8 String Sets Released! 6 string Testers wanted for Southcoast

southcoastukes

Reaction score
Hello All,

Our last string set offerings are 6 & 8 String Ukulele sets. It is somewhat strange for us to be offering strings for instruments we don't build (yet), but the temptation was too great.

For those unfamiliar with our methods, we don't formulate our sets from a single material (or in the case of wound sets - 2 materials), but from material selected individually for each string position. We could have various types of nylon, flouro, composites and wound strings, all in the same set. We've always held that this gives a lot better balance in terms of tone, tension and playability.

Nowhere should this method be more advantageous than with 6 & 8 string sets. The octave strings - both high and low - present all sorts of problems with sets using traditional formulae. In other words, we just wanted to put these out because we figured they would be real good!

The 6 string set with wound strings has been out a little while - there's a review of it here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?50816-Southcoast-Strings-6-String-Review

Earlier today, I released the 8 String sets. The wound set will give key of C tuning on a standard Tenor, and the no-wound set gives C on a Baritone, D on a Tenor. These can also be used for those looking for linear (or low 4th) 6 string sets. It's explained in the review link above.

The one set that hasn't been released is the no-wound 6 string set. I figured we might do another string test on this set (I enjoyed the last one). As with the 8 string sets, the wound 6 string set gives key of C tuning on a standard Tenor. This no-wound set gives D on the Tenor, C on a Baritone.

Once again, we'll send out complimentary sets of the 6 String no -wound set to those who want to give it a whirl. We'd like your reactions on this thread, and if you can provide sound or video samples, so much the better. This was the most difficult of the 4 sets to formulate, so I'll be looking forward to reactions.

Ideal candidates would have a 6 string Tenor or Baritone Ukulele, and would look favorably on a sound that we feel is light and balanced without being harsh.

More info on all the sets is here:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/68.htm

If you'd like a set, e-mail your address to me at:

southcoast@inbox.com

Looking forward to another great round of testing and evaluation from UU!

Thanks,

Dirk

Last edited:
I am very interested in a non-wound six string Tenor set. I will email you, thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Dirk, sorry off subject a little bit....I have a 5 stringer Boat Paddle and I put your Southcoast Mediums on. LOVE EM! But I need a 5th string in Low G. What do you suggest and maybe where on your site. I have a little difficulty figuring out how to order on that one.

BTW, total endorsment for Southcoast strings. He brought my Pono to life, added a bunch to my Boat Paddle and my Kanilea is the only uke I really need because of Southcoast strings.

I have a Mele 8 Tenor and I would like to check out your strings. Email sent

Thanks Kent,

Got your e-mail - my apologies - maybe I shouldn't have included the 8 string anouncement in this test thread. The 8 string sets and the wound 6 string sets have already been released for sale.

This test is for the 6 string no-wound set only.

Would love to give the 6-string no-wound set a try on my Maui Music. Thanks for the opportunity!

I have a Lili'u that I'll be willing to try your strings on. E-mail sent.

Do you offer a non-wound low-G that will fit in the thin high-G nut slot?

I have a Lili'u that I'll be willing to try your strings on. E-mail sent.

Do you offer a non-wound low-G that will fit in the thin high-G nut slot?

Hello Gillian,

Do you mean "low A"? As in a - d- -f# - b? This no-wound set is for the old standard tuning on a Tenor (gives key of C on a Baritone). Check your e-mail and get back to me.

Thanks -

Top Bottom