PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Sopranino, Soprano, Concert, Tenor, or Baritone?

ChiyoDad
02-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I wanted to get a sense of folk's preference for uke size. You get one vote. This doesn't mean that you play only that size, it's only which size your prefer to play most of the time.

I prefer tenor. :)

I've provided options for in-between sizes (ex: Super-Soprano and Super-Concert).

Woodshed
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Concert is my favourite. It has that little extra finger room but still has the ukulele sound.

Howlie Boy
02-05-2008, 11:13 AM
right now im playing a soprano, but im in the market for a concert. i just like the body size of the concert alittle more. easier to hold...
howlie boy.

koa
02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Tough choice. Most days the King A5, but I also really like the KoAloha std concert.

GX9901
02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I enjoy playing all the sizes except for the Baritone (haven't tried it), but I definitely lean heavily toward tenors and concerts. The tenor and concert scale lengths actually doesn't feel all that different to me, but if I could only choose one, I'll probably take a tenor.

cs1x
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I tried a soprano but it was too small for me. I got a KoAloha concert size which was a better size for me. Feels comfortable too on my fingers.

ChiyoDad
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I enjoy playing all the sizes except for the Baritone (haven't tried it), but I definitely lean heavily toward tenors and concerts.

http://www.ukuleleworld2.com/files/t_144_01.jpg
GX, get an inexpensive Hilo Baritone and set it up with Hilo Regular High-G strings. You can out-volume and out-project any luthier-made tenor uke that doesn't use an amp.
:D

Aquila also makes a set of strings like these.

Maybe that's why I've seen a few photos of Kimo Hussey (http://www.kimohussey.com/) using baritones lately.

Mortsnets
02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Concert - what Woodshed said. But I'm a newbie what do I know. If not limited to one I would like to have one of each the Tenor with low G.

GX9901
02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
GX, get an inexpensive Hilo Baritone and set it up with Hilo Regular High-G strings. You can out-volume and out-project any luthier-made tenor uke that doesn't use an amp.

ChiyoDad - Yes, I suppose that would be true, but where's the fun in that???:D

I've actually tried a couple of Kala Baritones and wasn't really into the sound. But I think I will eventually get a cheap Baritone just for fun when UAS mandates another uke purchase...:p

Koyuki1014
02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
current ly im playing a hilo soprano but is an upgrade necessary or is my current uke good??

ChiyoDad
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
current ly im playing a hilo soprano but is an upgrade necessary or is my current uke good??
IMHO, as long as the intonation is accurate (and it usually is on a basic Hilo) and you're comfortable, there's no reason to upgrade until you clearly understand what particular sound you want, have identified the uke to help you produce it, and have the budget for an upgrade.

At the beginners' stage, we haven't yet exploited the full capabilities of our instruments. I've seen what a skilled player can pump out of my $89 laminate-top guitar and realized that I have an excellent instrument
:eek:

Of course, if you happen to trip over a pile of money, ...

experimentjon
02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I love the soprano. Nice and compact, and less finger travel between frets.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
tenor! wooooooooooooooooooooo

dajoka
02-05-2008, 07:42 PM
tenor fo me too.

Weezy
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
i voted concert only because i play one. I would like a custom tenor at some point, but i love the way my uke sounds!

NukeDOC
02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Aquila also makes a set of strings like these.

Maybe that's why I've seen a few photos of Kimo Hussey (http://www.kimohussey.com/) using baritones lately.

i have a hilo baritone. cost me $50. cool uke. strung her up dGBE. play her like the bottom four strings of a guitar, but the reentrant string up gives it that uke feel. its cheap. and it sounds cheap. but its definitely fun to play!

tsudawuda
02-05-2008, 08:09 PM
tenor which im pretty sure i got. although with my old baritone i could rip through Misirlou.

seeso
02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Tenor fo sho.

ChiyoDad
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
ChiyoDad - Yes, I suppose that would be true, but where's the fun in that???:D
Spending the $950 that you'd save on two more ukuleles!
:D :D

Yeah, using a bari in High-G is probably "cheating".

G~Ukes
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
im a tenor guy

grappler
02-08-2008, 03:34 AM
inm also a tenor but wouldnt mind a concert.

Fred Miu
02-08-2008, 04:03 AM
for my next uke, im thinking about getting a concert.

