PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream uke(s)?

hungry4adobo
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I was just wondering what is your dream uke(s)? Are you saving, dreaming, or already have it . Mine dream uke is a Kala Solid Acacia Concert. Yes, my dream may not be as extravagant as a custom uke but, it is still an all solid wood uke :D.

Rick
09-25-2011, 09:59 PM
A Moore Bettah fosho. I'd have a 4 string tenor with a slotted headstock and cutaway. Possibly a side sound port. Body would be AAAAA grade koa with a mustache shaped bridge made of ebony. The neck would be spanish cedar, with an ebony fret board. There would be no fret markers other than on the side of the fret board and on the 12th fret which would have the number 22 there. I'd have ebony and turquoise binding with a turquoise rosette, and an ebony veneer on the headstock coupled with my name on it. It'd also be strung up with Worth Browns, and would have Japan on the sound board along with Whidbey island making a slight yin yang shape near the bottom left (looking at the ukulele straight on)

that's my dream ukulele. It would play like a beast, look fantastic, and represent me :]

Hurricane Ramon
09-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Lucky I guess , my wife brings me one a few months ago , knowing how much I missed where I lived on The Big Island . And of all ukuleles she get's me an very old 1950s soprano to top it off . When I think of when I will make the move back I sigh and smile at the same time .

This Kamaka soprano is almost as old as I am as far as the ukuleles concerned , the wood , well that's another thing .

I have this vision of myself at Kolekole

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/hawaii/html/beaches/kolekole_beach_park.html

on the Big Island , under the bridge facing the water fall

and having the ocean to my right and the park there to my left with the salt spray drifting about the air and a surfer or two having a ball on the inside break there . Just sitting there maybe with my love and or with friends strumming to the rhythm of the surf breaking against the shoreline where the remnants of the old Hawaii Rail Road tracks that were wiped out by the 1948 tsunami from the Alaska .

The vision is sweet , the wait , bitter sweet just like the memories living there .

Aloooooooha all :

Hurricane Ramon

roxhum
09-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Ask me again in six months... But I think I just received my dream uke. A simple and elegant Kamaka soprano. A dream to play and a beautiful sound. I can't ask for more, accept maybe a mahogany of equal quality.

Caboose66
09-26-2011, 06:26 AM
For a non-traditional style, I am absolutely floored by the workmanship I've seen in the Hive ukuleles. I'm a guitar guy and fairly new to ukuleles, so that is probably why they appeal to me so much. I would love to get my hands on one of them. Some of the Rick Turner ukes really give me UAS as well... go figure - Renaissance and Hive ukes...

For a more traditional style (albeit much more "embellished"), the Morre-Bettah ukes blow me away. I also like what I've seen from Black Bear. Probably wouldn't list them as my "dream" but more reaonably attainable and a gigantic step up from my Lanikai.

Dean

kaizersoza
09-26-2011, 06:52 AM
up until recently my dream uke was a Mainland red cedar tenor which i saved my birthday money for, when I bought it, it became a reality, it is so beautiful to look at and to play, and if I never bought another uke, I would still be a happy bunny, I nearly bought a Kala solid acacia coz they are lovely instuments too but settled on the mainland, but being 'only human' i am starting to fancy the saddle off a new Kamaka tenor after hearing the reviews online about the sound they produce and also the quality of the intonation, so who knows maybe, just maybe, one day, I might own one..........................

Mandarb
09-26-2011, 06:57 AM
My Kamaka HF-3.

Shakespeare
09-26-2011, 07:05 AM
I am also a guitarist who is trying to learn uke. As I type this I am trying to total how much I could make by selling all my stuff. Enough to buy a Koaloha D-VI (6 string) would make me very happy but the cost to get one in Europe is really astronomical. One day...one day...:iwant:

09-26-2011, 07:07 AM
an `Oiwi Custom made with indigenous wood from the pu`uloa/makakilo region of o`ahu.

gyosh
09-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Since it's my "dream" uke, definitely something I've made myself every step of the way, from sourcing the local wood, to inlays made from the abalone shells already in my backyard (abalone was delicious by the way). If it sounds good . . . wait, "dream uke" so it definitely sounds AMAZING . . . I'd have my initials inlayed in the fretboard.

byjimini
09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm saving for a Compass Rose, all maple and top-of-the-line; also a Collings koa UT3.

PhilUSAFRet
09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Without getting too ostentatious, I think I would be quite happy with a Kanilea K3 6 string concert with UV finish and upgrade to highest grade of Koa

gaspar
09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
last week my dream uke came true! A johnny marvin professional tenor from 1928. Here is a pic:

I dont need any more ukes (we know this is a lie :o)

bbycrts
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
For years I would respond to the "dream uke" question with my list of specs:

Super soprano
Wide fingerboard
Myrtlewood back and sides
Port Orford cedar top
Walnut binding, face plate, end graft
Ebony bridge and fingerboard...

