New Forum Section - Ukulele Building

U

UUadmin

We've seen a recent influx of ukulele building threads. To deal with that, we've created a Luthier's Lounge section for all you talented uke builders to hang out and share your beautiful work.

We've seen a recent influx of ukulele building threads. To deal with that, we've created a Luthier's Lounge section for all you talented uke builders to hang out and share your beautiful work.

I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased about this!

ashame im not really in2 it.. but good 2 see what people progress

Aloha Everyone

I guess I'll be the first to show my progress.
Here are a few pics of the tenor Ukulele that I am building for class ( Hana Lima Ia ).
It is Bubinga back and sides, Western red cedar top and patches, Sapele mahogany neck and tentalones, Spruce bracing, Koa head cap, and Rose wood fretboard and bridge. Also there is a pic of an inlay I am thinking about putting on the backboard. It is made from two types of Koa, and Spruce.
Hope you like the pics, and I will post again once it is finished.

Aloha
Bob

This is the body and neck as seen from the back while in a holding jig.
DSC09272.jpg

Close up on inside of body.
DSC09273.jpg

Close up on back board before it is attached.
DSC09274.jpg

This is the inlay that I am thinking about.
DSC09256.jpg

acaboo,

is that ur name??
i hope i spelt it right..

but yeah that's sick dude..
with the fish and everything!! amazing i like it bro :D

Wow. That inlay is crazy. It makes me want one like that. Did you design it yourself, because it looks amazing!

SeanKy671

You were close, it is Acabooe.

Experimentjon

My wife designed the inlay, in that she drew it out on cardboard.
Then i cut it out and traced the pieces on to the various woods.
Next up was taking a jig saw and cutting out those pieces, and finally sanding them till they fit and gluing them together.
So to make a long story longer, it was a group effort between my wife and i.

Deach

Yes I probably could make one to go on the headstock or fretboard, but the smaller an inlay is, the more difficult it is to work with, so I will just have to see how it turns out before I start thinking about doing a smaller one. This was only my 2nd attempt at making an inlay. I am happy with it so far.

Hawaiian Serenader

My wife and I made the inlay, please see above.
I think you are right about the wood types.
The person that I got the woods from told me that they are koa, koa, and spruce, but I heard yesterday that they aren't, so good call.

And thanks to every one for your kind words of encouragement. It really makes me feel good to read what all of you have written.

Mahalo Nui Loa
Bob

Oh no, I don't know any where near what there is to know. If you were to talk to someone like Dominator, then they would be closer to knowing everything, but I am still starting out. I take the class so that I can learn more methods and theory of building.
There is more than one way to build an Ukulele, and if I only know one method, then I will be limited in what I can make. But if I learn more than one method, then I will have a variety of things that I can do, and I can pick and choose what method, and what style I like best.
I go to school so that I can become a better luthier. I am learning so much at class, that I am glad that I am going, and Mike Chock ( my teacher ) is very fun and easy to work with. I am not having a hard time at all.
Thanks for the interest.
Bob

Last edited:
Great builder!

Hey Bob,
Your uke looks good. You had replied to my "heel boo boo" on Hana Lima Ia's message board, thanks for the help with that. I have still to work on my ukulele but I am really impressed with your inlay on the back of the uke. How do you cut out for the inlay? Did you chisel it out? Do you use a heating blanket for the bending? I am in the process of making the one using light bulbs.
Your progress is giving me an incentive again. Mahalo. P.S. What a cutie baby!:)

I haven't actually put that Koi inlay on to my Ukulele. Because of the curvature of my back plate, I decided not to put it on this project. I will save it for another project.
When you want to put the inlay in, trace it onto the surface it will go in to, and then either chisel or dremel it out. Be careful not to go to deep. For more detailed info about inlay, pm me on here or hana Lima.
Yes I do use the heating blanket, and it works really well.
It can be used in a bending jig, or with various sized pipes, depending on your liking.
I haven't used the light bulb bender before, but am interested to hear how it goes. Please keep us updated.
Good luck in your build.
Aloha
Bob

Top Bottom