Sustainable Indigenous Wood Ukulele

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
In my search to improve product and be as eco friendly as possible I have a project on the go which is looking at 5 potential specie for ukulele made from wood found in the British Isles. The only bit of this little darling not from Europe is the fingerboard - I have yet to be able to find a source of Laburnam, the only timber dark enough and resilient enough for fingerboards.

Body is English Yew, the neck is Welsh Alder and the headplate Burr English Elm. Currently it weighs in at 295g or 10 oz - this is a little too heavy for me but it will be OK because the body is like one huge soundboard! Yew, though it struts like a hardwood is, in fact, a softwood.

Yewkulele-1.jpg

Yew is from an evergreen but to my knowledge, it's a damm hard wood. unlike, Pine, also from an evergreen.

Have you thought about using recycled woods from palletes and such?

The wood would not be indigenous. I have used yew for over 35 years - like any timber, you just need to know how it likes to be worked!

Nice grain pattern showing on the body front. Very unique. Keep up the great work!

The asymmetrical soundboard grain makes it look 'alive', in stores all you see is perfectly matched grain. Apparently that is the aesthetical standard, but this wavy pattern gives it something extra. Do you have to look out for grain direction in relation to influence on sound/vibration?
That English Elm really glows, but I like the yellowish body color a bit better. Nice work!

The body is in fact and orangy red. Taxus bacatta is an incredible wood. I have built two concerts from it and if you love to play inm minor keys, this is the wood for you - it has such a 'dark' sound. When I have the whole team together I will do a photoshoot for you.

Deach

It is for George Hinchliffe - director of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - a Grand Fromage in this neck of the woods. His orchestra has quite a few of my instruments.

You wait 'til you see the others! Cherry, Plane (sycamore to you), Walnut...

It is for George Hinchliffe - director of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain -
Well, isn't that terrific. The next time he goes "Heath-cliff!!!" again, I'm thinking "How-lett!!!".

I always wondered what instruments they played, and now we know.

Top Bottom