Ohta San's Hawaii Five-O record

Michael_

Reaction score
I love Ohta San's music and I love Hawaii five-O. Now I've seen in Ohta's discography that he has recorded an Album called Hawaii Five-O. I can't find it on amazon, itunes ... Does anybody have this album, or have an idea where to get it?

Ohta-san

No, I don't know where to get it but check out getting it from itunes as a download. They have stuff that's not available.

Just want to say: You have good taste. He's the man!

Do you know Benny Chong?

Do you know Glen Rose's Jazzy Ukes for learning jazz/ it's helped me a lot. I can read jazz charts half way decently now.

Lyle Ritz Lite is good also

Best I could do was come up with the 8-track :)

I was able to track down a couple of hard-to-find Ohta-San recordings via Ukulele PuaPua when I was in Honolulu earlier this year - maybe give them a call to see if it's one they have.

Yeah I've also found the 8-track. I had to google what 8-track is ;)

Contacting Surfside Records and puapua are good suggestions. I've sent them an email. Thanks :)

@Kimosabe: I have all 3 Lyle Ritz books and it helped me a lot. Also seen Benny Chong on Youtube and checked out Glenn Rose's site. And I've read all the way through this online jazz method: http://www.outsideshore.com/school/music/almanac/html/toc/index.htm
I think in theory I'm a great ukulele player ;)

jazz uke

Hey thanks for the tip...........I tried to find Ohta san's Bossa Nova in Hawaii and on line and it was something like $50 from Japan. I found it on itunes for cheap and I'm not an ituner. thanks for the jazz info. In theory I'm pretty good also.

Yeah I've also found the 8-track. I had to google what 8-track is ;)

Oh, goodness, you just made me feel about a GAZILLION years old. My first car came with an 8-track player!

Please report back if you do find it, thanks. I'm always on the lookout for more Ohta-San.

Oh, goodness, you just made me feel about a GAZILLION years old. My first car came with an 8-track player!

I guess it's more because I'm from Europe. We didn't have 8-track here. :)

Puapua can't help me, the album is out of print. :( I should try my luck at amazon, maybe a used one will pop up some time. Still waiting for the label's answer...

I should try my luck at amazon, maybe a used one will pop up some time.

Also try eBay - save your search and set it to email you when matching listings are found. I managed to score an out of print Hawaiian compilation this way - it was a Czech pressing that was selling on Amazon for $100 and up, and I eventually found it on eBay for $8.

And, thanks for the clarification about 8-track. I feel much younger now :)

Please report back if you do find it, thanks. I'm always on the lookout for more Ohta-San.

Janeray, you are a youngster! My first car came with a A.M. (only) vacuum tube radio.

I'd like to find the Ohta-San tape too!

I have a copy on LP

I was in Hawaii between '68 and '72 and bought 2 Ohta San albums while I was learning to play the ukulele (I have a Kamaka purchased back then). One of the albums is the Hawaii Five O record. Unfortunately when we moved from Hawaii to Virginia most of our belongings were damaged in a flood in storage. I salvaged the albums by peeling all of the paper out of the grooves of the record; cover and liner were totally a mess. Recently I dug them out and transferred to the computer from my B&O turntable via Phone to USB device and Audacity software. There's a bunch of hiss and crackle as you can imagine....but I do have a copy if you have any questions about its contents.

Top Bottom