PDA

View Full Version : Flea and/or Fluke Ukuleles

rklicsu
02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I am considering picking up either a Flea or Fluke Ukulele and I was wondering what everyones take is on these instruments? I understand they are injection moulded plastic body and was wondering how are they compared to a "standard" Uke (sound, playability, tone, etc)? If you have one, are you happy with it? Any up/down sides? Do you prefer the Flea over the Fluke or visa-versa? Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance.

puremarkska
02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I've had a tenor Fluke for about 4 years now and I've been really happy with it since the day I got it. I ordered it online when I was in Colorado, mainly because it's dry there and humidity is an issue with most ukes. Not with the Fluke. The top is made of pine, which resists contraction and expansion pretty well and the plastic body keeps it rigid. It's a tough instrument that's stood up well, even in the face of all the carelessness I constantly throw at it.

Sound-wise it's a little bright, but as long as you've got decent strings on it, the thing stays in tune really well and has really nice projection and volume.

Another great thing about it is the flat bottom. When I'm home, it's usually standing at arms distance from my computer ready to be played when I need it, and I really like using it when I teach because I can put it down anywhere at any time to help students.

Downsides ... like I've written in other posts, the pickup I got with it is a little soft plugged in, because it's not active. (But now, it looks like you can order it with a Pickup w/preamp, but it will cost you another $165). And finally, Flukes have kind of a stigma. At least in Hawaii, I've noticed that because it doesn't look like a traditional ukulele, people tend to take you less seriously if they see you with a Fluke. They usually think it's a toy. But that just makes it even more impressive when they hear how good it sounds.

titoboy5
02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
flukes are too bright for me ,but i still want one just want one to keep in the car so i can jam any where and not have to baby it like how i baby all my other ukes.

kharmachanic
02-06-2008, 06:08 AM
I have a Fluke Concert, wouldnt be without it.
It as has been said a little bright. But if you load it up with a Low "G" set of strings it will add a little low end. Overall great to have, flat bottom.. stands anywhere.. very durable... heat resistant.. not terribly expensive.
I have vintage concert Kamakas, and they are far superior in sound quality, but not good with the "falling off the counter" test.
My fluke has been rained on.. frozen.. baked... kickeded.. dropped.. and still she is there..
Even uke players.. "who are in general "the coolest peeps in the land" can be a bit arrogant. "People in hawaii think a fluke a toy" imagine that, since most of the people in the world think the uke in itself is but a toy..

"My reputation exceeds me" Kharmachanic

NukeDOC
02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
when i first saw a fluke, i thought it was just one of those novelty ukes. the plastic fretboard was funny to me. then i played one. i was suprised to say the least. but when i found out how much they cost, i still couldnt bring myself to get one. but thats just me. durability factor is big with me, since im such a clutz. but not for over $100 IMO.

jjsdad
02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I played on a fluke a few days ago and found that the plastic rounded back was very distracting. It kept slipping against my sweatshirt and I couldn't walk around or even stand while playing. Not sure if that is a consideration or not in buying a fluke.

mako
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I've got my fluke for 7 years now.
I've been touring with it, jamming anywhere, lend it to my sons...
This is the "cross country" version of the ukulele.
You can even walk with it ;-)
Yes it's a bit bright, but it's really loud. It's not the best sounding uke but with proper strings you can get a good result. And it keeps the tuning !
The only bad thing is that the plastic frets can be damage after several years of use. If you got enough budget, I would advise you to choose a rosewood fretboard.

Ukeguy510
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Bump.

So what strings would you guys recommend for a Fluke/Flea? The Hilo strings that came with my Flea (concert neck) seem a little small and have to apply quite some pressure when fretting those complicated chords.

I'm teetering between Aquila Nylguts or Ko'olau Golds.

bluesuke
03-15-2008, 07:38 AM
I use Aquila they realy changed the sound. more low end. I would pay a little more and get the rose wood fret board.my fluke has bad fret wear. I got a message for a nother uu member NotoriousMOK he told me to contact the flea/ fluke that they might fix it . So I did and they will no charge. Or I can up grade to a rose wood board for 85$. I think I will up grade.

mwalimu
03-15-2008, 08:36 AM
I've had three fleas/flukes. They are an excellent value. The sound always reminds me of a resonator guitar, loud, a wee bit harsh, but cool. Two of them have rosewood fret boards and I would go with that. For one thing, the intonation is spot on all over the neck. For another, you can use wound strings, which is not possible on the plastic fret board models (they chew up the plastic). However, for the money you pay for the fretboard, you can also buy a pretty decent wooden uke.

