Back from Oahu and the Koaloha factory tour.

GKK

Reaction score
My wife and I just returned from our anniversary vacation in Oahu and we had a Great time!

We took the #42 Bus from Waikiki which dropped us off about 250 yards from the Koaloha factory since we didn't rent a car and even though we walked the wrong direction, Mrs. Okami guided us back to their shop.

There were only five people working at the time and it was amazing how so, few people could produce so, many quality Ukulele's!

One really interesting fact too, me was when the wood is placed in the drying room, All the water released from the wood is collected in 5 gallon buckets and is heated (with the coleman stove) and used to help bend and shape the sides of the ukulele body. Nothing from the Koa wood is wasted!

Another interesting fact: Curly Koa grain is only found towards the bottom of the trunk where the weight compresses the grain and makes the "curly" grain pattern, which is another reason for the high cost of this beautiful pattern.

Our tour guide was Dominic and he was very funny, sincere, humble and down to earth. Dominic even refused a $20 tip we tried to give him. We also, had the pleasure of meeting Papa (Koaloha) Okami himself! He was busy at the time but, he still came by shook our hands, introduced himself and thanked us for taking the tour.

Mr. Okami made a Fret cutting machine which was really cool and Dominic even gave us a couple acrylic toothpaste tube squeezers which Mr. Okami invented and patented then sold to a company.

Anyways, here are the pictures.
IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Paul Okami, teaching another worker how to select and cut the boards.
IMG_0731.jpg

Curly Koa wood blanks (sorry for the blurry picture).
IMG_0733.jpg

Last edited:
Uni brace.
IMG_0746.jpg

Date Stamp.
IMG_0739.jpg

Musubi rice ball Sound hole.
IMG_0744.jpg

Lazer cut head stock Logo.
IMG_0753.jpg

Last edited:
Wal-Mart Coleman stove, (Dominic said, "every shop needs one, right?") used to heat the recycled water to bend the body sides.
IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

Fret & Nut cutting machine invented by Mr. Okami.
IMG_0760.jpg

Old way of cutting the frets.
IMG_0759.jpg

Last edited:
Ready for the first of 9 finish coats.
IMG_0756.jpg

Dustin, sanding in between each coat of clear before the Final coat.
IMG_0749.jpg

Lazer cut Bridge.
IMG_0755.jpg

Last edited:
Custom Koaloha's with our very cool tour guide, "Dominic"!
IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Custom Head stock Logo.
IMG_0768.jpg

Last edited:
And my Favorite!... The Japan Earthquake disaster Koaloha with 100% of the costs ($1500) going directly to the Japan relief effort.
IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics...Are those Relief Ukes tenor or soprano? Are they still for sale?

Here's the Tube Press squeezer Mr. Okami invented and patented then sold to All Seals, Inc.
IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha Garret,

Welcome back! Sounds like you made the most of your tour. Dom was our guide too. Super nice guy... like they all were.

So, did you bring any of those tasty treats hanging on the wall home?

It's interesting to see in person how Papa Koaloha's previous career in plastics and engineering influences their ukulele business today. Especially when you look at the jigs and custom machinery like the fret cutter. Thanks for the pics.

Aloha Garret,

Welcome back! Sounds like you made the most of your tour. Dom was our guide too. Super nice guy... like they all were.

So, did you bring any of those tasty treats hanging on the wall home?

Thanks, Bill

No, unfortunately I didn't bring home any of the wall Uke's but, if I did, it would've been one of the Japan relief ukulele's which I thought were Beautiful!!!...

Last edited:
Awesome pices...mahalo for posting them!!
Glad you had a great trip and Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

thanks for posting these pics. did you get any video?

koaloha needs to sell t-shirts!

i can't wait to go on a factory tour someday!

thanks for posting these pics. did you get any video?

koaloha needs to sell t-shirts!

i can't wait to go on a factory tour someday!

Sorry, no video.

I was hoping they could play a song but, they were kind of busy that day. Yes, T-shirts would be a Great souvenir to have!...

Thanks for the detailed tour report! I'd like to do that one as well as Kamaka when I'm there next year. How long of a bus ride was it approximately?

Great pictures and a great post, it's not something I'm likely to ever do, so nice to live vicariously through others going! Love the look of those Japan Ukuleles, very pretty :D

And Happy Anniversary! Glad you had a nice trip :D

Top Bottom