Help!!! Tuning wrong for 3 whole years?!?!

tayjoby

Reaction score
I'm not really a beginner, I've been playing my soprano uke for almost 3 years, and I taught myself out of a book. Today I went and got myself a super nice baritone. As I got home and was about to check the tuning, I realized that every site on Google says to tune G-C-E-A, but the book that I've been using for the past three years says A-D-F#-B. So not only have I been tuning wrong, but does this mean that now every chord I know is wrong? So now I'm just really confused and frustrated. Please help me! D:

I'm not really a beginner, I've been playing my soprano uke for almost 3 years, and I taught myself out of a book. Today I went and got myself a super nice baritone. As I got home and was about to check the tuning, I realized that every site on Google says to tune G-C-E-A, but the book that I've been using for the past three years says A-D-F#-B. So not only have I been tuning wrong, but does this mean that now every chord I know is wrong? So now I'm just really confused and frustrated. Please help me! D:

The classic tuning is in fact GCEA, but you have been taught to play 2 step higher. No problem! Same chord shapes, just will be 2 step down. They may have taught you with the "right" names for the chords with the standard tuning. When you fret the uke on the A string (or for you what was the B string) on the 3rd fret, did you learn that be a C or a Bb. If you learned it as a C, then they taught you the "right" name for the chord. Chord shaped the same, just tuned properly it will sound 2 steps up.

Now the Bariton is DGBE. Basically 5 steps down from the GCEA tuning. Same chords, but will have a differnt name. C on soprano becomes a G on Baritone, what not.

I hope this is not too terrible confusting. Just know the worst that will happen is you will have to learn the new "names" for the chords. Same chord shapes. Heck, when I play songs I learned on uke on the guitar, I just use the same "shapes" as I did on the ukulele and just add the bass notes. I just have to sing lower.

I wish I could show you. It is easier to "show' the difference.

Someone else may answer this better than me. I am a better "show you" person than "explainer"

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes sense. It's going to be annoying relearning all of this though. But worth it. I can't even believe that there's a book out there that is teaching people wrong! I should write them or something. Thanks for the help! :]

Yeah, that makes sense. It's going to be annoying relearning all of this though. But worth it. I can't even believe that there's a book out there that is teaching people wrong! I should write them or something. Thanks for the help! :]

It's not actually "wrong". In many places they play in D6 tuning (A-D-F#-B) instead of C6 (GCEA). I've read that in Canada and parts of Europe they usually tune to D6. If you look at James Hill's books he offers them in both tunings (he's Canadian). And if you don't know who James Hill is here's his website http://jameshillmusic.com/faq. Also, if he comes to your area - go see him play!

Top Bottom