Compass Rose

dredey

Reaction score
Nevermind

I found my answer. Sorry thanks.:)

Last edited:
As somebody who requires closure, I'd love to know the the question and answer! LOL

Hi. My question was a hard case question. Would a Oahu case fit with the shaped headstock? Mr. Turner I have some serious UAS over your tenors. But the ones I found online come with gigbags. I live in Connecticut and we have some harsh winters. So keeping the uke humidified is very important in these parts. Gigbags are not going to cut it. Next question geared towards Mr. Turner would be, Cherry wood. Pro's and cons. What are your feelings towards that wood. Visually I think it's beautiful.:) Last question is do you sell direct?:):drool:

Last edited:
As it happens, I just received a Compass Rose mahogany tenor today and couldn't be happier. It's everything I've been looking for these last two bank-depleting years in a quest for ukulele perfection, and I'm not kidding. As far as the gigbag is concerned, I wouldn't describe it as a gigbag. While it's not a hardcase in the sense that a Oahu is, the uke is very well protected by heavy padding. There's plenty of room for a humidifier in there, too. I'm extremely impressed with the case actually, and almost prefer it to the Oahu case, which I have for the Koaloha. It's got a nice padded handle and back straps, too. I'll try to post pics of the gig bag tonight, if I don't get too drunk and forget. Also, I'll see if the Oahu case works for it, too. Thanks again, Rick.

Matt

Last edited:
Can you take a pic of your uke too?:) You mind if I ask where you bought it from?

Andre'

Sorry I missed the last part- I bought direct via email on the Renaissance website. Even spoke to Rick personally on the phone. Couldn't bs happier with the whole experience. Awesome, awesome uke. I'll work on the pics.

Thanks, Matt.

Let's see...re. ??s

Truth be told, I do not like uke hardshell cases. Personal preference, but truth. For my own Compass Rose tenor uke, I use a Reunion Blues leather heavily padded mandolin gig bag; it's expensive and fantastic. I'm careful with it; I don't sit on it, but I do fly with the uke fairly often, and it easily fits in an overhead compartment.

We ship our ukes in semi-hard cases that are of this new generation of cases that are about half-way between gig bags and traditional hardshell cases, and they are just great.

As for cherry...it's wonderful. Tonally I'd put it right there with walnut with perhaps a tiny bit more sustain. The notes have good definition, and the wood works about equally well for low G or reentrant high G tuning. It is perhaps the most photosensitive wood we use other than Western red cedar. I love the look...it darkens over the years with exposure to light to a beautiful rich red toned color which got it called "American Mahogany" by some of the cabinet makers of the 18th and 19th centuries. It also takes finish really nicely. It's a hugely under-appreciated lutherie wood, though it was extensively used for banjo necks in the late 1800s. A lot of the S.S.Stewart banjos that you'd maybe think had mahogany necks are actually cherry.

what a coincidence.... I ordered my CR tenor from Rick one week ago, and another 7 weeks waiting... hmmhmm....

Would like to see a photo of the bag it comes with. Will it hold the humidity if case humidified?

Here's a link to a similar soprano/concert bag (couldn't find a tenor bag online:http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AUB1.htm

I suck at posting pictures on this forum, so here's the best I could do:gigbag1.jpg

You can't tell from either pic, but the bag is very rigid, and in my opinion would work just as well as any hard case would in the "harsh winters" that you're worried about.

Top Bottom