Cool thing happened to me today

consitter

Reaction score
:cool:I've been practicing "Friends in Low Place" for the last few days, played it for my youngest a couple of times (who will dance to anything). But, I've never played in the earshot of my wife. Well, today, I was in the living room playing the first verse, NOT singing. My wife was in the next room, where obviously she could hear me, because halfway through the first verse, I heard her start singing, "I saw the surprise and the fear in his eyes, when I took his glass of champagne." I stopped and said, "You could actually tell what I was playing??" She said, "Sure, plain as could be." That made my day! I went straight in there and gave her a big kiss. She said, "What's that for?" I said, "For making me fell like I'm actually making music."

A great day for music indeed- I fondly remember the first time my wife realized I was actually playing a song- good on ya!

Congrads. I'm still trying to not drive the dog from the room. Remember to keep making music for you. (to heck with the dog!)

Just saw Iris Dement last week, and she asked us all to sing along on a few tunes with her, telling us it was "just silly to worry about what we sounded like". The heck with the dog.

attachment.php
The Dinkster.jpg

This is what mine does when I play, but hey, I pay the bills durn it!!

Last edited:
Congrads. I'm still trying to not drive the dog from the room. Remember to keep making music for you. (to heck with the dog!)

What to drive the dog from the room? Start playing the accordion.

Excellent! I love that music can give folks these wonderful moments of happiness.

Those kind of moments are what make everything worth it. What a cool story.
-Joe

I had a couple of similar musical 'moments' at UWC this summer.

For the first one, I just happened to be sitting very near Mim as she began to play and sing Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. For whatever reason, I felt compelled to sing with her. I love the song, and have heard it literally thousands of times, so it didn't matter that I couldn't see the lyrics on the song sheet. The musical 'moment' part came when I actually found myself singing the harmony, not the melody. I've always admired vocal harmony, but have never before actually sung it. It was a very special moment for me.

The second 'moment' involved Mim, as well. As I wandered around the field at UWC one day, I came upon a circle of uke players standing and playing under the big tent. Mim began to lead a song, with which I was completely unfamiliar. She sang and, at the same time, coached the rest of us through chord changes, including a key change. I was surprised to find that I could actually catch on, keep up and really participate with the other 4 or 5 players in the circle. I felt like I was jammin'!

I have Mim to thank for both of those wonderful musical moments. Mim and the magic that is UWC. If you've never been, you've GOT to go....

I had a couple of similar musical 'moments' at UWC this summer.

For the first one, I just happened to be sitting very near Mim as she began to play and sing Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence. For whatever reason, I felt compelled to sing with her. I love the song, and have heard it literally thousands of times, so it didn't matter that I couldn't see the lyrics on the song sheet. The musical 'moment' part came when I actually found myself singing the harmony, not the melody. I've always admired vocal harmony, but have never before actually sung it. It was a very special moment for me.

The second 'moment' involved Mim, as well. As I wandered around the field at UWC one day, I came upon a circle of uke players standing and playing under the big tent. Mim began to lead a song, with which I was completely unfamiliar. She sang and, at the same time, coached the rest of us through chord changes, including a key change. I was surprised to find that I could actually catch on, keep up and really participate with the other 4 or 5 players in the circle. I felt like I was jammin'!

I have Mim to thank for both of those wonderful musical moments. Mim and the magic that is UWC. If you've never been, you've GOT to go....

I for one am sure looking forward to attending my first one next year!

Top Bottom