PDA

View Full Version : 10 - 20 Sander mod's

Timbuck
09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
I had a spare dial gauge doing nothing ..so I mounted it on my Jet Thickness Sander...now I can work within a 100th of a millimetre ( I know it won't be that accurate but it sounds good) :)..One rev of the dial = 0.2 mm , 1/2 rev= 0.1mm, 5 rev's = 1mm ... I can now take some of the guesswork out of sanding to size. :D
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0012-3.jpg

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-23-2011, 08:56 AM
That's a great idea Ken. There seems to be a bit of slop in my adjustment wheel so a gauge like that would tell me just how much difference 1/4 turn on the wheel is making.

Rick Turner
09-23-2011, 09:04 AM
And it looks much more SteamPunk this way. More brass and copper, though!

Allen
09-23-2011, 10:00 AM
I've got a dial gauge sitting around doin' nothing as well. Guess where it's going. Thanks Ken.

mzuch
09-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Does the bracket on which the gauge sits interfere with the door when changing sanding belts?

Timbuck
09-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Does the bracket on which the gauge sits interfere with the door when changing sanding belts?
Yes! you're quite right" it get's in the way" ( I already found that out)..so tomorrow I'm going to move it to another position "Maybe the other side"..Tho' its just a matter of removing one screw to get at the belt..but us men are lazy git's and it has to be right:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I have dial indicators with a magnetic base (from Harbor Freight I think) that would fit right on the feed belt switch housing. The magnetic base is very strong and operates with a lever.

Rick Turner
09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
My girlfriend says I work with a lever, too. And the magnetic attraction is very strong...

resoman
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
This is a very good idea. Thanks a bunch!!

Kekani
09-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I've got a dial gauge sitting around doin' nothing as well. Guess where it's going. Thanks Ken.

Too funny - I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

Ken, show some pics on where you end up moving it to. I don't like changing belts as it is, much less having to take off a screw to get to it. . .would never happen.

ksquine
09-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Hmm...can someone "loan" me a thickness sander to put a gauge on?? :iwant:

Timbuck
09-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Right..Now i've moved it to the other side co's there is another screw in the same position... so now changing the belt is just as easy it normaly is ;).....I noticed that one 1/4 turn of the handle moves the dial 0.25 mm on the dial so i recon the the screw thread must be errrrrrr:rolleyes: 1mm pitch :)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT0033-2.jpg

Pete Howlett
09-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Weird that isn't it because a quarter turn is down as 0.4mm on the legend on the top of the hand wheel housing. The assembly came loose on mine and I had a terrible job re-aligning everything - it's not as good as when I got it and I need to get the drum parallel... great idea but a very fiddley and tempramental machine.

Timbuck
09-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Weird that isn't it because a quarter turn is down as 0.4mm on the legend on the top of the hand wheel housing. The assembly came loose on mine and I had a terrible job re-aligning everything - it's not as good as when I got it and I need to get the drum parallel... great idea but a very fiddley and tempramental machine.
Yup! I agree there's sumpthin amiss there..I greased up the thread and try'd again this time I got 0.36 mm ( I should get 0.4)??? But the slides are a bit sticky and full of fine wood dust. ..the closest standard thread to whats on the machine (That I can find) is 1/2" 20 UNF.. if converted to metric should give a quarter turn of .3175mm..I suppose thats near enough to .4 for woodwork :)...I think i'll give up now before I bore everybody to death:o

Sven
09-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Too late... gasp choke

Rick Turner
09-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Whitworth?!! How about counting the threads in an inch of the thing...or in a few centimeters...and see what it is.

My milling machine setup is a maddening combination of metric and imperial parts, bolts, threads, and tooling. The bolts that lock the head are metric, the drawbar for the collets are imperial as are all my vice and hold-down bolts, the basic construction of the machine (a Jet) is metric, all my collets and tooling are imperial. The lead screws are metric. Blargh...

Kekani
09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
. . . a maddening combination of metric and imperial parts, bolts, threads, . . .

Sounds like my Harley Davidson (especially after I installed a Mikuni Carb). And my Bartolini preamp, which had 1 pot with a metric nut, the rest standard.

Guess "Made in the USA" can mean "assembled" in the USA. . .

Rick Turner
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Electronics are a real issue. So much of what's available is only made in metric, and then the US made stuff is imperial. And things like import jacks, which are made for 1/4" plugs the word over, have metric nuts that are so close but are not compatible with 3/8" nuts. Oh, well... And then there are Allen wrenches, and frankly, there's no excuse for having both metric and imperial with them. The differences among 1 mm, .050", 1.5 mm, and 1/16" Allen wrenches are so small as to ensure that you'll strip out some Allen screw heads along the way with wrenches that are a hair too small.

BlackBearUkes
09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I have had a 16-32 Performax machine for at least 8 years and use it on a regular basis. I use it without ever looking at any gauges and only use 80 grit paper. I have found that after a while you come to know exactly how much you need to remove and how much to crank it down simply by feel. I do measure the wood thickness with calipers when I feel I am close to what I want, but never rely on the machine to tell me how much.

Rick Turner
09-24-2011, 04:34 PM
There is a mechanical dial indicator on our Halsty wide belt sander, and it's great for knowing how far down from a particular setting you're cranking it, but it's useless for absolute measurement and it cannot be "zeroed" in. I'd love to be able to calibrate it, but no deal. There are now inexpensive electronic digital readouts, and I may just try one of those at some point. I'd love to put a pair of them on my resaw, too...one at each guide.

Timbuck
09-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I have had a 16-32 Performax machine for at least 8 years and use it on a regular basis. I use it without ever looking at any gauges and only use 80 grit paper. I have found that after a while you come to know exactly how much you need to remove and how much to crank it down simply by feel. I do measure the wood thickness with calipers when I feel I am close to what I want, but never rely on the machine to tell me how much. Thats how i do it usually :)

Timbuck
09-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Any way.... today I found my thread gauge set and checked it again...
its 9/16" UNF at 18 TPI...so A quarter turn of the wheel will give you .014" or .352mm .. I got .36 mm on the gauge so i'ts fairly accurate...(Now I can sleep at night)...but the 16 -32 machine may have a different thread size :)..So now "Back on your heads"!