PDA

View Full Version : OMG!!! I ordered a KAMAKA HF3 and got shipped a KALA KA-SMHT instead!!!

dredey
09-24-2011, 08:45 AM
:mad:I have been waiting patiently for a week for my new Kamaka HF-3. Well a package arrived yesterday. I was so excited. Opened it up. Yikes!!! It was a Kala!!! The place i ordered from is not open yet but damn. I can't believe that they can screw something up that bad. i paid a lot of money for an HF-3. I/m so upset that when they open I may cancel my order all together. I can't believe this. Unbelievable!! :mad:

v30
09-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Oh man, opening that box would be a buzz kill. I'm sure it'll get straightend out. Mistakes happen.

GKK
09-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Mistakes happen but, make sure the company will pay for the return shipping. If not, I would just cancel the order.

808boy
09-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Aloha dredey,
Boy talking about bursting your bubble. I can only imagine the let down then anger. I'm sure they'll take care of the mishap......................BO.................... ..

PhilUSAFRet
09-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Hmmmm, I wonder if there's a guy out there that ordered a Kala and got a...........you guessed it. Interesting to see how all this turns out.

Uke Whisperer
09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Wish I had orderred the KALA!!!
(just kidding......, well....., yep, just kidding)

Dredey, I can't even imagine the pain and agony you're going through right now. Take some deep breaths! It will turn-out okay!

(A pint of Scotch wouldn't hurt either!!!)

uke4life
09-24-2011, 09:51 AM
OH MY!! Let us know what happens....Hope they are gracious in dealing with the mistake...

dredey
09-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I just briefly spoke with them and they said the same thing as me. OMG!!! Then they said it's not good for you and it's not good for us either because that means someone else got the Kamaka HF-3. Then he quickly said let me figure this out and I'll call you back. It was the only Kamaka HF-3 they had left in stock too!!! UGH...:eek:

v30
09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
The guy who opened the other is probably just as pissed :D What are the chances he reported the mistake.....?

sonicbaker
09-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Woah. That's gotta be the most unwelcome Kala to ever arrive at someone's doorstep. Hope the place manages this foul up in a timely anxiety-reducing way for you.

dredey
09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Spoke with the owner who is really sympathetic. They have no idea where the Kamaka HF3 was shipped. They are looking into to it as we speak.

kissing
09-24-2011, 01:12 PM
How is the Kala anyway? Them solid mahogany Kalas are terrific :)

(but in all seriousness, I really hope you get your Kamaka soon!!!)

Trinimon
09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Oh man, my heart would have fallen out and hit the floor if that was me. Glad to hear it was an honest mistake on their part and looking into fixing the problem.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow. That's a bummer.

I hope you, the dealer, and the hopefully-not-too-overly-satisfied person who's receiving a "Kala" (with what must be a slight misspelling on the headstock) get this worked out as quickly as possible. Good luck!

SuzukHammer
09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Doesn't know where the Kamaka shipped?? Look at the biggest box with likely the most weight.

I originally laughed at this post cause surely they can figure it out right away; but, them saying they don't know where it shipped means some lucky SOB is going to have a moral dilemma in the form of a nice sounding uke on their conscience.

Oh, the humanity!!!

I hope it all gets straightened out.

itsme
09-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Spoke with the owner who is really sympathetic. They have no idea where the Kamaka HF3 was shipped. They are looking into to it as we speak.
Did someone else order that exact Kala model that got shipped in the same timeframe?

I would like to think ukers are maybe a cut above some others when it comes to honesty, but if you ordered a Kala and received a Kamaka and didn't know the difference in value, you might think they just substituted another "slightly better" uke if they were out of stock on the one you'd ordered?

On the other hand, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, has anyone ever tried to scam a dealer by claiming what they ordered wasn't what they received? Send back an exact same model Kala they bought at Guitar Center or wherever and get a refund on what they paid for a Kamaka?

