PDA

View Full Version : What's your beside-the-door uke for a stray minute of play?

GinnyT11
09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
What's the uke you can put your hand on fastest when you have five minutes of waiting (e.g., for the mailman to get to your house, for your family to get ready to leave). This probably isn't your favorite playing uke, as that will be sleeping in a case with a humidifier. This one's okay to keep out.

What do you play in those stray minutes?

mr moonlight
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I just keep my good stuff out ready to play! My current favorite uke is a Kala KA-KTG-CT (Cedar top/Koa back+sides). I added a walrus saddle and Gotoh tuners. It's currently sitting on top of my printer, but it also lives on the couch, dresser.... I'm waiting on a new custom uke, but that one will probably live in its' case. At least for the first couple months, then off to the top of my printer it shall live!

uke4ia
09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
My Fluke and Kiwaya K-Wave are both propped against the wall in their gig bags in the computer room, between the bookcase and the CD rack. Whichever one is on top of the other that day will be the one I reach for.

joekulele
09-23-2011, 12:17 PM
My concert Pineapple Flea hangs on the wall in my office. It's my quickie grab-n-play.
-Joe

joeybug
09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I have all the gig bags with my Ukes inside by my wheelchair and desk, and usually whichever is the current one in play is near enough to grab (and almost always in tune) so it's that one I grab, right now it's Cora - my Clearwater Vita Soprano, I love getting to know new Ukes, but also going back to old ones and rediscovering my love for them. :D

v30
09-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Fluke.....its ease of playing and it stands on its own so its never put in its bag...just grab and play.

Shakespeare
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
My lanikai pineapple uke. This was my first and only uke until a few days ago. My new Kala mahogany pocket uke will probably become the new grab and play favourite. I play the few chords and riffs I know.

bynapkinart
09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
All my ukes are out and somewhat near the door...it's a small apartment :rolleyes:

I'd have to say my Johnny Marvin is my favorite. My Makala soprano is coming with me to South Dakota on a climbing trip, though! Does that count?

nickie_66
09-23-2011, 01:43 PM
depending on what i feel like playin', it's either the risa LP (pretty often unplugged, just with the tiny sound of strings) or the kala slimline if i can be loud :D

but last year, i hadn't bought those yet, so it was the flea indeed, AAAALLLLLWAYS :)

maybe it will be the flea again after i try different strings on it.... :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Depends on which tuning I need...

C: Kamaka HF-1
D: Islander Uke
B flat: The "Singing" Treholipee

Eriquito
09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Its really durable and therefore I have no problems leaving it standing on the floor within reach of my 2 year old and myself. Also, it stays in tune better than any other uke I have.

chindog
09-23-2011, 02:27 PM
My Mainland Mahogany tenor.

Waterguy
09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
I bought an Islander Soprano Ukulele MSS - 4. I was not real happy with the way it sounded with the Aquilla strings it shipped with so I put on some Worth clears...big difference. Then I looked around the room and thought to myself...this would be real pretty hanging on the wall. So I bought my first wall hanger.

So there you go...gonna reach for it in just a sec.

dhoenisch
09-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I keep my Oscar Schmidt OU-2 sits out of the gig bag since it's just an all laminated job (though sounds really good with Aquilas), so since that's the one out of the case, that's they one I always pick up to strum out a song or two.

Dan

janeray1940
09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
That's what the Kiwaya thinline pineapple is for - it doesn't even live in a case, just sits on a shelf above my desk.

TCK
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
1930's May Bell Banjo Uke...which will never see a case. It is always out, right where I need it

mybote
09-23-2011, 08:36 PM
My Kala archtop jazz uke hangs on the wall with the rest. It's my "go to in a minute" uke. The Kamaka tenor sits next to the door in the case with the humidifier. Although, It's the Kamaka that hangs around my neck from the time I get home from work, until I go to bed.

Hippie Dribble
09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
mya moe koa soprano. So cute, sings like a bird, heaps of volume and sweet as. Shucks...I don't really have a 'beater' anymore. I just loooove the tone of that uke. It makes me happy I guess!

specialk13
09-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Gotta be my Kanilea......

greyghost
09-24-2011, 07:08 AM
My new Eleuke has taken over this job--if I have a few spare minutes, I can pull it out and not annoy the wife (unlike its predecessor in the role, my Cordoba concert). Unplugged, it's very quiet, yet the tone is way better than I expected. Of course, if I have the house to myself, it's Kala tenor(which I keep on the wall) all the way.

nix
09-24-2011, 08:28 AM
It seems like I change about every week. Last week my Kala travel soprano sat in a stand beside my computer chair in the living room and I played it whenever I had a moment. This week it is my Luna dolphin concert. Whichever one is in the stand in the library/conservatory gets played for more serious "trying to learn a song" practice.

Fun question!

Nix

Doc_J
09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a Tiki Mug Fluke hanging by my office door to play when ever i get a chance.
It never goes in a case, and needs no special humidification.
And it looks good on the wall too!

blender
09-24-2011, 04:33 PM
That's easy: the concert Flea. I can leave it standing up or lying on the dining room table and pick it up anytime.
I'm less concerned about this uke being damaged by casual abuse than some of the others.

guitarsnrotts
09-25-2011, 03:42 AM
My Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple Soprano. Hanging on the living room wall.

Manalishi
09-25-2011, 07:13 AM
My Rob Collins soprano 'lives' in its case,next to my favourite
armchair! In another room,four of my other ukuleles and my
home made banjo - ukulele hang out,so i am never short of
choices!

Lalz
11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
My cheapo Mahalo, always ready to go! It's purple and nicely compliments the colour palette of living-room furniture - in particular my sofa - so I just keep it there. That way it's also at arms reach whenever I seat down to chill.

SailQwest
11-14-2011, 01:09 PM
We have our Applause tenor sitting in the living room in between our recliners. It's good to have a uke within easy reach. :D

kaizersoza
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
there are 2 my main man is the fluke, and lately i have been takin my dolphin with me as well coz its small and easy to transport

mattydee
11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Usually it's the Mainland red cedar soprano... Though the Eleuke concert pineapple is often near at hand, too. And, come to think of it, so is the Kala acacia. They all live out in stands in my study, until the hygrometer says 45- then they go in their cases.

Big_e
11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
My Lanikai Concert. Not a beater, by any means, I just don't have a case for it yet so it hangs on the wall in my computer room.
Ernest