I have Aquilla strings on all of my ukes and it made a big difference in the sound.

NotoriousMOK
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I've got both a Flea/soprano and a Fluke/concert and have been really happy with both. The both have the molded(polywhatzit) fretboard. My first buy was the Fluke, because it was middle ground size-wise and the durability of these was and is reputed to be fantastic. I'm a campfire guy and a desert rat, so I knew whatever I bought would take it's share of tumbles no matter how careful I was (sober:rolleyes:). It was a good pick and if I had a regret today it would only be that I did not get the rosewood fretboard, but this is a minor one as if/when they wear the mfg will replace for free (and the additional cost at the time was a deal-breaker for me).

I also have the Flea, which I got a little less than 2 years after the Fluke, because I wanted a more 'toyish' or soprano sound. Plus I thought the Tiki design was really cool.

I play and enjoy them both for different styles and sounds. Put a gun to my head and make me choose one over the other, I'd be screwed. I love 'em both. They have both been dropped counter-high nearly half a dozen times and have survived with only a nick or two and still sound as good or better than day one.

As far as the poly vs. rosewood fretboard thing, I would go rosewood if you are willing to part with the upgrade cost and/or you plan to play with WOUND Low G strings. Otherwise, the polywhatzit (both of mine have this) will be fine, just use Worth strings if you choose to go LowG. On the con side of the poly, a few YEARS later both of mine have developed a little wear at the molded 'nut' if you must call it that, and when I bend the C or E string I hear a faint, but annoying 'tick' as the string pops out of a tiny groove that the string has worn in the nut/fret (the poly board has a weird 'zero' fret right next to the nut). Now, I just recently purchased a new traditional style uke, which will occupy my attention exclusively for a while anyways, so I am sending my flea and fluke in to get the poly boards replaced with new poly boards free of charge. I am electing not to upgrade to the rosewood first because the $170 it would cost to upgrade could go towards my next UAS fix, and since I routinely take them both to 'hazardous environments' I want to keep the investment low. One last note on this point, the difference between getting it now and later is only $10, so you could save the money now and decide later.

---

Okay, somebody else asked about strings on these also, so here's my take;

My Flea came stock with Hilo's which were a little on the dead side for me. I switched out to Aquilas and that really opened the little guy up -- more volume and the higher string tension felt good. This was great for a quite some time, but after playing them for some time I found that they were too bright, even a little raspy (to me) when you really start jammin' on them. I realized that I leaned towards a more gentle strum to keep the sound sweet. Also, their texture was a little noisy when sliding up/down on the fretboard.

I recently switched to the Worth CM's (Clear, Medium Tension) and I think this is a really good fit. I still have the volume I had with the Aquilas, and they are a smooth finish, so no more finger noise. I can strum gently or hard and they still sound good.

---

On to the Fluke -- again I did not like the Hilo's, but on this one I like the LowG tuning, and since Aquila only carries these with a wound LowG, I tried the Worth CM-LG instead (Clear, Medium tension, Low G) so I would not have to use a wound string. The overall volume was a bit weak in this case, also the LowG and C had an unappealing 'thunky' sound.

I switched to the Worth CD-LG (Clear, Denser Tension, Low G) and found my happy place. Good volume, no thunk, a really good fit, so my search is over.

Have fun!

Ukeguy510
03-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks! I just ordered the Worth CM.

The warranty provided with the Fleas/Flukes is 3 years (customer support seems really good too). Plus I got a great deal on this Flea ($120 brand new). I guess the demand for Lava Fleas isn't that great? My only complaint are the tuning pegs. Should be a non-issue if the strings can stay in tune.

russ_buss
03-17-2008, 07:18 AM
i just dropped my fluke from table height to the hardwood floor, and other than going out of tune, there's not a dent or scratch. thank god for plastics!

haha, i'm such a klutz...

