Question For Northern CA Folks

sn75

Reaction score
Any recommendations for places that have a decent selection of ukuleles? Checked out Skip's Music (both Elk Grove and Sacramento locations) and Guitar Center. Their selections were ok. I'm curious if there are other places that I should check out (central or bay area, doesn't matter).

Welcome to UU!

Try Ukulele Source in San Jose and Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. Both are great!

In Oakland, Best Music Co. is a Kamaka dealer and they usually have some other ukes as well. In Berkeley, I like "The 5th String". Sometimes they have a ton and sometimes only a few. I guess it depends on where you catch them on their latest order.

Hope that helps.....where are you located? There are quite a few groups.

What's size are you looking for and what is your budget?

Kline Music across the street from Sac city college, has a decent amount of entry level Soprano and Concert size uke's with a few Tenors, Northridge Music Center on Greenback lane has Nalu Ukulele's (search for Nalu ukulele for his Ebay store) and Aloha Warehouse in SF has a lot of really nice Uke's like Kamaka, Pono, Kanile'a and Kala.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU!

Try Ukulele Source in San Jose and Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. Both are great!

In Oakland, Best Music Co. is a Kamaka dealer and they usually have some other ukes as well. In Berkeley, I like "The 5th String". Sometimes they have a ton and sometimes only a few. I guess it depends on where you catch them on their latest order.

Hope that helps.....where are you located? There are quite a few groups.

Here are a few links for you:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/

http://ukulelesource.com/

http://www.5thstringberkeley.com/

Gryphon Strings has some high end ukuleles (Kamaka, Compass Rose) and its lower end ukes are mostly Fleas and Flukes.

Ukulele Source probably has the widest selection. It sells Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a as well as Kala, Ohana, Lanikai
and others.

In San Francisco, The Aloha Warehouse in Japantown has a good ukulele selection, including Kamaka, Kanile'a, Kala and Ohana. There's also Guitar Solo, which has mostly guitars and a small selection of ukuleles.

Another option in the East Bay is Music Works in El Cerrito. It has a wide selection of Kala, Lanikai, as well as Fleas and Flukes, but not a lot of higher end ukuleles.

Good luck!

Here are a few links for you:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/

http://ukulelesource.com/

http://www.5thstringberkeley.com/

Gryphon Strings has some high end ukuleles (Kamaka, Compass Rose) and its lower end ukes are mostly Fleas and Flukes.

Ukulele Source probably has the widest selection. It sells Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a as well as Kala, Ohana, Lanikai
and others.

In San Francisco, The Aloha Warehouse in Japantown has a good ukulele selection, including Kamaka, Kanile'a, Kala and Ohana. There's also Guitar Solo, which has mostly guitars and a small selection of ukuleles.

Another option in the East Bay is Music Works in El Cerrito. It has a wide selection of Kala, Lanikai, as well as Fleas and Flukes, but not a lot of higher end ukuleles.

Good luck!

Ukulele Source also has a bunch of the Islander ukes by Kanilea.

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz has (had, a couple of weeks ago) Kamaka, Kanil'ea, Compass Rose, and National in in the "expensive" room, with Kala, Makala, Gold Tone, Mainland, and some others on the "cheap" wall.

If you go to the "expensive" room and decide to play any of Rick Turner's ukes, I do recommend you bring some kind of bib or napkin - you will drool.

-Kurt​

If you want to stay in Sacramento, I second (or is it third) Kline music near City College. They carry KoAloha, Kamaka, Kiwaya as well as Kala, Fender, and Lanikai. There are some uke enthusiasts on staff. The only downside is there tenor selection is usually a bit thin.

I am seriously considering a trip to Ukulele Source however, if I ever get around to purchasing a K brand tenor.

I am seriously considering a trip to Ukulele Source however, if I ever get around to purchasing a K brand tenor.

It is a small shop but they have a lot of stock! Call Smiley and Janet first to see if they have what you want as I know the tenors go fast, they are such kind people! If you want a certain tenor, ask Smiley to contact you when they get one in. I was looking for a certain uke and told him and he emailed me when they got their shipment.

The monthly email from Ukulele Source said they just got in a shipment of KoAlohas, including some pineapple Sundays and a Sceptre, but no tenors.(Isn't the Sceptre a tenor?) They also sell Nalus, Ohanas, Mainland, Kalas, and will soon be carrying G-string, (which I thought went out of business last year, but I guess not!)

Northridge is good. They have some really nice Nalus. You should also check out Nicholsons in Folsom. They have a wide selection, including banjo ukes. Pretty good prices.

Yes, check out Nicholson Music in Folsom. I'm the floor manager there and order all the ukes. Just started carrying Kanile'a. We also carry Martin, Kala, Lanikai, Cordoba, Kiwaya and many others... you can call me if you want more details (916) 983-0763. Ask for John!

Music works is down the street from me. They now carry Kamaka and currently have two tenors, one with pickup and one without, and a concert. Played all three and they are quite nice. They are also a Kiwaya dealer and have two great concerts in stock and some sopranos too. Also Honu, Big Island, and Loprinzi. Check them out if you can. Much better option than the 5th String in Berkeley IMO.

Oh and Best Music in Oakland does not stock Kamakas, but they can special order them for you. Also Noe Valley Music in SF is a Kamaka dealer and usually have sopranos and concerts in stock and they have a special relationship with Kamaka because they've been Kamaka dealers for a long time now. They do offer nice discounts on them. But do check out Gryphon too! Hope that helps!

Music works is down the street from me. They now carry Kamaka and currently have two tenors, one with pickup and one without, and a concert. Played all three and they are quite nice. They are also a Kiwaya dealer and have two great concerts in stock and some sopranos too. Also Honu, Big Island, and Loprinzi. Check them out if you can.

I haven't been to Music Works for a few months, but it appears that it's expanded its ukulele inventory. I've always seen a nice selection of Kalas, Lanikais and Fleas/Flukes there. It's nice to know one can now buy midrange and higher end ukuleles there as well. I bought my first ukulele (a Kala solid mahogany concert) at Music Works. the owner, Pudgy, not only let me play every ukulele in the place for three hours, he actually volunteered to play some for me, so i could hear how they sounded while standing in front of them.

I haven't been to Music Works for a few months, but it appears that it's expanded its ukulele inventory. I've always seen a nice selection of Kalas, Lanikais and Fleas/Flukes there. It's nice to know one can now buy midrange and higher end ukuleles there as well. I bought my first ukulele (a Kala solid mahogany concert) at Music Works. the owner, Pudgy, not only let me play every ukulele in the place for three hours, he actually volunteered to play some for me, so i could hear how they sounded while standing in front of them.

Yeah Dwayne (Pudgy) is cool like that. It's a nice laid back kinda shop. And a uke friendly one at that. They've been quite busy going to all the Uke festivals as of late.

Try Schoenburg's in Tiburon. They carry kamaka, Martin, Scot Wise from Australia and lower end ukes. Their store is in an old and small Victorian building. It's basically one room that has the most amazing sound. Nothing but ukes and lots of very expensive and old guitars. Like visiting a museum! http://www.om28.com/index.html

Last edited:
The Sceptre is technically a super concert, aka tenor-neck concert, for to body size.. same with the pineapple Sunday.

But oh, I love my Sceptre!

...... -Kurt

The monthly email from Ukulele Source said they just got in a shipment of KoAlohas, including some pineapple Sundays and a Sceptre, but no tenors.(Isn't the Sceptre a tenor?) They also sell Nalus, Ohanas, Mainland, Kalas, and will soon be carrying G-string, (which I thought went out of business last year, but I guess not!)

Top Bottom