Which version sounds better.

elisdad

Reaction score
I recorded "don't think twice, it's alright" two different ways this morning. One on my mainland tenor singing a little softer and playing slower. The second on my banjolele playing faster and singing louder. I have been working to be less intimidated singing. I am not much of a singer, but which version sounds better?

On Mainland

On banjolele

Thanks for any feedback or tips.

I enjoyed listening to both. I love the song and wish I could play it as well as you. I liked the style of the second recording better because you could hear it better, more lively and confident sounding, however both were good.

Thanks for the kind words RoxHum. I think one of my issues singing, is not singing confidently. I have found the banjolele requires that I sing louder. So maybe I should practice with the banjolele more to increase my singing volume.

As far as playing the song goes, I am using the "in to out" technique and playing C-G-Am-F-G. I think in most cases I am playing each chord twice before moving to the next. There is a C7 thrown in there on lines like "When your rooster crows..."

Great job! My vote is for the faster banjolele version. The slower version was nicely done, but the tempo and tone of the banjolele suits your singing better, IMO.

Edit: You are correct in the volume of the banjolele making you sing louder= better projection stonger voice (to a point).

Thanks mikeg0232. I think the banjolele version sounds better as well. I wasn't sure how the banjolele would sound on that song, but I like it. I checked out your youtube channel, excellent playing and singing!

Thanks for the kind words RoxHum. I think one of my issues singing, is not singing confidently. I have found the banjolele requires that I sing louder. So maybe I should practice with the banjolele more to increase my singing volume.

As far as playing the song goes, I am using the "in to out" technique and playing C-G-Am-F-G. I think in most cases I am playing each chord twice before moving to the next. There is a C7 thrown in there on lines like "When your rooster crows..."

Thanks Elisdad, I was going to go do something productive, like making the bed, but will need to go try out your chords first.

Last edited:
Hello,

Good job and great playing. The banjolele version is the best in my opinion and mostly because of the singing. The banjolele also gives it a "root" feeling; a "root" atmosphere. In the uke version, the way you sing it feels more like mumbling. Your voice is good, it is special. Sing it like you mean it, loud and clear with confidence.
Bravo !

Thanks coriandre. I have a buddy that I have been playing with, who is a good singer. His advice is similar, "just belt it out man". It has taken a while to get the confidence to really try to sing. First, as can clearly be heard, I have had no singing training. Second, I was just embarrassed. I decided that being embarrassed was silly and I need to get through that, hence my post.

I agree with the majority here in that I think the banjolele version sounds better.

I like your buddy's advice haha you really should "just belt it out man". One thing to watch out for when you do belt is to not use your throat so much and focus more on belting from your stomach/diaphragm.

By the way, I've noticed that your tempo fluctuates a little in both renditions so, watch out for that a bit?

Great job on both covers though, props!

puhahajk, thanks for the feedback! I'll certainly watch the tempo and try to use my diaphragm more.

Top Bottom