Ukeguy510
03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I just put on the Worth CM stings. Boy do the Hilos suck compared to these. It also seems easier to play now :)

NotoriousMOK
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I use the same on my flea -- they will take a couple days to settle in. Glad you like 'em -- have fun!

guitarguy159
03-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Bump.

So what strings would you guys recommend for a Fluke/Flea? The Hilo strings that came with my Flea (concert neck) seem a little small and have to apply quite some pressure when fretting those complicated chords.

I'm teetering between Aquila Nylguts or Ko'olau Golds.

the aquillas have more of a bright sound while the ko'olaus have a more deep resonating sound.
i would recomend the ko'olau golds cuz the plastic and pine (or whateve hardwood they use) has more of a twangy sound
so with the ko'olau strings should balance it out enough

guitarguy159
03-20-2008, 11:52 PM
and about how people are saying that people from hawaii consider this toyish
yes i agree that a lot of people do think that
but i think its pretty good bring made out of plastic

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-21-2008, 12:10 AM
So let me get this straight, is there only 1 type of flea ukulele? just in different sizes??

I typed in flea ukulele and they all same pictures, just different colors.

So im assuming - the flea ukulele that you can win, thats the flea ukulele??

thanks

bluesuke
03-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Thats right

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-21-2008, 01:03 AM
oh ok thats cool, im really considering buying one.

They don't have different brands do they? Or are they all the same? I see that most of them average bewteen $150-$300. I want to buy this tiki one, looks nice
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/tikibro.jpg

I mean brands by, for example, lanikai, kamaka, kala etc... i see they got different pictures.

I don't want to buy a cheap one for $300 thinking its 300 when its really worth 30

tad
04-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Nah, man-- Fluke and Flea *are* the brand names-- they're owned by the guy who runs fleamarketmusic.com...

uluapoundr
04-13-2008, 10:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the flea is a soprano size, then there is the concert and tenor size flukes (the tenor may just be a longer neck concert, that's how it was a few years ago when I last checked). I own a concert fluke and love it. As with most solid top intruments, the more I played it, the better it sounds. If you have a chance to play before buying, try them all out and pick a good one, as goes with buying any ukulele. My mom was a fluke distributor, so I got to choose the one that sounded the best. My $200 fluke outplays some $400 koa ukuleles, don't let the plastic parts fool you.

As for strings, I have been out of the uke scene for about 5 years, but when I was comparing strings, I found the Savarez Alliance strings to be the best for sound and sustain. I was actually distributing the Savarez strings because I loved them so much. Jake was my biggest customer odering oodles of them, after all, if you played with your teeth, you'd need to change strings often too:D.

Plainsong
04-14-2008, 02:49 AM
There are concert Fleas now too, at least if you buy from Flea Market.

nikolo727
04-14-2008, 05:19 AM
GARGGG i want a flea uke so bad!!

then ima getta risa uke solid.

i just used my birthday money to get a white darth vader psp though.

woot

northern uke
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
The Flea is a soprano and a concert neck is optional. The Fluke is about Tenor size and has 2 sizes of neck availale as well. Various graphics are available for the Hoop pine tops. The fretboard is plastic unless you upgrade to the rosewood for 70$. Some people like the plastic for the beach and camping, others like the rosewood for playability and the fact that the black plastic can make seeing the frets and black strings hard to see. But everyone agrees that for the price you can't get a better intonating, louder uke. It's also durable and best of all ot stands up on it's own! You would not believe how handy it's standing trick is until you've tried it.

russ_buss
04-14-2008, 11:17 AM
You would not believe how handy it's standing trick is until you've tried it.

ain't that the truth!

it's much better than "hey hold this for me while i tie my shoes". the built in uke-stand mechanism is amazing technology! :D

NotoriousMOK
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
haha until recently, I had been spoiled by these flat-bottom ukes, my new uke is more traditional, so now I'm too chicken to set it down anywhere

14twelve
04-21-2008, 04:11 AM
I just got my flea a couple of weeks ago. I love the loudness and the tone! It has a really nice bright tone, and it came upgraded with Aquila strings and is really easy to play. I got it from Musiccitycairns on eBay - great site for any other Australians looking for a new uke - Gaby who runs the store is really helpful and she posted it the day that I bought it. I was tossing up over colours, so she even took a photo of them all next to each other and sent it to me to help me decide :) I got the Mango Flea with the rosewood fretboard with the concert neck.

