Do you have a uke case that smells very lemony (over powering)?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I had one of those fake brown leather cases with a palm tree embossed on it a couple years ago. When you opened it smelled like someone had spilled a whole bottle of lemon oil in it. A little lemon smell is not bad, a lot is overpowering. I had that case for months and the smell never left it. That case is long gone, but I got another new-to-me uke that came with a fake brown leather case with a palm tree embossed on it, and I’ll be darned it doesn’t smell like someone had spilled a whole bottle of lemon oil in it. I left it open and it stunk up my whole office.

I figure 1 case like that is just bad luck, but 2 like that and this must be a 'feature' of fake brown leather cases with a palm tree embossed on it. (They were 2 different sizes so I am sure the original did not resurface.)

Do you have a case like this?

How did you get rid of the smell?

The case that came with my Sprucehouse has a chemical smell. I really hate it. It makes the Sprucehouse stink like that too. I don't know what to tell you. I have left it open for about three weeks. I saturated it with baking soda and waited three days before I vacuumed it out. I sprayed it with room deodorizer. When open now I barely smell it but if I put the uke in it and close it up it still smells and the uke smells. I am considering getting rid of the case. I would love any other suggestions. I would take the lemon smell any day over this chemical smell. My guess mine is the glue. The case is over a year old so I just don't know what else to do. I did have a case like yours that was used and it never smelled so there may be hope for your case.

A few months ago I received a new case that had a strong odor. I live in a very dry climate, so I left it open in the sun for a couple of days (it was near 100 on those days) and then stored it open for a couple of weeks. That took care of it.

I guess I've been lucky; I've never had that issue. My current gigbag that I'm using is a Levy's brand (I'm an endorsing artist for their cases and straps, so grabbed a uke case in addition to my bass ones) and it's great. Aside from the standard new leather smell, no problems at all. Even when I gave it a liberal coating of waterproofer, nothing major at all. Sorry about your luck.

My tweed cases, and a hard banjo uke case, came with a strong glue smell, that has been hard to get rid of. On one case, I aired it out, tried baking soda etc. The thing that worked the best was putting my Pineapple Concert Uke with Hinoki wood bracing in it. Now the case smells wonderful, like he Hinoki wood.

–Lori

I tried these baking soda contraptions on a case that smelled sort of chemically, and it seems to have reduced the smell.

attachment.php

I'd also consider cedar chips, because I think they might leave the case with a nice cedar smell.

So I have two of those cases (they fit longneck sopranos pretty well) & neither of them smell of lemons?!

I have 3 Oscar schmidt cases and they are great cases however the last one smelled kinda like fresh corn husks. If you've ever used a corn picker on a farm you know the smell. Odd but I finally left it open in my room for a coulple of weeks and the oder was gone. Was afraid to to put the uke in it till i got the smell out ,thought it might turn to silage lol.

I have a Kamaka hard case that smells. I'm convinced they use some kind of fish based glue. I left it open and outside for a few days and the smell went away until I put a humidifier in the case. Now it's open and airing out in the garage and I bought a Reunion Blues "Continental" gig bag instead.

I have a padded plastic gigbag that a second hand tenor came in. I keep swearing I'm going to throw it out and get another case for the uke - but I haven't done so because I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep the uke.

Anyay, this is black plastic and the outside doesn't smell but when the uke is closed up in it for a while it stinks so bad when you pull it out that I have to let it sit for an hour or so before playing it or the smell coming off the uke literally makes me nautious (and I don't have a queasy stomach when it comes to chemicals, usually).

John

You know I've never really smelled any of my cases but I will now. I always like to smell the ukuleles when they arrive that lovely wood smell is part of the pleasure, (be warned though Ive got a Veelah Vamboo Bamboo ukulele and that smells awful, plays and sounds great though)

Just sniffed the Soprano case and that doesn't smell of anything much?

So Doc, I had this same problem with some black no-name cases and we had a list discussion about it hmmm 1-2 months ago
www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?49562-icky-case-smell&highlight=garyg
I've pretty much tried everything to get rid of the smell, I bought those baking soda deodorizer things and kept them in the empty and sealed case for weeks, then I opened the cases, that was after I left the cases open in my poorly ventilated garage for several weeks to try and "bake out" the smell (you live around here you know how hot garages get in summer). And all to no avail. The smell decreases but as soon as I close the cases and put ukes in them for storage after a week or so the smell is back and worse it clings to the uke. I don't know who made these cases and the person who sold me the ukes was surely just trying to be helpful by throwing in a new hard case with a uke purchase. But I've finally decided that these puppys are tar babies and I think that I may just end up donating them to the SA or someone else. I do wonder what damage they could do to a uke even after all the burn-off treatment I've given them, but the odor remaining on the uke is totally putting me off. Sorry that I can't be more optimistic. Onwards and upwards, g2

You know I've never really smelled any of my cases but I will now. I always like to smell the ukuleles when they arrive that lovely wood smell is part of the pleasure, (be warned though Ive got a Veelah Vamboo Bamboo ukulele and that smells awful, plays and sounds great though)

Just sniffed the Soprano case and that doesn't smell of anything much?

If you had a stinky case you would know it. Extra sniffing is not required.

TMI Seeso and remind me not to sit in the front row next time (hehehe). g2

I had one that smelled like dirty feet. To fix it, I just made everything else in my house smell like dirty feet.

seeso, remind me not to come visit you anytime soon, Honey!
If this thread was a ploy to get people to go sniff their cases, it worked on me. I just got a new case from Ukecrazy, and it smells chemical-ly, like glue or something. It made the uke smell too. I'm airing both out.

I got a stinky guitar case once. Worst. Smell. Ever. I can't even describe it. I saturated the lining with Lysol deodorizing spray, and let it sit open for a few weeks to dry out. It still smells weird on really damp days, but it's bearable.

Good luck!

Top Bottom