PDA

View Full Version : Resaw misting

Kekani
09-24-2011, 06:40 PM
When I made the deal on my saw years back, it came with a Micronizer Jr., which I've dropped a couple of times (don't ask how), thereby cracking the plastic "dome" at the top. Well, seems I have the older model, and Lenox doesn't have any more parts for them; said I have to buy a completely new model. . . yeah, only $300 give or take.

This led me to search for misting systems, which automatically directs me to CNC sites - Noga and Koolmist are two that show up, in addition to some custom applications. I'm thinking since they're designed for metal work, there will be TOO MUCH lube for wood.

I just switched out my 3" blade for a 3/4" Woodslicer; not sure why it took me so long. Since I broke the Micronizer, I haven't really had issues with the new blade (and no lube) and burning. The 3" without lube would burn more often than not. I'm thinking of not spending any $$$ and just running without.

Anyone using (or not using) a misting system on their resaw? Which one?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Rick Turner
09-24-2011, 07:10 PM
A "Little Mister" from ... oh ... Rutland I think. Also, PAM...the no stick kitchen spray...works well.

The real deal would be a Vortex Cold Gun. The issue is micro-cracking of the very tips of the teeth due to heat, not abrasion. The misting coolers are about this...evaporative cooling...but the cold gun can theoretically chill the saw tooth tips to well below 32 F. just before they enter the billet. There are also Teflon additives for coolant that Todd at Allied Lutherie has used with his Baker resaw. The biggest problem is that the area around the resaw gets very slippery to walk upon!

Timbuck
09-24-2011, 09:33 PM
I wondered if liquid coolant could be used in cutting wood..Then I thought it would just contaminate or cause the grain to swell..so I dismissed the idea..but now you tell me it is used:eek: , I sometimes use candle wax rubbed onto the blade sides tho' :)

Rick Turner
09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I prefer to resaw fairly freshly cut billets...yeah, wet ones. There's less tension in the wood, and if you get it under control quickly, sticker it under pressure and all that, the wood dries to usable and stable much quicker. There are additives that are biodegradable that you can use with water, but the main thing to understand is that what you're trying to do is lower the temperature at the point of tooth contact with wood. It's not about lubrication as much as it is about keeping the very tip of the teeth cooler so the metal doesn't expand which creates a lot of stress in the metal leading to micro-cracks that result in the loss of minute but significant bits of steel, stellite, carbide, or whatever. The direct effect of the mist on the wood is absolutely irrelevant. Not an issue.

I learned to completely rethink my whole understanding of cutting edges going dull around this issue when I committed over $15,000.00 to purchasing a real resaw (Baler AX) and learned how to use it in a way that the makers never quite intended. I modified the guides so I could run Timberwolf ASS 3/4" blades that only take out about .046" worth of kerf sawdust, making this an incredibly "green" resaw setup. I get probably 15% or more greater yield than with conventional resaws, and with some of what I've seen of Indian rosewood guitar backs and sides, I know that I could increase yields in India by a good 50% to 75% if I set up operations there.

The machine paid for itself...literally...as I paid for it over three years worth of lease-purchase. It was one of the best tool investments I ever made. I was then able to advise Allied Lutherie, LMI, and the Roberto Venn School of Lutherie about getting their own nearly identical setups to mine.

BTW, I now use the Timberwolf variable pitch blades...same 3/4" band at a .025 thickness with .010" set each way. I've used carbide blades with good results, but if you hit one old nail, you just lost about $250.00 worth of blade rather than $30.00. Real sawyers have to think about these things!

Kekani
09-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks Rick.

Guess Rutland is now MSC, and Trico makes the Lil Mister - 1/2 price of the Micronizer Jr. Enco seems the best price, with limited searching.

In searching, I saw some of the cold air systems, cheaper ones just use air.