Calton cases

Aldrine Guerrero

Ukulele Underground Staff
Reaction score
In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D
I did a search for them here on our forum and the last thread about them was closed. I have the same issue with them avoiding me. I placed an order for a tenor ukulele case and in the beginning, they were pretty responsive but after I placed my order, they haven't been answering any of my calls/emails/messages. It's extremely important because I needed to change my shipping address. I put in my PO box address instead of my home. They ship via UPS and should've been my home address instead.

I'm a little disappointed because they told me that it'd be 5-7 weeks turnaround for the case. It's been two months and the status of my order according to the website says that my order is "awaiting fulfillment" which is outside of the timeframe of what I was told. If the case is taking longer to make, they could at least tell me or answer my messages. I call them every other day and I haven't gotten a single call back or email.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach this? Cause if I just wait it out, it won't get sent to me due to the wrong mailing address. How do I get a hold of them?

I had a hard time dealing with them for my guitars...I like Pegasus Cases actually better...Sam responds quickly and the turnaround was faster than Calton and they are across the pond too...

Well, that sucks. :(

But since you have to create an account there to order, can you not edit your account details to change the shipping address you originally entered?

I'm presuming that when they're ready to ship they'll just look up the address you have "on file" with them.

I don't have any first hand experience with them, but I have been reading similar issues with non-responsiveness after the sale and very late delivery on other forums. This is a recent thread from the unofficial Martin guitar forum regarding Calton. Probably doesn't answer your question, but you're definitely not alone, it seems.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/124126#.Tn5dIHOkYXk

There has been a lot of discussion about the issues with Calton cases on a few guitar forums as well. There is a pretty lengthy thread on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. You might want to go there and do a search. It's not likely to make you feel much better, but I seem to recall some steps a few of the folks took to shake things up a bit and get their cases coming... might be worth a try.
Hard to believe they can do the things they're doing and not just go under altogether. The threads I've read also list some very good alternatives to Calton.

Good Luck!

Dean

Calton cases are great, but since the company's sale a few years ago they have gone so far down the tubes in the customer service department that it's actually scary. It's amazing to me that they are still in business.

My heart goes out to the OP. Keep trying. Call every day and be polite, but firm and persistent. Be prepared to take this up with your credit card company and the Canadian equivalent of the Consumer Protection Agency. Don't wait forever, as others' past experiences will tell you that Calton has made a habit of putting people off by making empty promises, stringing them along for months. I don't get it.

I've dealt with a few companies that went AWOL as soon as I paid for an item. In my two cases, the companies were actually scammers, which doesn't seem to be Carlton's case. However, I've found that nothing gets a company's attention more quickly than a threat to report them to the Better Business Bureau. It may seem like a drastic measure, but it works. There's no excuse for such poor customer service.

nothing gets a company's attention more quickly than a threat to report them to the Better Business Bureau. It may seem like a drastic measure, but it works.

Well, someone (many someones) have already done that

http://www.bbb.org/maritime-provinc...orth-america-in-moncton-nb-26215#reasonrating

I own three Calton (guitar) cases, and I love them but the customer service took a drastic nose dive in last two years (new owner since 2009).

Cheers
Chief

PS: NatalieS - How is your turtle?

Man... I was so excited too when I finally raised the funds to order one.
I'm gonna try calling as much as I can till I finally get a hold of Jim at Calton cases.
If by the end of the month, I don't receive any message saying they're about to send it; I'll have to call my CC company and try and cancel the order.

Apparently, the reliable Calton is in the UK and won't accept orders from the US due to Calton North America. The only way I can get one of these is if I have someone order for me from UK and have them ship it to me. Would probably cost almost double... -_-

Apparently, the reliable Calton is in the UK and won't accept orders from the US due to Calton North America. The only way I can get one of these is if I have someone order for me from UK and have them ship it to me. Would probably cost almost double... -_-

Orrrr you could do a UU tour over there and pick it up on the way. :) ha

So is Calton North America actually Calton Calton? It's actually a branch of their company? Seems like they are the Meg (family guy reference) of Calton and don't want anyone to know about that slow branch.

Well, someone (many someones) have already done that

http://www.bbb.org/maritime-provinc...orth-america-in-moncton-nb-26215#reasonrating

I own three Calton (guitar) cases, and I love them but the customer service took a drastic nose dive in last two years (new owner since 2009).

Cheers
Chief

PS: NatalieS - How is your turtle?

Whoa, that's not good. Only 4 of 29 complaints were resolved by the company-- 25 were never responded to by the company, including several from this month. Yeah, it might be time to call that credit card company, Aldrine. :( That really sucks.

And Chief, my turtle's doing GREAT! Thanks for asking.

I have had many Caltons over the years (loved them, great cases) and had a couple bad experiences (double the expected time and quality issues) when their CS started going down hill. However, I switched to Pegasus cases and think they still have a good reputation, but I've been out of the loop for quite sometime now...

http://www.pegasus-cases.com/

Those Pegasus cases look dandy! Ameritage of course would be another bulletproof choice, though very different in style and not as light weight for travel...

The thing I really like about the Caltons is the teardrop shape for the uke cases. The other companies (pegasus, hoffee, karura, etc.) don't offer that style. It's just unfortunate that the CS is terrible at Calton.
I have had many Caltons over the years (loved them, great cases) and had a couple bad experiences (double the expected time and quality issues) when their CS started going down hill. However, I switched to Pegasus cases and think they still have a good reputation, but I've been out of the loop for quite sometime now...

http://www.pegasus-cases.com/

I have an Ameritage. Weighs 10 lbs, but it's built like a tank, and their customer service is 2nd to none. When you buy your case, if you want D rings for a shoulder strap put on, you pay for the D rings, they put them on for free. You can find a much cheaper strap to use that they sell, but if your D rings come off after they put them on, they will send you new ones. Their warranty is only a year, but they will work with you long after that.

I just ordered a case cover, which does not come with back pack type straps. However, I requested them to put a set on, and they are--at no extra charge, for the straps or labor! It's and expensive item, but well worth it.

The thing I really like about the Caltons is the teardrop shape for the uke cases. The other companies (pegasus, hoffee, karura, etc.) don't offer that style. It's just unfortunate that the CS is terrible at Calton.
Price Cases have the teardrop shape too and are in the U.S.:

http://www.fiberglasscase.com/mandcase.htm

and what they call 'streamline':

http://www.fiberglasscase.com/MandoStream.htm

I think Calton uses their Mandolin shell too for a Tenor? I have no idea if Price would be willing to make a Ukulele interior though. But they (he?) talk about special orders here:

http://www.fiberglasscase.com/prices.htm

Last edited:
Don't delay calling the credit card company - some have time limits on how far back they'll go in reversing charges.

That's the real "treat" for scammers (not saying Calton cases has become a scammer, but if it smells like a duck, and quacks like a duck...) is they'll try to string you along until most credit card companies won't reverse the charges, then start "forgetting" to return emails and calls.

John

Top Bottom