What's your beside-the-door uke for a stray minute of play?

GinnyT11

Reaction score
What's the uke you can put your hand on fastest when you have five minutes of waiting (e.g., for the mailman to get to your house, for your family to get ready to leave). This probably isn't your favorite playing uke, as that will be sleeping in a case with a humidifier. This one's okay to keep out.

What do you play in those stray minutes?

I just keep my good stuff out ready to play! My current favorite uke is a Kala KA-KTG-CT (Cedar top/Koa back+sides). I added a walrus saddle and Gotoh tuners. It's currently sitting on top of my printer, but it also lives on the couch, dresser.... I'm waiting on a new custom uke, but that one will probably live in its' case. At least for the first couple months, then off to the top of my printer it shall live!

My Fluke and Kiwaya K-Wave are both propped against the wall in their gig bags in the computer room, between the bookcase and the CD rack. Whichever one is on top of the other that day will be the one I reach for.

My concert Pineapple Flea hangs on the wall in my office. It's my quickie grab-n-play.
-Joe

I have all the gig bags with my Ukes inside by my wheelchair and desk, and usually whichever is the current one in play is near enough to grab (and almost always in tune) so it's that one I grab, right now it's Cora - my Clearwater Vita Soprano, I love getting to know new Ukes, but also going back to old ones and rediscovering my love for them. :D

Fluke.....its ease of playing and it stands on its own so its never put in its bag...just grab and play.

My lanikai pineapple uke. This was my first and only uke until a few days ago. My new Kala mahogany pocket uke will probably become the new grab and play favourite. I play the few chords and riffs I know.

All my ukes are out and somewhat near the door...it's a small apartment :rolleyes:

I'd have to say my Johnny Marvin is my favorite. My Makala soprano is coming with me to South Dakota on a climbing trip, though! Does that count?

depending on what i feel like playin', it's either the risa LP (pretty often unplugged, just with the tiny sound of strings) or the kala slimline if i can be loud :D

but last year, i hadn't bought those yet, so it was the flea indeed, AAAALLLLLWAYS :)

maybe it will be the flea again after i try different strings on it.... :)

Depends on which tuning I need...

C: Kamaka HF-1
D: Islander Uke
B flat: The "Singing" Treholipee

Mi Fluke sin dudas...

Its really durable and therefore I have no problems leaving it standing on the floor within reach of my 2 year old and myself. Also, it stays in tune better than any other uke I have.

My Mainland Mahogany tenor.

I bought an Islander Soprano Ukulele MSS - 4. I was not real happy with the way it sounded with the Aquilla strings it shipped with so I put on some Worth clears...big difference. Then I looked around the room and thought to myself...this would be real pretty hanging on the wall. So I bought my first wall hanger.

So there you go...gonna reach for it in just a sec.

Last edited:
I keep my Oscar Schmidt OU-2 sits out of the gig bag since it's just an all laminated job (though sounds really good with Aquilas), so since that's the one out of the case, that's they one I always pick up to strum out a song or two.

Dan

1930's May Bell Banjo Uke...which will never see a case. It is always out, right where I need it

My Kala archtop jazz uke hangs on the wall with the rest. It's my "go to in a minute" uke. The Kamaka tenor sits next to the door in the case with the humidifier. Although, It's the Kamaka that hangs around my neck from the time I get home from work, until I go to bed.

mya moe koa soprano. So cute, sings like a bird, heaps of volume and sweet as. Shucks...I don't really have a 'beater' anymore. I just loooove the tone of that uke. It makes me happy I guess!

My new Eleuke has taken over this job--if I have a few spare minutes, I can pull it out and not annoy the wife (unlike its predecessor in the role, my Cordoba concert). Unplugged, it's very quiet, yet the tone is way better than I expected. Of course, if I have the house to myself, it's Kala tenor(which I keep on the wall) all the way.

Top Bottom