How the heck does he do it??

Kmetzger

Reaction score
I'm watching this video of Jake, and see he plays a chord - at 2:18 into the video - where he has his index finger on the second fret and his pinky on the ninth fret.

Now I always thought I had pretty big hands/long fingers. But I find this stretch virtually impossible - on a tenor. Have renewed respect for him. (Can any of you do this easily?)

Last edited:
Beautiful song and beautiful rendition!!!

thats a beautiful piece

as far as streching, not to knock the guys talent, but I've seen guitarist do wide interval scales and arpeggios far greater than pictured in that video.
i myself, from playing them for 20+ on guitar, when I spread my fingers have about a 2 inch greater reach on my left hand as compared to my right. so with a lot of training it can be done. but be careful of your wrist, if you notice he has got his at quite an angle to achive it, a lot of players do this, and i think it is damaging and may have led to some of my wrist problems. I've altered my style to minimize that.

I've tried, can't do the stretch. A little too much for me. UU memeber UkeJon posted a video of his arrangement of Hallelujah (based off of Jake's but with a few changes). His arrangement doesn't use the big stretch so it's a little easier. Here's a link:

Hallelujah

That's why I like concert necks...

The stretch isn't so bad...try using your thumb to fret the string at the 2nd fret if your index can't reach.

Top Bottom