Here's a pic:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/14twelve/SAyeqRSN-EI/AAAAAAAAAZs/bHI3pLNJUdE/s400/flea.jpg

Came with a really nice padded bag which my cat took over as soon as it arrived :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/14twelve/SAyXNRSN-DI/AAAAAAAAAZk/eS1BYUkXc4c/s400/bailey%20on%20flea%20bag%201.jpg

la_ingrit
04-21-2008, 04:33 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/14twelve/SAyeqRSN-EI/AAAAAAAAAZs/bHI3pLNJUdE/s400/flea.jpg

i love that color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14twelve
04-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Me too! I wanted to post a photo because on the Flea Market website the Mango actually looked quite pale, but it's actually a really deep orange. I was tossing up between this one and the Tiki Surf, but now I'm really glad I got this one.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
i want the tiki surf.. i need to buy one bad :D

I want a concert tiki flea ukulele.. soon

Plainsong
04-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Like I "needed" the koa Flea that's almost ready to ship. :D

That mango looks sweet. Before they started offering the koa again, that was on my short list. Now if it had blue flames I'd be all over it. Blue and orange together is my favorite color combo.

Photojosh
04-21-2008, 05:00 PM
If you can afford it, rosewood fretboard is the way to go. But if you cannot (or are looking for the toughest ukulele you can find) the plastic fretboard is perfectly playable.

14twelve
04-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Like I "needed" the koa Flea that's almost ready to ship. :D

That mango looks sweet. Before they started offering the koa again, that was on my short list. Now if it had blue flames I'd be all over it. Blue and orange together is my favorite color combo.

I'd love to see a pic of your koa Flea when you get it :)

Plainsong
04-21-2008, 11:25 PM
This is what I found to keep my eyes occupied while I wait. I even splurged for the new Flea hardcase since it's being shipped from the US to Finland and all. :)

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2057601740045986915LiVHjR

14twelve
04-22-2008, 01:20 AM
*drool* that's beautiful. I love the grain in the wood! Hope you get it soon!

Live2Sponge
04-22-2008, 02:46 AM
oh ok thats cool, im really considering buying one.

They don't have different brands do they? Or are they all the same? I see that most of them average bewteen $150-$300. I want to buy this tiki one, looks nice
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/lolploppoo/tikibro.jpg

I mean brands by, for example, lanikai, kamaka, kala etc... i see they got different pictures.

I don't want to buy a cheap one for $300 thinking its 300 when its really worth 30

this is the one i have!! good stuff right there. gets complimented all the time :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-22-2008, 02:56 AM
this is the one i have!! good stuff right there. gets complimented all the time :)

u got a youtube account with a vid of it?? i wanan hear the sound and what it actually looks like :D

Vroom
04-22-2008, 06:59 AM
I know everyone seems to like the flea ukes or flukes... But i just can't seem to get my head wrapped around the shape of it... It just doesn't do it for me.

Plainsong
04-22-2008, 07:27 AM
For me that's the custom boat paddle uke. I love the sound I hear in the demo sound clips but the thing is hideous. That said, that doesn't mean that perhaps it won't go on my list. :)

robha
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM

My wife got me an electric concert Flea Tiki King for my 50th birthday. It has the rosewood fret board. I do like it very much. I took off the stock strings and put some Martins on it and I think it sound pretty good. I started playing Oct. of 2007 and I wish I could play as good as a uke such as this deserves, but I will get there!!!! Plugged in it sound pretty darn good too.

Ukeguy510
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey robha-

Does your Flea have the undersaddle pickup or the SBT? Have you played it plugged in yet? I'm thinkin of putting a pickup but everyone says to just mic my uke, bleh.