KosLooney
02-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Tenor for me.
Unless its after 10PM, then I prefer my concert, cause I don't want my ass to be kicked by my housemates:o.
The lady's prefer their beauty sleep, above my music:p

Minamin
02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Soprano is my favorite. I want to get a sopranino though, I'm a small guy and so my sopranos look more like concerts.

grappler
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
for my next uke, im thinking about getting a concert.

likewise.. some reason i wanna rip it on a concert:eek:

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-14-2008, 06:08 PM
i own a tenor atm, im thinking of Soprano, than concert... get a better tenor and then a baritone.

i like the one on musicians friend... it is heaps good, but they dont ship to aus... the one guting plays, its just heaps deep... love it!

rklicsu
02-26-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm currently playing a Tenor.

jjsdad
02-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Right now Soprano because of the higher pitch than my baritone, but I would really like to try a concert for the longer neck. I think my family would prefer I play tenor... that is, ten or twenty miles away... (Sorry, just had to say it. ;) )

mossyoak
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
tenor all the way

Esy
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I have Tenor uke for one day and I prefer it ;]
Before, I play on soprano uke, I love the pure uke sound.

But for my solo play is tenor better choice, more place for fingers, and sweet colored sound.

koa
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Wondering if there are any correlations to uke size choice and home region. From the Cosmos site (UK based) I get the feeling soprano, concerts are the preference. I'm assuming the largest number of people at this site are from western USA & Pacific region. Based on this poll it looks to be tenor are size choice. Maybe not home region but biological age? Does the uke manufacturing sector track this data?

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
im starting to collect ukuleles, well i havnt started yet but when i get a job and get some actual money im going to start collecting them.. i want to have 20 different ukes... 4 of each type, and pretty good ones aswell..

not all same brand either like kala, kamaka etc.. (dont know any more brands...*embarrassing*) :)

Jimmy
02-27-2008, 07:00 AM
I like baritones. My baritone is high G tuned and it's pretty sweet. I might get an electric tenor for my birthday.

RavenSeven
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I love my tenor, but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a really nice concert or soprano yet. Maybe I'll change my mind one day. The idea of a tenor neck on a concert body does sound intriguing though. Is there a reason (other than looks) for this size?

Howlin Hobbit
02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Soprano.

But I'd love to get a sopranino.

AnthonyUkulele
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
i like tenors i dont have on tho but ive tried...but i really wanna try the super concert

tad
04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Soprano-- though like Hobbit, I'd love to get a Sopranino.

I have really small hands, and I'm mostly interested in strumming. The Soprano serves my needs quite well.

jhob
04-06-2008, 12:19 AM
soprano is all that I have played so soprano it is. I would rather like a tenor though, just for a bit of variety.

Poi Dog
04-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Wholly old polls Batman! :D Nice dig up!

Tenor here!

russ_buss
04-06-2008, 06:20 AM
i have a concert fluke. the GF has a soprano. but just placed an order for a tenor and pretty sure once i get it, i'll be leaning towards the tenor because of more frets!

luvdat
01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
After an all-nighter with a soprano and a concert I realized what I had said before...soprano. Hey, can I change my vote from concert to soprano?

At least I edited my original post.

iDavid
01-09-2010, 01:13 AM
I've never played a tenor before, but have one one order.

have to wait and see

pdxuke
01-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Old poll, but still a good one and I'm a noob:

I have only sopranos and the sopranino, but I plan on adding at least one concert (Ohana or Mainland) and the Kala Mahogany Tenor that MGM has a great price on. While I prefer playing sopranos, variety is the spice of life.

pulelehua
01-09-2010, 08:31 AM
It makes me a bit sad that the tenor is doing as well as the Soprano and Concert combined. I voted Concert, as I own one ukulele. Yep, you guessed it...

I've played a tenor once, and sopranos quite a lot. I think a super-soprano is the one I'd like to try.

ukulelearp
01-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Tenor. I don't care much about the extra room for regular chords, but after the seventh fret the extra space and extra frets add a lot more range.

strum4ever
01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
I had been a soprano player for many years, but once I tried a concert and then a tenor the extra fret space and tone won me over quickly.

