PDA

View Full Version : String an 8 string like a 6...and loving it

rasputinsghost
09-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Has really brought new life into my instrument. I used to have it GG CC EE AA and while it sounded good it was hard to fret and solo on. Now I have it as GG CC E A and it sounds great! It gives the high strings more space to 'breathe' so to speak. What unorthodox string combos do you guys use?

Paul December
09-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Has really brought new life into my instrument. I used to have it GG CC EE AA and while it sounded good it was hard to fret and solo on. Now I have it as GG CC E A and it sounds great! It gives the high strings more space to 'breathe' so to speak. What unorthodox string combos do you guys use?

So you left-off 2 strings?
My 6 String came: G cC E Aa and I really dig the sound.
If I had an 8 string, I'd be tempted to go Gg Cc EE Aa

ralphk
09-18-2011, 01:08 PM
the videos are not 100% clear but Taimane Gardner appears to be using 6 strings on her 8 string (lowers doubled) and Kimo Hussey has his custom baritone with doubled lowers.

rasputinsghost
09-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Taimane just has a doubled C string.

Skitzic
09-19-2011, 03:35 AM
So you left-off 2 strings?
My 6 String came: G cC E Aa and I really dig the sound.
If I had an 8 string, I'd be tempted to go Gg Cc EE Aa

I've been toying with this idea for awhile. It's time for a string change so I'm thinking I'll see what it sounds like.

gyosh
10-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Taimane just has a doubled C string.

I was just watching some videos and I noticed that too. Does she do this to space out the strings a little farther for her style of playing?

UkuleleThreads
10-01-2011, 06:09 AM
I saw a 10 string Uke at the Miwaukee Ukulele Festival but didn't have time to tune it and give it a play. I have and eight string and love the full sound, I can only imagine the sound of the 10 string...anybody have one? What do you think?

rasputinsghost
10-01-2011, 06:19 AM
A 10 string would sound a lot like a tiple.