Which size Kamaka is your favorite?

dredey

Reaction score
I see alot of Tenor praise. Is that the most sound worthy? Never had one in hand and none around my area.

Andre'

SHucks. Not owning a Kamaka I guess I can't reply to this

;)

I prefer the Kamaka in the the tenor. In general, the tenor size is a bit more comfortable and familiar to me as a long-time guitar player. I feel more at home on the neck. I've played Kamaka concerts and sopranos as well and they all have excellent and distinctive tones....hard to qualify sound-worthiness since any brand of uke will have different qualities in different sizes. The sound-worthiness would be in the ear of the beholder, depending on what you're after. I wanted a Kamaka tone, so I got that in tenor. But, then heard a KoAloha and loved the tone of that as well, especially in the concert size (and I've gotten used to the concert size neck). So, I got one ofthose so that they complement each other.

Well Janeray should know since she has three sizes. I have only played a Pineapple and it was the best sounding uke I have ever played in my limited experience. I am about to get a Kamaka soprano and I do not expect it to sound as good but I like the shape and how it feels while playing better. I think you can't loose with any size Kamaka.

You can recognize the sound difference of 3 Kamaka size in youtube, I am also owning a Kamaka tenor now. Can't speak of concert or soprano even pineapple but I love my tenor. If UAS attacks me and my bank account allows, I would get the rest 3 in long neck's advantage.

I have concert, tenor and baritone Kamakas. I play the tenor the most and love the way it sounds, but the baritone also has a great voice.

I have only played a kamaka tenor, pineapple, and soprano a couple of times and my favorite has to be the Kamaka Pineapple. :D

I definately agree with the Pineapple, I love my old gold label. I've only played one other Kamaka, a couple of years ago and that was another vintage soprano in a local shop. I was pretty new at ukes and really had no idea what to look for or how it should sound, but I liked it much better than the vintage Martin they had, or anything else in the shop. I'm lusting after an HF-2 since I seem to prefer the concert size, and I love the headstock.

I own HF-1, 2, 3.
Although I love them all, HF-3 is my most favorite size.

Since I only play tenor my favorite size Kamaka is the HF-3.

I give the slight edge to the Tenor. But, my vintage Pineapple gets a lot of attention!!!!

Top Bottom