This August Bradford delivered it to my home...and it is absolutely my dream come true!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/bbycrts/Visit%20with%20Brad%20Donaldson/Custom%20uke/Body.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/bbycrts/Visit%20with%20Brad%20Donaldson/Custom%20uke/back.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/bbycrts/Visit%20with%20Brad%20Donaldson/Custom%20uke/Head.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/bbycrts/Visit%20with%20Brad%20Donaldson/Custom%20uke/carrot.jpg

maclay
09-27-2011, 05:12 AM
For a non-traditional style, I am absolutely floored by the workmanship I've seen in the Hive ukuleles. I'm a guitar guy and fairly new to ukuleles, so that is probably why they appeal to me so much. I would love to get my hands on one of them. Some of the Rick Turner ukes really give me UAS as well... go figure - Renaissance and Hive ukes...
Dean

Thanks for the kind words Caboose. Save your pennies, and we can make it happen.
I am also a big fan of the Compass Rose Ukulele. :)

Caboose66
09-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the kind words Caboose. Save your pennies, and we can make it happen.
I am also a big fan of the Compass Rose Ukulele. :)Yeah, the pennies are saved, it's the justifying I have to work on...:) my mediocre-at-best uke-playin' skills don't measure up to such a fine instrument. Although I am a believer in buying the best you can afford. I really do believe that a fine instrument encourages one to practice... that is, if you're brave enough to actually remove it from its case :drool: See... I'm trying to talk myself into it.
In all seriousness Jake, you really have a skill to be proud of. If the devil on my shoulder wins out, you'll be getting a call.

Dean

jamesboorn
09-27-2011, 07:43 AM
My dream uke right now, for completely irrational reasons for choosing an instrument, is the Big Island Ukulele KXXX-CTS (http://www.bigislandukulele.com/products/index.html#product01). Why? Mostly because the Big Island was the first island I visited and I am still smitten for anything with a honu image on it, and the Deluxe HONU XXX Series has them in abundance.

Jnobianchi
09-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Dream big.

For me, two ukes:

A Martin Style 5.

A Ludwig Banjo Uke, gold plated with crowns.

Both have come up for sale in the last year, in the case of the latter, about seven times. I just never have the 4K+ needed to make it happen.

I keep dreaming...

FlyedPiper
09-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Either a Kamaka or a KoAloha tenor. Nothing extravagant (Im not a fan of super embellished ukes), just a basic model. Of course I have years of practice and lots of money saving to do before I can justify that... someday maybe though.

Honestly I would have to see a HUGE improvement in sound quality to justify the $700 price hike from the ukes I'm playing now.

zac987
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
A Martin 3M is all I want! If I ever got that, the next thing on my list would be a Johnny Marvin Pro Tenor, but I could certainly live without it. :)

modern day ukuleleist
09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Kala pocket ukulele

or any pocket/sopranino ukulele for that matter

OldePhart
09-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Honestly I would have to see a HUGE improvement in sound quality to justify the $700 price hike from the ukes I'm playing now.

<rant mode="soapbox">
Stop that nonsense! You do not have to be good enough to deserve the instrument, the instrument has to be good enough to deserve you! Every time I hear somebody saying, "well, when I get good enough to justify a nice instrument,,," I get an almost overwhelming urge to slap them around. Fortunately, this usually happens on the internet where that urge cannot be fulfilled. This is an especially good thing since I would probably have had the snot pounded out of me more than once by now.

I've played guitar for years and I've had many friends and coworkers ask me how much they need to spend to get their kid a guitar. I tell every one of them the same thing, "if you want the kid to succeed, get the best instrument you can afford, if you're afraid the kid might become a rock star, and you want him to be something mundane like a doctor or lawyer, get him a cheap instrument advertised as 'perfect for beginners.'"
</rant>

If you can afford it then get a really good uke now. You will learn faster, have much more fun learning, and in the long run you will save money (buying a succession of instruments, most of which don't hold good resale value, is very expensive compared to buying a really good uke once).

This isn't snobbery. If all you can afford is a Dolphin then buy it and love it. But if you can afford better, don't cheat yourself. You can get a Dolphin or a mid-range uke set up so it's a decent player - and if that's what you can afford then by all means go for it and don't ever let anybody with deeper pockets look down their nose at you. But, you will never get an inexpensive or mid-range uke to sound like a top-notch uke. "K-brand and better" ukes are capable of expression and dynamics that you won't find in lesser ukes, period. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with them - the Gugug guys have tons of fun on their vintage plastic ukes and other assorted "toy instruments."

