alohi if you prefer a brighter uke sound, Mahana if you prefer a mellower uke sound. You may also like Kamaka strings if you're going for a mellow sound and deep tone.

GHS strings aren't so hot; Aquilas don't have enough response to lower frequencies to take advantage of the sound of a Kamaka ukulele.

Have fun!

I agree with jane that aquilas wouldn't be too bad if you enjoy the bright tones. Except aquilas will totally kill any sustain a Kamaka concert has! Terrible. I also have mine strung with worth clears and find them very sympathetic to the HF-2. I'd have it shipped with the stock strings myself. Have fun with your new uke. Awesome choice! :)

Thanks I went with the Aquila's because those are the only strings I have experience with on my Makala MKC. I know the difference in wood is dramatic. I have a few sets of Worths's on order. Can't wait to get the Kamaka. :)

Hi. New to the forum. Love it.
What are the best strings used for a Kamaka Concert? I do not have a dealer near me so have to order online. Are the strings that it comes with decent? Or should I go with Aquila? Or something else? Thanks.

Andre'

I think I'm one of the players in the minority here that really like the Kamaka factory strings. That was the sound I fell in love with when trying various Kamakas in the stores, etc. And, that was the sound I got when I ordered mine direct from the factory. So, I have stocked up and ordered extra sets directly from Kamaka. I believe Kamaka has stated on their Facebook page that the strings are custom made for them by D'addario.

I just made an executive decision. I changed my order to the HF-3. My Makala MKC is an entry level yes. But sounds good and is a concert. I see the love for the Kamaka HF-3 and knowing that I most likely will be looking to get the Tenor in the future figured why not now. The money is there now (who knows when it will again) so went for it. I feel good about the decision. I play an acoustic Martin Mahogany guitar so the HF-3 would be a nice middle. Can't wait.. Plus the HF-3 sounds so nice.:)

You won't regret it! I also have a Martin Mahogany guitar, a D-18...haven't mixed and mingled my guitars and ukes yet, but plan to on some recordings soon.

Do you use Worth Clears on your HF-3?

Do you use Worth Clears on your HF-3?

Not sure if this is aimed at me...but, as I was saying a couple of posts up, I have stuck with the Kamaka branded strings, which are D'Addario. Haven't really been motivated to try others since I do like the sound. However, I'd certainly be open to trying others and Worth clears consistently are mentioned as being a great match for HF-3s. I think the Kamaka strings really produce a mellow, but clear and deep tone, just as stated by TheOnlyUkeThatMatters in post #11.

Thanks. I know I made the right choice moving up to the HF-3. Can't wait.

Thanks. I know I made the right choice moving up to the HF-3. Can't wait.

Absolutely...UU is where I went when I was getting into the uke and there is a lot of great knowledge and experience here. I did not know a K-brand from a K-mart before reading this forum ;)

I think its pretty standard procedure to post pictures and even a sound sample when you get it!

Top Bottom