NatalieS
08-10-2008, 04:23 AM
I was tossing up over colours, so she even took a photo of them all next to each other and sent it to me to help me decide :)

Ooh, do you still have this picture by any chance, and could you post it? I'd like to know what all the colors look like in real life. They sure are different from the stock photos on FMM.

ichadwick
08-10-2008, 05:01 AM
I have a concert Fluke - natural finish - with gig bag I would sell (to help finance the purchase of yet another tenor uke, a six-string). If anyone's interested... excellent condition and only a few months old. I just don't like concert scale as much as tenor.

polynesianpop
08-10-2008, 05:45 AM
I have a concert Fluke - natural finish - with gig bag I would sell (to help finance the purchase of yet another tenor uke, a six-string). If anyone's interested... excellent condition and only a few months old. I just don't like concert scale as much as tenor.

ichadwick, I might be interested. What price are you asking for???

Plainsong
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Just throwing this out there, but the option of plastic-backed ukes doesn't end with Flukes/Fleas and Ovations. I played an Ohana solid spruce top with plastic back today, and it was teh hawesome. It felt nice to play, and it sounded great to hear. Only the ugly logo on the headstock is a minus. Sound and playability-wise. No one can go wrong getting that little Ohana. Wow!

14twelve
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Ooh, do you still have this picture by any chance, and could you post it? I'd like to know what all the colors look like in real life. They sure are different from the stock photos on FMM.

Hi Natalie, I don't have that pic of the three of them lined up anymore, but I have a pic of the two that I have bought - a Blueberry Fluke, and a Mango Flea.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/14twelve/SJ-hEh8V6JI/AAAAAAAAAhU/6Qlt40IbLOY/s800/P1010373_2.JPG

Being outside, the colour is very accurate. The Blueberry Fluke isn't made anymore though, so you'd probably have to find that one on eBay or a music store that has some old stock. Hope that helps!

Boozelele
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Those are some good looking ukes michelle. :)

leaveit2jane
08-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm a huge fan of Flukes and Fleas. I gave my Fluke with the rosewood fretboard to a deserving young person who travels with it and plays it all the time. I will surely replace it as it was so durable, convenient to set down and pick up, good sounding, and just plain fun to play!

freedive135
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I really like the neck and fret board on your mango hmmmm I wonder if I should have them replace my hibscus's and send me back the neck then I could build a cigar box uke, hmmmmm

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
mango fleas look so nice

ichadwick
08-11-2008, 01:07 AM
ichadwick, I might be interested. What price are you asking for???
You can check the prices on FMM - make me an offer. I'll consider anything reasonable. Shipping to the USA is about $35. It's not a fire sale, but I prefer the tenor version a lot more. And I want to finance a six-string uke...

SamJ1206
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
i got a fluke surf with a rosewood fretboard in april, and i am over the moon with it still. its my favourite out of all my ukes. also
the company flea market music where i bought it from are really helpful, their customer service is excellent. i prefer the fluke to the flea, but the flea sounds more of a traditional sound rather than the more unconventional sounding fluke. but i adore my fluke

ichadwick
08-12-2008, 01:03 AM
i got a fluke surf with a rosewood fretboard in april...
If I ever get another Fluke, the rosewood fretboard is a must.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-12-2008, 02:26 AM
yes its a must..
if it costs more... its worth it IMO

lu-21t got a rosewood fretboard, sound sgood... not sure what it would sould like with out rosewood fretboard, but it sounds good... thats all that matters

SamJ1206
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
i dont think the fret board does make a difference to the sound

but it has been known for the plastic one to wear down with excessive use.

also you cant put wound strings onto the plactic fretboard because it tears it up.

but i spoke to Molly (sweetafton23) before i bought my fluke and asked her about hers, she told me it was a plastic fretboard and it was simply fantasic. she had no complaints about wearig down of the fretboard atall.

so if you have the money go for it, but dont feel like your missing out on anything if you chose not to o for it.

NatalieS
08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Natalie, I don't have that pic of the three of them lined up anymore, but I have a pic of the two that I have bought - a Blueberry Fluke, and a Mango Flea.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/14twelve/SJ-hEh8V6JI/AAAAAAAAAhU/6Qlt40IbLOY/s800/P1010373_2.JPG

Being outside, the colour is very accurate. The Blueberry Fluke isn't made anymore though, so you'd probably have to find that one on eBay or a music store that has some old stock. Hope that helps!

