PDA

View Full Version : Uke newbie in town :)

uke.hwang
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi everyone :),

I would like to say hello to all the avid ukulele fans in this wonderful community. I recently decided on a whim to start learning the ukulele although I had absolutely no prior knowledge about the instrument.

I still haven't purchased my first ukulele but I have been researching online for quite a while and I'm still not 100% sure about which one to get!

I know that I want the tenor size, but I am still undecided.
I have kind of narrowed it down to the Makai MT-70 Tenor Ukulele
but I read on UU that the same place I want to order it from (nicomsupply on ebay) had bad setup. So that was a bit discouraging. He went on to say that he had to sand the saddle for a long time and that he upgraded the strings to aquila...

Okay, so I have never had an ukulele before and now that MGM isnt around it is kind of a bad situation... but I was wondering if a newbie like me could do the same? And also, for the aquila strings, even if i got them, would I be able to put them on correctly?

Help!

-Stressed newbie :confused:

PhilUSAFRet
09-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi stressed! First, insure you have reviewed the section in this Form (Ukulele Beginners) at the top of the page re: which uke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?11346-Info-Thread-Entry-Level-Ukuleles

Several sellers come to mind that do great setups. You may get some more recommendations, but here I go:

Hawaiimusicsupply (also known as theukulelesite.com)
MIM's Ukes
Uke Republic
Elderly's
and for a little more, don't overlook Mainlandukes.com

gyosh
09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
MIM's Ukes
Uke Republic
Elderly's

You don't want to leave Ukulele Uprising off of this list :o

And welcome to the site uke.hwang!!

uke.hwang
09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi stressed! First, insure you have reviewed the section in this Form (Ukulele Beginners) at the top of the page re: which uke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?11346-Info-Thread-Entry-Level-Ukuleles

Several sellers come to mind that do great setups. You may get some more recommendations, but here I go:

MIM's Ukes
Uke Republic
Elderly's

Thanks! I think I found a really great deal for the uke at uke republic! It was just what I was looking for at an extraordinary price.
I think I will end up buying this ones since they give setups and upgrade the strings as well!

uke.hwang
09-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks gyosh!
After looking through the sites, I found the perfect one for me. Thanks for the advice!