Just musing here. Hopefully they make it right and soon. I would have been beyond disappointed to have that happen to me. After waiting for delivery, and then, blammo! I'm not knocking Kalas at all, but they're not Kamakas, and if you paid for the latter and got the former, you have every right to be upset.

dredey
09-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok. The shop has been really great I must say. They are sending a new one out right away. And have issued a return label to send back the Kala. They knew exactly what Kala I had when I told them the model number. It seems they had a Kala that went missing and had to resend another Kala to the customer. They still have no tracking for the other Kamaka though. Although the Kala is nice I am happy with the outcome. The new order has been discounted for the mistake. And they threw in some extra misc stuff like strings etc...Now I have to wait another few days. Crossing my fingers.

foxfair
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Hope that the seller sorts your problem out really soon... and you can get your truely HF-3 back.

hibiscus
09-24-2011, 04:42 PM
All's well that ends well, and mistakes happen. (Even though it's the pits when it happens to you!)

arpie
09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
That would have been a huge shock to you!

So glad there was a happy ending to the story & that the store did the right thing by you! Maybe someone had put the Kala in a Kamaka box & Kamaka in a Kala box & they it WAS actually 'still in stock' somewhere. If it was indeed the ''only one in stock'' & they sent the replacement one out to you immediately, maybe they found it already!?

You will be on tenterhooks over the next couple of days tho until you receive it!

A good tale to tell your grandkids one day!

Cheers

Roberta

Jimdrum
09-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I ordered my HF-3 directly from Kamaka by phone about a week after touring the factory, back in late February of this year. It arrived safely when promised at my front door about 60 days later.

You're going to love your Kamaka, though. Hope it all works out for you.

Paul December
09-24-2011, 07:05 PM
That is actually supposed to be a great sounding Kala.
Wouldn't it be funny if after receiving your Kamaka, you didn't think it was worth the extra $$$ over the Kala?! :D

mds725
09-24-2011, 09:29 PM
It would be truly strange if you ordered a Kamaka HF-3 from the Kamaka factory and got a Kala. I hope your new ukulele, when you get it, exceeds your expectations.

consitter
09-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Holy cow! If that had been me, I'd have blown a gasket and got kicked out of the house by my wife until I got the problem straightened out. I don't play well with others when I'm ticked. Glad to hear all's well that end's well though. I'd probably have ticked them off the point that they wouldn't have sold me the Kamaka!

kaizersoza
09-25-2011, 12:24 AM
they should let you keep the kala as well for the shock it caused you, hope your uke arrives safely soon

raecarter
09-25-2011, 01:31 AM
they should let you keep the kala as well for the shock it caused you, hope your uke arrives safely soon

Swansea shirt?

dredey
09-25-2011, 04:33 AM
The Kala is actually pretty nice. I am hoping the Kamaka HF3 is a lot nicer since it costs a lot more money.:)

ancient
09-25-2011, 04:40 AM
This is really disturbing. Recently, I ordered an 'ukulele case from a music retailer and instead, got a bongo stand. Of course, not as valuable as an 'ukulele, but still a bad mistake. There is so much carelessness with some of the music stores that do online sales. I hope you get your Kamaka soon.

Mim
09-25-2011, 05:03 AM
I just briefly spoke with them and they said the same thing as me. OMG!!! Then they said it's not good for you and it's not good for us either because that means someone else got the Kamaka HF-3. Then he quickly said let me figure this out and I'll call you back. It was the only Kamaka HF-3 they had left in stock too!!! UGH...:eek:

Ok. The shop has been really great I must say. They are sending a new one out right away. And have issued a return label to send back the Kala. They knew exactly what Kala I had when I told them the model number. It seems they had a Kala that went missing and had to resend another Kala to the customer. They still have no tracking for the other Kamaka though. Although the Kala is nice I am happy with the outcome. The new order has been discounted for the mistake. And they threw in some extra misc stuff like strings etc...Now I have to wait another few days. Crossing my fingers.

I read this and had my heart drop for the dealer!!! Hahaha! Because your whole situation is my. worst. nightmare!

I was sending out a Kanile'a and a Kala on the same day just yesterday! I checked, re-checked, checked again, and yet again checked again before sending it out! I even had to stop myself from opening the box once packaged, just to make sure one more time! Espeically since one was going to France and another to California. If I messed up I would #1 Be Mortified and #2 I would make it right... just like your dealer did, but a mistake like that ain't cheap! I know they will lost money, but looks like they value you, their stock, and their reputation! So hooray for them!

But yes, talk about Buzz Kill! Haha!

I have to say, your dealer did you right and is good people the way they are handling it! My endorsee ordered a case from someone else on Amazon that did not fit Tenor ukes... period. And it was supposed to be a tenor case. It was wrong all the way around! It fit NONE of my tenor ukes. The dealer made him pay shipping back to him. In all he list like $35 total. Shipping to and from. That made me mad for him!