Thanks very much! The blueberry is actually what I'm after, and I've found an online store that still carries the color. I think I may have to just get the blueberry Flea and hand my mango over to my mom who's been lusting after it. :) I love the Flea so much!

Anyways, thanks again!

CDon
08-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I got the Mango Flea with the rosewood fretboard with the concert neck.

Here's a pic:

From the pictures it looks like the walnut neck and upgraded bridge were also added... The features of the Surf Flea but with a mango top? Very pretty Flea!

NatalieS
08-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey guys, if anyone is interested I've found an online dealer that still carries a few of the discontinued colors (Blueberry and Palm). They sell just the basic soprano-sized Flea and concert Fluke with plastic fretboards. But still, great prices and free shipping within the U.S.! I decided to get a blueberry Flea even though I already have a mango, which I'll hand over to my mom because she likes it so much. :)

Anyways, here's the link: www.orchestore.com

deach
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
You've probably seen this and I know I'm patting my back but I love Adelle's Fluke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=388

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=389

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=391

Ame
08-15-2008, 09:43 AM
omg, that Fluke looks awesome! How'd she do it?

SailQwest
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
You've probably seen this and I know I'm patting my back but I love Adelle's Fluke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=388

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=389

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=61&pictureid=391

This is the coolest Fluke I've ever seen!!! :love:

deach
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
omg, that Fluke looks awesome! How'd she do it?

It's a custom tenor. I worked with Dale, the inventor of the Fluke/Flea. We talked about my ideas and I sent him the font I wanted to use and the graphics. I worked with his graphics guy to get the layout right. They made a Fluke-sized decal and applied it to a Fluke in progress. It was clear-coated and a Rosewood fretboard was installed.

It was easy working with them but I also knew pretty much exactly what I wanted. The process took about 7-8 weeks because I'm so damned picky but usually takes less time. The cost is less than most custom ukuleles and not too much over the cost of a designer Fluke.

Here's the video of her opening it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-JWqTEkHY

sukie
08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Wow!!! Deach, you're the best. Adelle's video is priceless.

Adelle, you must be pretty special. While I wouldn't call the uke beautiful, it's fantastic. I hope you get tons of enjoyment out of it. Congrats!

LoMa
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey deach,

I thought you painted the fluke - I had no idea you had a custom done!

vurry cool.

UkeCanDoIt!
08-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Wow, I love that Fluke! Nice job!! I don't know why, but I want to get a Fluke. Maybe because they're different? I've not heard one played, but they just look cool.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-16-2008, 12:33 AM
i like the colors etc of that fluke..
but i dont really like skulls
IMO

14twelve
08-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks very much! The blueberry is actually what I'm after, and I've found an online store that still carries the color. I think I may have to just get the blueberry Flea and hand my mango over to my mom who's been lusting after it. :) I love the Flea so much!

Anyways, thanks again!

No problem Natalie!! I hope you're able to get it ok! It really is a beautiful colour.

From the pictures it looks like the walnut neck and upgraded bridge were also added... The features of the Surf Flea but with a mango top? Very pretty Flea!

Hi CDon, yes, the rosewood fretboard is an optional extra which I got with my Flea. My Fluke has the plastic fretboard, and while I've heard that the rosewood one lasts longer, they both feel great to play. One benefit of the rosewood is that it is easier to see the frets - with the plastic one the frets are the same colour as the fretboard, so a little hard to see sometimes.

SailQwest
08-16-2008, 05:24 AM
My Fluke has the plastic fretboard, and while I've heard that the rosewood one lasts longer, they both feel great to play. One benefit of the rosewood is that it is easier to see the frets - with the plastic one the frets are the same colour as the fretboard, so a little hard to see sometimes.

