Poll: Sopranino, Soprano, Concert, Tenor, or Baritone?

Which size of ukulele do you prefer?

• Sopranino

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Soprano

Votes: 54 20.2%
  • Super-Soprano (Soprano body, Concert neck)

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Concert

Votes: 83 31.1%
  • Super-Concert (Concert body, Tenor neck)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Tenor

Votes: 103 38.6%
  • Baritone

Votes: 8 3.0%

• Total voters

ChiyoDad

Reaction score
I wanted to get a sense of folk's preference for uke size. You get one vote. This doesn't mean that you play only that size, it's only which size your prefer to play most of the time.

I prefer tenor. :)

I've provided options for in-between sizes (ex: Super-Soprano and Super-Concert).

Concert is my favourite. It has that little extra finger room but still has the ukulele sound.

right now im playing a soprano, but im in the market for a concert. i just like the body size of the concert alittle more. easier to hold...
howlie boy.

I enjoy playing all the sizes except for the Baritone (haven't tried it), but I definitely lean heavily toward tenors and concerts. The tenor and concert scale lengths actually doesn't feel all that different to me, but if I could only choose one, I'll probably take a tenor.

I tried a soprano but it was too small for me. I got a KoAloha concert size which was a better size for me. Feels comfortable too on my fingers.

I enjoy playing all the sizes except for the Baritone (haven't tried it), but I definitely lean heavily toward tenors and concerts.

t_144_01.jpg

GX, get an inexpensive Hilo Baritone and set it up with Hilo Regular High-G strings. You can out-volume and out-project any luthier-made tenor uke that doesn't use an amp.
:D

Aquila also makes a set of strings like these.

Maybe that's why I've seen a few photos of Kimo Hussey using baritones lately.

Concert - what Woodshed said. But I'm a newbie what do I know. If not limited to one I would like to have one of each the Tenor with low G.

t_144_01.jpg

GX, get an inexpensive Hilo Baritone and set it up with Hilo Regular High-G strings. You can out-volume and out-project any luthier-made tenor uke that doesn't use an amp.

ChiyoDad - Yes, I suppose that would be true, but where's the fun in that???:D

I've actually tried a couple of Kala Baritones and wasn't really into the sound. But I think I will eventually get a cheap Baritone just for fun when UAS mandates another uke purchase...:p

current ly im playing a hilo soprano but is an upgrade necessary or is my current uke good??

current ly im playing a hilo soprano but is an upgrade necessary or is my current uke good??
IMHO, as long as the intonation is accurate (and it usually is on a basic Hilo) and you're comfortable, there's no reason to upgrade until you clearly understand what particular sound you want, have identified the uke to help you produce it, and have the budget for an upgrade.

At the beginners' stage, we haven't yet exploited the full capabilities of our instruments. I've seen what a skilled player can pump out of my $89 laminate-top guitar and realized that I have an excellent instrument
:eek:

Of course, if you happen to trip over a pile of money, ...

t_144_01.jpg

Aquila also makes a set of strings like these.

Maybe that's why I've seen a few photos of Kimo Hussey using baritones lately.

i have a hilo baritone. cost me $50. cool uke. strung her up dGBE. play her like the bottom four strings of a guitar, but the reentrant string up gives it that uke feel. its cheap. and it sounds cheap. but its definitely fun to play!

tenor which im pretty sure i got. although with my old baritone i could rip through Misirlou.

im a tenor guy

Top Bottom