What is your dream uke(s)?

hungry4adobo

Reaction score
I was just wondering what is your dream uke(s)? Are you saving, dreaming, or already have it . Mine dream uke is a Kala Solid Acacia Concert. Yes, my dream may not be as extravagant as a custom uke but, it is still an all solid wood uke :D.

A Moore Bettah fosho. I'd have a 4 string tenor with a slotted headstock and cutaway. Possibly a side sound port. Body would be AAAAA grade koa with a mustache shaped bridge made of ebony. The neck would be spanish cedar, with an ebony fret board. There would be no fret markers other than on the side of the fret board and on the 12th fret which would have the number 22 there. I'd have ebony and turquoise binding with a turquoise rosette, and an ebony veneer on the headstock coupled with my name on it. It'd also be strung up with Worth Browns, and would have Japan on the sound board along with Whidbey island making a slight yin yang shape near the bottom left (looking at the ukulele straight on)

that's my dream ukulele. It would play like a beast, look fantastic, and represent me :]

My Old Kamaka

Lucky I guess , my wife brings me one a few months ago , knowing how much I missed where I lived on The Big Island . And of all ukuleles she get's me an very old 1950s soprano to top it off . When I think of when I will make the move back I sigh and smile at the same time .

This Kamaka soprano is almost as old as I am as far as the ukuleles concerned , the wood , well that's another thing .

I have this vision of myself at Kolekole

Kolekole_beach_park1.JPG

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/beaches/kolekole_beach_park.html

on the Big Island , under the bridge facing the water fall

Kolekole_beach_park11.JPG

and having the ocean to my right and the park there to my left with the salt spray drifting about the air and a surfer or two having a ball on the inside break there . Just sitting there maybe with my love and or with friends strumming to the rhythm of the surf breaking against the shoreline where the remnants of the old Hawaii Rail Road tracks that were wiped out by the 1948 tsunami from the Alaska .

The vision is sweet , the wait , bitter sweet just like the memories living there .

Aloooooooha all :

Hurricane Ramon

Ask me again in six months... But I think I just received my dream uke. A simple and elegant Kamaka soprano. A dream to play and a beautiful sound. I can't ask for more, accept maybe a mahogany of equal quality.

For a non-traditional style, I am absolutely floored by the workmanship I've seen in the Hive ukuleles. I'm a guitar guy and fairly new to ukuleles, so that is probably why they appeal to me so much. I would love to get my hands on one of them. Some of the Rick Turner ukes really give me UAS as well... go figure - Renaissance and Hive ukes...

For a more traditional style (albeit much more "embellished"), the Morre-Bettah ukes blow me away. I also like what I've seen from Black Bear. Probably wouldn't list them as my "dream" but more reaonably attainable and a gigantic step up from my Lanikai.

Dean

up until recently my dream uke was a Mainland red cedar tenor which i saved my birthday money for, when I bought it, it became a reality, it is so beautiful to look at and to play, and if I never bought another uke, I would still be a happy bunny, I nearly bought a Kala solid acacia coz they are lovely instuments too but settled on the mainland, but being 'only human' i am starting to fancy the saddle off a new Kamaka tenor after hearing the reviews online about the sound they produce and also the quality of the intonation, so who knows maybe, just maybe, one day, I might own one..........................

I am also a guitarist who is trying to learn uke. As I type this I am trying to total how much I could make by selling all my stuff. Enough to buy a Koaloha D-VI (6 string) would make me very happy but the cost to get one in Europe is really astronomical. One day...one day...:iwant:

Since it's my "dream" uke, definitely something I've made myself every step of the way, from sourcing the local wood, to inlays made from the abalone shells already in my backyard (abalone was delicious by the way). If it sounds good . . . wait, "dream uke" so it definitely sounds AMAZING . . . I'd have my initials inlayed in the fretboard.

I'm saving for a Compass Rose, all maple and top-of-the-line; also a Collings koa UT3.

Without getting too ostentatious, I think I would be quite happy with a Kanilea K3 6 string concert with UV finish and upgrade to highest grade of Koa

For years I would respond to the "dream uke" question with my list of specs:

Super soprano
Wide fingerboard
Myrtlewood back and sides
Port Orford cedar top
Walnut binding, face plate, end graft
Ebony bridge and fingerboard...

This August Bradford delivered it to my home...and it is absolutely my dream come true!

Body.jpg

back.jpg

Head.jpg

carrot.jpg

For a non-traditional style, I am absolutely floored by the workmanship I've seen in the Hive ukuleles. I'm a guitar guy and fairly new to ukuleles, so that is probably why they appeal to me so much. I would love to get my hands on one of them. Some of the Rick Turner ukes really give me UAS as well... go figure - Renaissance and Hive ukes...
Dean

Thanks for the kind words Caboose. Save your pennies, and we can make it happen.
I am also a big fan of the Compass Rose Ukulele. :)

Thanks for the kind words Caboose. Save your pennies, and we can make it happen.
I am also a big fan of the Compass Rose Ukulele. :)
Yeah, the pennies are saved, it's the justifying I have to work on...:) my mediocre-at-best uke-playin' skills don't measure up to such a fine instrument. Although I am a believer in buying the best you can afford. I really do believe that a fine instrument encourages one to practice... that is, if you're brave enough to actually remove it from its case :drool: See... I'm trying to talk myself into it.
In all seriousness Jake, you really have a skill to be proud of. If the devil on my shoulder wins out, you'll be getting a call.

Dean

My dream uke right now, for completely irrational reasons for choosing an instrument, is the Big Island Ukulele KXXX-CTS. Why? Mostly because the Big Island was the first island I visited and I am still smitten for anything with a honu image on it, and the Deluxe HONU XXX Series has them in abundance.

Either a Kamaka or a KoAloha tenor. Nothing extravagant (Im not a fan of super embellished ukes), just a basic model. Of course I have years of practice and lots of money saving to do before I can justify that... someday maybe though.

Honestly I would have to see a HUGE improvement in sound quality to justify the $700 price hike from the ukes I'm playing now.

A Martin 3M is all I want! If I ever got that, the next thing on my list would be a Johnny Marvin Pro Tenor, but I could certainly live without it. :)

Top Bottom