Thanks for this information, Michelle! I've been thinking about getting a Flea so we have another beach ukulele, but I was torn about the rosewood vs. plastic fretboard.

mentalfloss
08-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Flea in the family today..... Its a GOOD day to buy another uke!
My 17 year old and I played a wall full of ukeleles and the poi-ple flea sounded great....winner winner chicken dinner!
Hannah now has her flea slung over her shoulder heading downtown to jam!
A great little ukelele for the money.:love:

GForce83
08-28-2008, 03:40 AM
So if I was going to buy a concert Flea (which i really want to do) the general consensus would be to get a rosewood fretboard and some Aquilla strings (if money was no object which, unfortunately it is) ?

UkeNinja
08-28-2008, 03:58 AM
It's a custom tenor
That is a damn sexy piece of equipment. Thumbs up man. :music::music::music:

What about the skulls, did you draw them or have the guys at the factory work out a design? That axe fully deserves the "F-bombs" in that video lol.

deach
08-28-2008, 04:21 AM

What about the skulls, did you draw them or have the guys at the factory work out a design? That axe fully deserves the "F-bombs" in that video lol.

I found the skull online and customized it a bit. I sent the skulls in jpg format and the font to the artist. I gave him a general idea of what i was looking for and couple renderings I was playing with. When I decided on the final layout, he made a Fluke-sized decal and printed it. The sound hole was cut out, the decal applied and then a couple layers of clear coat over it.

seeso
08-28-2008, 04:52 AM
So if I was going to buy a concert Flea (which i really want to do) the general consensus would be to get a rosewood fretboard and some Aquilla strings (if money was no object which, unfortunately it is) ?

If money is a concern, don't worry too much about the plastic fretboard. My Fluke with a plastic fretboard sounds and plays great.

russ_buss
08-28-2008, 05:03 AM
If money is a concern, don't worry too much about the plastic fretboard. My Fluke with a plastic fretboard sounds and plays great.

i'll have to agree with seņor seeso on this. i've had my fluke w/plastic fretboard since december AND i bought it second hand. the frets have no noticeable wear and i play the thing a lot.

GForce83
08-28-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks you guys. I think I'm going to head into town on the weekend and go see the guys at Duke Of Uke and have a play on them both.

From what I've seen I love the look of the Fleas and from what I've heard on YouTube and from reviewers I really like the sound (I'm a fan of brightness).

If I love it enough in the shop to know I want to keep it for ever and never worry about wear then I'll consider getting rosewood, if I love it a hell of a lot but know I'm going to want to buy a different uke in 6 months or so then I'll stick with plastic.

Thanks for your advice. I'll promise to post pictures of my happy face when I own one!

sukie
08-28-2008, 07:42 AM
My flea has the plastic fretboard. I couldn't see the 10th fret marking so I used nailpolish to make it easier to see. There are lots of ways to fix "problems". I love the brightness of the flea and I'm starting to use it as my main uke.

haole
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
The more I hear about Fleas/Flukes, the more tempted I am to pick one up. :o They sound like they'd be perfect for the beach. And the tiki finish is sweet!

Howlin Hobbit
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I have a soprano Tiki Flea. It rocks. It's sitting just to my left even as I type so I can pick it up and strum it at a whim. Like this...

...see? Sounds great!

Seriously though, I think you'll like it.

Mine has the rosewood fretboard, but that is because I bought it used and that's how it was. I've played the plastic ones and they're fine too.

UkeNinja
08-28-2008, 05:05 PM
As I seem to be the only one who experiences fret wear with the plastic version, I wonder how many people send in their Flea/Fluke to get it replaced for free? What to think of such service, is it just a nice gesture to those with gorilla grip or do they forget to put hardener in some batches of fretboard goo?

As for playability, that's not the problem (not being able to see your frets is a complaint I have never understood). Perhaps it's my imagination, but it feels like the touch is becoming a bit dull (frets flattened) on mine...

experimentjon
01-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Hmm, I don't have the coin to try getting one custom done by the company, but do you guys think putting a custom vinyl decal over the entire face of the fluke would dampen the noise much?

I'm thinking it'd be pretty easy to do with photoshop, and a place that makes vinyl stickers, then an exacto knife to cut it out...and of course, some mad sticker application skills.