As for mid-range ukes I love Mainlands as a great mid-priced uke because Mike and Tootka set them up well and every one I've played had a decent "voice" - but as much as I love them they aren't in the same class as a KoAloha, Kamaka, Mya Moe, etc.

I.e., if you can afford a good mid-ranged uke then get one. If you can afford a KoAloha, etc., then bypass the Ohanas and Mainlands and buy one. If you can't afford any of the above then get a "lesser" uke, have it set up well, and enjoy the bejabbers out of it. But, don't ever think you should wait to buy a better instrument until your skills "deserve" it!

John

John

foxfair
09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Agree on what @OldPhart said above. I thank myself to buy the Kamaka in 3 moths after my first cheapo. Of course my skill is still rough now, but I found I have learned faster than playing on the first cheapo. The bonus side about a newbie buying a good instrument is, your skill improves with the instrument growth, and it is like... you are taming a beast and becoming friends from enemies.

OldePhart
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I guess I'd have to answer my "dream uke" question like this:

I already have the only uke I'll ever need in my KoAloha longneck soprano. If money were literally no object at all then I wouldn't mind having a luthier-built longneck soprano with bindings and my initials inlaid either on the headstock or at the 12th fret, and a good internal soundboard/bridgeplate pickup system (not UST).

As you can see, I'm not a super-glitzy guy. A few years ago I had an SG-style electric guitar custom built to my specs by a guy whose work I couldn't afford, now. It has a chambered mahogany body with a maple cap and I could have had AAAA flamed maple with a fancy translucent burst finish at the same price - but I had him paint it with a simple "aged white" finish - much easier to touch up when the inevitable dings happen.

hmgberg
09-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Agree on what @OldPhart said above. I thank myself to buy the Kamaka in 3 moths after my first cheapo. Of course my skill is still rough now, but I found I have learned faster than playing on the first cheapo. The bonus side about a newbie buying a good instrument is, your skill improves with the instrument growth, and it is like... you are taming a beast and becoming friends from enemies.

Yup! I beat this drum, too. If you want to play better, start by getting a better instrument. You will want to play more, hear more, etc. In fact, whatever you're playing on your cheapo will sound better on a better ukulele. You'll be encouraged.

As for my dream uke(s), I have several of them already. I love Martins and Kamakas. Sopranos. I'm on the hunt for a Martin Style 1, very early (don't tell my wife). But I also indulge fantasies of owning ukuleles made by some of our contributing luthiers. I don't play tenors, but I was on the Gryphon site; they post sound sample and pictures. There's a Compass Rose that I think blows all the other tenors away. Give a listen:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/36709/36709.php

foxfair
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
To keep on topic, my dream ukes are simple: Kamaka. I've owned one, but wish to check other size as well. I also have one custom build on the way, I don't even want to think about others, but who knows....

I'm not a fan of Martin, Colling, Feder etc.... so my list is short.

allanr
09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
1) Compass Rose tenor
2) vintage Martin 3 in pristine condition
3) National resonator

And I already own the National :-)

localmana
09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I now have my dream uke.....I recently retired and decided to give myself a special gift so I went to Rick Turner's shop in Santa Cruz and asked him to make a uke with a cedar top and a rosewood body with peghed tuners. Absolutely great. I don't play my other ukes and I'm not really interested in even looking at other ukes. I've become a one uke guy...

Scott Stahlecker
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
It would have to be made, but I'd like a tenor sounding, body as big as a baritone, cutaway, with a double humbucker, and a single coil pickup. But it would have to have a genuine full koa sound when not plugged in.

Dream on I guess. . .:)

arpie
09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Well, I thought my Mainland Banjo Uke was pretty special when I got it ....... then the Postman came yesterday with my 'new/old' Kamaka Soprano which is pretty sweet (and I am very excited) ......... but last week I tried a local luthier's uke (Graham Bird - he also does superb guitars) made from native timbers and it was REALLY SWEET and beautiful to play! It may have to go onto the list as well as a decent concert uke, yet to be decided - probably a Mainland again as I really like their sound! :)

cheers

Roberta

Hippie Dribble
09-27-2011, 03:40 PM
a concert resonator made out of fiddleback sapele from the folks at mya moe... :drool:

RichM
09-27-2011, 03:54 PM
I have to say, with my de Mesquita and Maui Music tenors, I don't dream as much as I used to. Unbelievably fabulous ukes by builders who are true artists.