So, I hope very soon we shall see a thread started by you of you showing off your NEW Kamaka! Just your New and Very Well-Traveled Kamaka!

Mim
09-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Being from the other side, something like this would kill a retailer. Sounds really good and all, but it has got to be win win! I think they are handling it just right! I bet they have lost sleep and had shock issues as well. Hahaha! I know I would!

joekulele
09-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Please let us know what happens right away. Until then, fingers crossed for you!
- Joe

dredey
09-25-2011, 05:52 AM

Although the Kala is a nice uke It's not what I wanted. Actually they did make me an offer on it (a good offer) but in all fairness it should go back to store's inventory. I was tempted to keep it because it's a nice one but I did the right thing. At this point the Kamaka HF3 will be good enough for me. If it ever get's to me.:) Right now I am not in the market for more ukulele's.

ksiegel
09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
At this point the Kamaka HF3 will be good enough for me. If it ever get's to me.:) Right now I am not in the market for more ukulele's.

I think that's a great attitude - I just about snorted the ginger snap I was eating when I read it! ("Yeah, well, I guess a Kamaka will be good enough...[sigh!]")

As for not being in the market for more ukuleles....

You will be. Trust me.

-Kurt

dredey
09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Hooray! Got my Kamaka Tenor.

Update: Changed the strings to Alohi's and it's perfect. I think the newness of the stock Kamaka strings may have contributed. I don't like them.:) All is good. The Alohi's actually feel and sound wonderful. Happy camper.

Penguinofsorts
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Don't you love when mistakes start snowballing? That's a bummer...but I'm glad you finally got the thing!

arpie
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Just contact them immediately & let them know that you are disappointed with the action/setup - it should be remedied at no cost to you. I am sure they will once again do the right thing by you. I hope you bought it from the Mainland, cos if it were from Hawaii, there may be a lot of 'to-ing' and 'fro'ing'! :eek:

Good luck - hope it works out to your satisfaction!

Roberta

arpie
09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Woohoo!! Good result!! Fingers crossed for the next one!! Sounds like they tried 'too hard' to get the initial replacement to you ........ you could write a book on this one!

Post a Youtube playing it when it arrives!!

Roberta

Mandarb
09-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Hooray! Got my Kamaka Tenor just now.... But!!!.....After admiring the beauty of it and after tuning it up I seem to think the action is too high. There is a buzzing sound when strumming a quick C chord to an A minor chord. And the bottom E string is higher up from the neck than the other strings. You can feel how high it is when strumming and picking. The company I purchased it from was wonderful and shipped that day asap to make up for their mistake but normally they go over every ukulele and do a full set up before shipping. They didn't set this one up. The buzzing. I don't like it. I have stock Kamaka strings with Ko'olau Golds and Ko'olau Alohi's as backups.

Very strange - my Kamaka came setup from the factory perfectly. But glad to hear you are getting everything resolved.

dredey
09-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Update: I changed the strings to Alohi's and it's perfect. I think the newness of the stock Kamaka strings may have contributed. I don't like them. All is good. The Alohi's actually feel and sound wonderful. What a difference. Worth clears are on order too. Happy camper. Everthing is perfect. Pics to follow. Thank goodness.:)

v30
09-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Awesome....glad you got it all sorted out.

Trinimon
09-28-2011, 05:53 AM
So what ya gonna do when the other Kamaka arrives on Thursday? lol
Buy 'em both, tune one to high g and the other to low g? :D

dredey
09-28-2011, 06:26 AM
So what ya gonna do when the other Kamaka arrives on Thursday? lol
Buy 'em both, tune one to high g and the other to low g? :D

That would be nice:) The Thursday delivery will be declined. No problems.

mds725
09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Have you considered accepting the Thursday delivery and sending back the one you like less? (Just trying to make trouble. :) If you love the one you have then that's the one meant for you.)

dredey
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Have you considered accepting the Thursday delivery and sending back the one you like less? (Just trying to make trouble. :) If you love the one you have then that's the one meant for you.)

mds725
Stop starting trouble:)

v30
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Keep the second Kamaka and send them back a makala dolphin.....see how they like it :D

Trinimon
09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Keep the second Kamaka and send them back a makala dolphin.....see how they like it :D

OMG, I got my afternoon tea dribbling out of my nose after I read that! lol