I have the plastic fretboard, and I hope it lasts. But if it doesn't, I'd gladly buy another of these Flukes. It really is an amazing instrument.

deach
01-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Hmm, I don't have the coin to try getting one custom done by the company, but do you guys think putting a custom vinyl decal over the entire face of the fluke would dampen the noise much?

I'm thinking it'd be pretty easy to do with photoshop, and a place that makes vinyl stickers, then an exacto knife to cut it out...and of course, some mad sticker application skills.

I have the plastic fretboard, and I hope it lasts. But if it doesn't, I'd gladly buy another of these Flukes. It really is an amazing instrument.

As long as the decal isn't too thick, it won't effect the sound at all. The AdelleFluke was made that way. It's a Fluke-sized transfer applied to a black Fluke and clear-coated over a few times.

dominicfoundthemooon
02-21-2009, 07:21 AM
thus far... for the past 7 days or so... i have not put my flea down!! love it!!! and for 130 bucks from ebay... the indestruct-a-uke!!!!!!!!!!!

yes the flea is the.......

indestruct-a-uke!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: You can look through the headstock of the uke!! BIG PLUS!! Why you might ask... Magic thats how.. magic...

JT_Ukes
03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I just sent my Concert Tiki Flea off to get the Rosewood Upgrade. I've had the plastic fretboard for about a year, and there was some noticeable wear, even a notch or two.

Maybe I just Rock that hard. (this was with the original Hilo Strings)

I'll be putting Auillas on him, King Ooku, when he comes back (soon I hope!) I've heard the flea with those strings and they sound great.

JT

Renaissance-Man
03-09-2009, 12:19 PM
The flea is a wonderful uke. A best buy, for sure.

ukemike
03-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I know everyone seems to like the flea ukes or flukes... But i just can't seem to get my head wrapped around the shape of it... It just doesn't do it for me.

Boy if the shape of the Fluke is that much trouble for you, then don't, I repeat DON'T look at a singing treholipee. Your brain might explode.

thejumpingflea
03-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I just sent my Concert Tiki Flea off to get the Rosewood Upgrade. I've had the plastic fretboard for about a year, and there was some noticeable wear, even a notch or two.

Maybe I just Rock that hard. (this was with the original Hilo Strings)

I'll be putting Auillas on him, King Ooku, when he comes back (soon I hope!) I've heard the flea with those strings and they sound great.

JT

I had no idea you could send it in for an upgrade. How do you go about doing this and about how much does it cost? Thanks man.

ukemike
03-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I got my Fluke in about 2001. I've played it nearly every day since then (you'd think I'd be much better after all that playing!). Mine has a plastic fretboard with no sign of wear. Okay the paint on the fretmarkers wore off, but I repainted them with a layer of white nail polish, and a layer of glow-in-the-dark nailpolish on top. At the same time I put little dots on the side of the fingerboard as well.. A quick calculation tells me I have around 1,000 hours on this baby. Y'all who are wearing them out must have a gorilla grip.

I got the Tenor with the Fishman pickup with pre-amp (but no onboard control panel). After a few years I put Worth strings with the low G. I love it. It is available to pickup and strum a song or two at any time with no delay. It stays in tune for weeks at a time. As others have said, you cannot overstate the coolness of the flat bottom. If I had to get out a case, unzip it, find a place to put the case, and then tune it up before playing a song, I bet I'd play it half as often. Seriously, that flat bottom will make you a better player since you will play more often!

The pickup works fine as long as you turn the bass down to mute the string thumping noise. It rocks when you overdrive the amp and go all heavy metal. Personally if I was buying another one I think I'd still spend the extra money on the pickup instead of the fancy fretboard.

Iffin you wanna hear how one sounds...

http://youtube.com/ukemike1

DanaC
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
First off, I want to say that I LOVE my Fluke. It's one of my favorite things, easily. It's a discontinued Island Pattern one, with the purple flowers... I love it so muchhh! I just put some Aquilas on it today, they're still breaking in, obviously, but I'm excited because the tone is a lot happier than with the Hilo strings, haha.

Second off, it's question time...

Does anyone know of an alternative hardcase? I mean, I don't mind the one on FMM... I just don't want to spend 80 dollars on it. You know? I've been shopping around, but I figured someone here could tell me!