Now with that being said, I've played a couple of Rick Turner's ukes, and I gota say... dude knows a thing or two about building a great sounding uke. And while I've never had the pleasure of playing one of Chuck Moore's, they are hands down some of the most beautiful instruments of any sort I've ever seen. So I sure wouldn't mind adding a Compass Rose or a Moore Bettah to the stable...

modern day ukuleleist
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
By the way, if anyone wants to buy something really unique and offbeat, check this out:

http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.183048499.jpg
http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.174024162.jpg

This guy makes completely custom instruments on request.

His website:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/celentanowoodworks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNfAIwNRLwM

rosceaux
09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
It might sound simple, but I am totally in love with the Kamaka hf-2. Love the sound, the looks, the headstock, the simplicity. I've got a total jones going for one.

Someday.... someday...

Canoe Lady
09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Moore Bettah for sure. I'm saving up now.

Leodhas
09-28-2011, 05:26 AM
My dream uke doesn't exist, but in my mind this is what it/they would be;

A set of three (soprano, concert, tenor) standard hour glass bodied ukes made under the Epiphone brand from koa back and sides and Imbuia top with an ebony fret board (with amber inlay) and the Epiphone headstock logo done in a 20's style in some kind of blue!

(Obviously all hand made, guess it would have to be in the Gibson factory in the states but if this is a dream why not Hand made by Epaminondas Stathopoulos whilst on a 6 mth holiday to Hawaii in 1920).

That would be my dream uke/s.

drbekken
09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
I would love to own a vintage Martin O. When I win the lottery, I'll jump on the internet.

pulelehua
09-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I think if I'm honest, I would say that I don't know enough. Haven't heard enough ukuleles. I have a really nice custom ukulele, but there's another sound out there that I can hear in my head, and it's different than what I've heard. I don't know how it would be made, and I'm trying really hard not to think about buying anything until I work out what it is.

Nickie
09-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Right now, I am dreaming of my Cordoba Concert being played without buzzing! Then, I will save up my dough and look for something fancy, but not until I don't consider myself a beginner anymore. I really like what I see of the Myamo, Kamaka, Koaloha, and Big island ukuleles. Sorry, not too sure of the spellings.

zac987
09-28-2011, 08:55 AM
I would love to own a vintage Martin O. When I win the lottery, I'll jump on the internet.
If you're lucky, you can find them for pretty reasonable prices. I found my Style O at the Flea Market for $300 lol! Nothing wrong with it except a small back crack which was taken care of cheaply by a luthier friend. Looking at it in person, you wouldn't know it was there if I didn't mention it.

peytakeeho
09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Kamaka HF-3 with electricy-holey-thingy plwease :o also, if I'm ever good enough, they might let me have a slotted headstock :iwant:

Trinimon
09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
My dream uke would be a semi-custom Kamaka HF3 with an ebony fretboard (maybe headstock too, undecided). Might come true in June 2012 if I place my order in by March 2012. :p

Trinimon
09-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Wooh, I read it and immediately checked the Kamaka site and read about the semi-customs. Cool!
How come you have an indication? Have you contacted them already?

I've exchanged emails with the good folks at Kamaka about getting a semi-custom made up before I get there for July 1st, 2012. I was told to give them 6-8wks advance notice so I'm going to be extra safe and put in the order in March. A few folks on UU have custom Kamakas. They're gorgeous!

joeybug
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm getting my "dream" Uke soon...well putting down a deposit on it and then watching it get built and then...then I'll be able to play it!!!! It's gonna be a custom Cursley. English Yew w/ ebony fretboard and tuners AND it's gonna have "joeybug" on it tooo!!!! *so excited*

Maybe this will cure my UAS and lead to me selling some of my others *thinks for a moment*

Well, maybe it'll cure my UAS, I doubt I'll sell anything, love them Ukes I have, they're my prized possessions and all have extreme sentimental value!

marymac
09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I am also a guitarist who is trying to learn uke. As I type this I am trying to total how much I could make by selling all my stuff. Enough to buy a Koaloha D-VI (6 string) would make me very happy but the cost to get one in Europe is really astronomical. One day...one day...:iwant:

I'm selling one on Flea Market and I would ship it to Europe for you. In fact can hear it calling your name from here. Shakespeare...SHAKEspeare...buy me Shakespeare...

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp
:)

UkePA
09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
My dream uke would be a tenor with cutaway, slotted head. Rosewood back and sides with a cedar top. Bound in maple and rosewood.

Basically, I want a scaled down version of my Taylor NS72 guitar.

Heard today that Taylor is planning a release of the uke by Christmas. They have been really hush hush.

