Mele Standard Soprano Review?

khairijamian

Reaction score
Aloha! Heard good things about Meles, and wish to buy one in future as soon as my academic loans are approved (yeah, I do allocates some for good ukuleles! :D), but need a good review on (specifically) their standard soprano ukulele (lovely inlay, ebony fingerboard & bridge). Here is the link http://www.meleukulele.com/shopexd.asp?id=1 Also, is it true that lower end Meles are being made in Philippines and only sent to Hawaii for their final setups?

Hope that there will be someone to review this! Thanks!

Last edited:
Aloha! I believe that all Mele ukes are made in the Philippines and sent to Hawaii for their final setup. From my experience, to my ear, Mele ukes sound great! When it comes to ukuleles, guitars, etc, the sound and tone of an instrument is very subjective to each individual. Some people go by the sound and tone alone when choosing an instrument. For others, it can be a combination of sound, tone, aesthetics (looks), shape, adornments, wood combinations, etc. For others, the Brand or Manufacturer is a major influence for them. A lot of people swear by the "Big K" brands from Hawaii. So, it all comes down to what your preferences are and how deep your pockets are. Hope this help a little.

Just got back from Maui last month where I picked up another Mele ukulele. Cheryl will take very good care of you and it's really hard to go wrong with any of their products. I personaly own a Concert 6 string Koa and now I have a Koa and Mahagony travel Tenor and both sound fantastic. The action is good and I have been very happy with thier perfomrance, maybe not mine, but they do fine. As for the other comment about where they are built, I beleive that to be accurate, the construction occurs off shore and they are finished on Maui. In the case of my 6 string, we could not pick it up until the final gloss coats were applied (gorgeous...) Enjoy your Uke!

Just made up my mind between soprano and tenor, and I'll stick with soprano (although I've recently tempted by the sound of tenor, they're suitable for me as I got bigger fingers), and this Mele thingy would be my first good solid soprano. The problem is there's Mainland Red Cedar Soprano, in which, receiving 100% good feedback (good reputations too!), and I'm quite confused between those two. Any recommendations? Quite (slighty) disappointed with that Philippines issue, but where's Mainland ukuleles are being made? I hope there's someone good enough to upload sound samples of their Mele Standard Soprano soon! Thanks rossjr and cnkguitarandukes for your feedback, will be taken into account! Good day! :D

Just made up my mind between soprano and tenor, and I'll stick with soprano (although I've recently tempted by the sound of tenor, they're suitable for me as I got bigger fingers), and this Mele thingy would be my first good solid soprano. The problem is there's Mainland Red Cedar Soprano, in which, receiving 100% good feedback (good reputations too!), and I'm quite confused between those two. Any recommendations? Quite (slighty) disappointed with that Philippines issue, but where's Mainland ukuleles are being made? I hope there's someone good enough to upload sound samples of their Mele Standard Soprano soon! Thanks rossjr and cnkguitarandukes for your feedback, will be taken into account! Good day! :D

Mainlands are made in China.

I am the unofficial Mele man here:) I am saving up at this time to buy a mele mahogany soprano or an 8 string. I would not hesitate to buy another Mele (have owned or currently own 7 meles). After KoAloha Mele is my favorite uke company. Mainlands are nice as well and I own a red cedar rosewood concert as my beater uke.

Of the Meles I have owned and played (used to live about 200m from the Mele store on Maui) I believe their mahogany ukes are there best sounding ones. At least to me they are the best sounding. Go Mele. You won't go wrong.

Mainlands are made in China.

I am the unofficial Mele man here:) I am saving up at this time to buy a mele mahogany soprano or an 8 string. I would not hesitate to buy another Mele (have owned or currently own 7 meles). After KoAloha Mele is my favorite uke company. Mainlands are nice as well and I own a red cedar rosewood concert as my beater uke.

Of the Meles I have owned and played (used to live about 200m from the Mele store on Maui) I believe their mahogany ukes are there best sounding ones. At least to me they are the best sounding. Go Mele. You won't go wrong.

200m??!! My biggest wish is to have my own house in Hawaii so that I could go for any GOOD ukulele stores there! Haha saw the tagline "Not all great Ukes are made in Hawaii" on their site. Between Mainlands Red Cedar Soprano & Mele Standard Mahogany Soprano, which one would you prefer? I haven't try any of those, though. *collecting vital ukulele data & feedback* Because the price range is quite similar. My other option would be the Bruko No.6, the flat one! Mele's official site also states that they're making the standard soprano based on earlier blueprints of Martin ukuleles (not the Mexican made version), so that would be good! :D Anyway, thanks!

and wish to buy one in future as soon as my academic loans are approved (yeah, I do allocates some for good ukuleles! :D)

On an unrelated note: be careful about taking out bigger student loans for discretionary expenses... I did a fair amount of that as a student and kind of regret it now... seems like those loans are NEVER going to be paid off... at least the interest rate is kinda low...

Top Bottom