UkuEroll
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I like the sound of the Tenor best, but the concert is easier for those Jake tunes, and soprano for it's authenticity.

jkevinwolfe
01-10-2010, 02:57 AM
I started with a soprano, went to a tenor, then back to a soprano. They're more difficult to fret, but for me, that's more than made up for by the fact that the soprano requires so little energy to get the strings moving. Gentle strumming and plucking is all that's required to get optimal sound.

I liked the fuller body sound of a tenor, but found that a rounded body and a warm lively soundboard on a soprano can sound just as rich. I have a soprano Boat Paddle Kayak and couldn't be happier with it.

itsnathanC
01-10-2010, 05:51 AM
soprano! why?

1. mobility.
2. small fingers.
3. i just love it!

Derick
01-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Hi
Tenor First
Concert Second
Soprano Third.

There is no right answer, pure choice.

grammy
01-10-2010, 07:05 AM
i cant answer this, they are all different and all enjoyable in their way, as are guitars and basses and mandolins too.

hugmepleaze
01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
CONCERT! but if I was rich I would buy a soprano and a tenor also.
the concert gives me more room for notes so I can play more songs!

angusdegraosta
11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I have to vote soprano. I'm starting out with it, and I dig the sound - even on my little red Makala Dolphin. I may go for a concert in a couple of months, but I'm finding the soprano to be an excellent size and sound so far. I should mention a well set-up tenor also feels awesome in the hands and fits very nicely on the lap - played one at a music store. It was a Lanikai CK-T, perhaps overpriced and not stellar-sounding, but they did an AOK job with the set-up at this particular Sam Goody, and I got a really good sense of why tenor is a popular size. The baritone sounds just beautiful, like a cello in ukulele world... so I cast my soprano vote, but all the sizes are great for different reasons.

Big_e
11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Soprano for me. I bought a concert last Saturday. I do like it but LOVE my sopranos.
Ernest

mm stan
11-06-2011, 07:23 PM
doesn't matter,all ukes make me happy playing...

sweetiecino
11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Is there any male/female correlation to the results??

joeybug
11-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I only have Soprano's and although at times wish I had more frets, don't like the concert feel, so would probably go for a Super-Soprano if I wanted the extra frets! Otherwise, Soprano all the way for me!

mascompro
11-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Currently it is soprano all the way, although I am contemplating making my next major purchase a concert, not including the flea I want to add in as a take anywhere uke.

Nickie
11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm a concert gal. It fits me the best, and I love the sound, plus, it's within my price range. I got my 1st concert 10 months ago, and we are inseparable. I just bought a second, and did a handshake deal on a third concert. I'm hooked.

Witters
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Hooked on Soprano.
I have Soprano, Concert, and Tenor, and another 2 Soprano's:D
I can see, like, and understand the logic behind all 3, even the Baritone, but just love the small easy to play ( well its easier for me) Soprano's.

I'm over 6 foot and 300lbs by the way and they seem to fit me like a glove.

Tootler
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a Soprano and Concert. The concert is the better instrument - well, it cost more for a start and it does have a better tone.

I use the Concert when I play out and the Soprano mostly for practising at home. Although it is not quite such a good instrument it still has good tone and intonation.

I like them both but prefer the concert both because it has better tone but also because it is slightly more comfortable to play.

angusdegraosta
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Is there any male/female correlation to the results??

I have to say sometimes you see those kinds of correlations as a marketing ploy on YouTube videos, so a vendor, doing a size and sound comparison video, might say the tenor "is more popular with our male customers" or that women and children tend to go for the smaller sizes. Perhaps the subtext in the message is "man up and spend more money on the tenor." But from what I'm seeing on the forum, regardless of which is the most popular size, people tend to go for the instrument that fits their personal preference and the music they enjoy. Gender doesn't seem to be such a big part of it.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
11-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Only one surprise here in the poll results for me: I would've thought baritone would have at least 5%, maybe even 10% of the vote. Baritone ukuleles sound so good.

angusdegraosta
11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Only one surprise here in the poll results for me: I would've thought baritone would have at least 5%, maybe even 10% of the vote. Baritone ukuleles sound so good.

I revived the thread by posting on Nov. 7. At that time there were two votes for baritone: as of now there are six more for a total of eight. I think the baritone sounds terrific and is a heck of a lot of fun to play. It would probably lend itself really well to bouzouki and Irish music in addition to jazz and blues.