Erik

mybote
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
my dream uke? My Kamaka HF 3. Just can't put it down. When I'm not playing it, I'm just staring at it.:drool:

Mandarb
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I just saw a few searching through the forum, gorgeous indeed! Are the options listed under 'Kamaka Specials' up-to-date (is rosette, purfling and binding available?) ? Maybe I'll just have to email them with what I have in mind. When you have choices, it suddenly becomes kind of difficult!

Kamaka is currently not making customs. Their semi-customs which they call specials are also limited with what options they will provide.

jackwhale
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
a Pohaku koa tenor is on my list. (Peter Hurney--Berkeley)

I've only played baritone ukes which has been an easy transition from guitar. My 'singing' has become much better with the baritone compared with guitar--I have no idea why, but everyone seems to notice. OF course, this just means that I don't sound as bad when accompanying myself on the baritone.

It will be a big deal to branch out from baritones and get my first CGEA uke but I'll be able to play the same chords as everyone else without the constant challenge of transposing to baritone fingerings.

ukegirl
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Would not mind someday getting my Loprinzi soprano back.....or maybe a Martin 3M or the cherry one perhaps....boy, I miss the good old days when I could just buy
what I wanted with no worries!!

marymac
09-29-2011, 05:11 PM
a Pohaku koa tenor is on my list. (Peter Hurney--Berkeley)

My Pohaku is one of my "keepers". Good choice!

mssnrygrl
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
My current dream uke is a natural Flea with Peghed tuners and the regular plastic fret board. I will paint a big black pentagram star around the sound hole. Love the intonation, the flat bottom, and the near-indestructableness... :o

Olarte
01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
A Pineapple Sunday which I scored and received on New Years Eve!

It definitely cured my UAS, as between that, my other KoAloha, Mya Moe and the other 6 ukes is more than I will ever be able to play.

You can check out my collection on the albums in my profile :)

MGM
01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
My dream ukulele is one that I build myself. For over 40 years I have been a word worker and in my early years spent over a decade making koa furniture for several of the best high end furniture makers in Hawaii. Although I have designed and tweaked ukuleles made by overseas country I have yet to build a truly custom uke utilizing all my skills of Woodcraft including inlays and marquetry. As I know my years are numbered here due to my continuing health prognosis I would also like to make at least one ukulele for market. Now that I have more time due to the partnership with Hawaii Music Supply I make it my resolution this year to build two ukuleles...one for market and one for myself...

Nickie
01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I hope you get to do it, Mike!

Skrik
01-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Martin 3K. However, noting the rarity and price of these pretty little things, I think a custom ukulele with all the Martin appointments and ornamentation is more realistic. I'm still working with myself, trying to justify the expense, but I'm sure I'll get there. ;)

byjimini
01-05-2012, 01:04 AM
The Compass Rose was one of the first ukes I ever saw; I had just started playing my mahalo, and whilst searching for ukulele material on Google I came across pictures of a walnut CR. I just stared at it for hours, it look like it had been made from the wood of HMS Resolute, and the sound hole and headstock details looked amazing.

My parents bought me a Samich, which is laminated maple. I loved the look of the maple so much that I decided one day I would get a Compass Rose in maple; in the next six weeks or so, it'll be here. :D

Caboose66
01-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Byjimini,
I can't wait to see your maple Compass Rose. I've got a flamed maple CR and I love it. It looks fantastic and sounds even better.
What are the details of your custom build?

Dean

byjimini
01-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Ah yes, Flamed Maple, that's it! I've got hemp purfling with black binding, gloss finish & pickup.

Caboose66
01-05-2012, 04:23 AM
I look forward to seeing pictures when it's completed. I've not seen hemp purfling before and am interested in what that looks like. Mine has rope/black binding, gloss finish and no pickup... why amplify my amateur playing ;)

Dust off your camera.... will definitely want to see many pix when it's done.

Cheers, Dean

byjimini
01-05-2012, 04:29 AM
I'll be doing a blog post on my site (link in my sig) as well as a post here too.

This is a cherry CR, with hemp binding.

Caboose66
01-05-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks... I'll definitely keep an eye on your blog.
Thanks for posting the cherry with hemp picture. I had not seen that combo. I love the look of the cherry almost as much as the maple and had entertained the idea of picking up a Style "A" CR in cherry and had been asking Rick Turner and Jake Maclay about cherry's tonewood virtues as well.

Dean

byjimini
01-05-2012, 05:02 AM
Rick had a cherry tenor ready for dispatch when I was placing my order, I nearly took him up on it but my heart was set on maple. It does look lovely though.

BadLands Bart
01-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Custom made Moore Bettah!!!