The Great Ukulele Instrumental CHALLENGE: Kid Song Edition!

austin1

Reaction score
Hey All!

Welcome to our third installment of T.G.U.I.C, this time, of course, featuring children's songs! We decided to go with kid songs this time around because they tend to be really simple--they're great for beginners to pick out a melody on, but they can just as easily be jazzed up all fancy-like.

If you want a refresher course on what went down in our last two challenges, you can check out these threads:

First Challenge ("Yesterday"):
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Thread!!&highlight=great+ukulele+instrumental

Second Challenge ("Starry Starry Night"): http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...RESULTS!&highlight=great+ukulele+instrumental

So, once again, our goals and rules!

GOALS:

--Learn from others and how they approach figuring out songs
--Hear and see everyone's individual takes on the same song
--Learn to figure out songs by ear and through repetition
--Share tips, tricks, and techniques for arranging instrumentals
--Expand our musical horizons, improve, and have fun doing it

RULES:

--No singing allowed!
--All experience levels most welcome!
--Multitracks allowed
--Multiple people allowed in one video

Remember, this challenge is completely open-ended, and once the song is chosen, you have free rein to make it as simple or complicated as you like, in any key. The only thing you cannot do is sing!

For those new to the challenge, I'll break down how it works.

Step 1: In this thread, suggest songs you a) want to instrumentally arrange, or, if you're not participating, b) want to see other people instrumentally arrange.

Step 2: I'll compile all the song suggestions into a poll, and people can vote for their favorites.

Step 3: After a week of voting, I'll post the song choice, and then everyone has one month to arrange, record, and post their song to Youtube.

Step 4: At the end of the month, I'll form a results thread, where we can all share our videos, check out each other's work, and enjoy numerous interpretations of the same song!

That's about it! Feel free to hit us up with any comments or questions.

Thus I do declare the Third Installment of the Great Ukulele Instrumental CHALLENGE: Kid Song Edition! to be in session.

Hit us up in your responses with your song suggestions! We are looking for anything and everything children's song-like: nursery rhymes, lullabies, silly songs, clapping games...whatever! Suggest as many and as often as you want!

MARVELOUS LITTLE TOY - was on the album "Peter, Paul and Mommy" by Peter, Paul and Mary. Written by Tom Paxton titled: MARVELOUS TOY. A fun, delightful song that would present a challenge instrumentally, because the words that describe what it did: Zip, Pop and Whirrr would all have to be represented by a particular technique with the strings or the uke itself.

Not sure how to post a link to the You Tube video of this song, but worth checking it out. It's truly a delightful song.

i am working on the railroad.

When the train stops and you have a minute, suggest a kid's song. :)

MARVELOUS LITTLE TOY - was on the album "Peter, Paul and Mommy" by Peter, Paul and Mary. Written by Tom Paxton titled: MARVELOUS TOY. A fun, delightful song that would present a challenge instrumentally, because the words that describe what it did: Zip, Pop and Whirrr would all have to be represented by a particular technique with the strings or the uke itself.

Not sure how to post a link to the You Tube video of this song, but worth checking it out. It's truly a delightful song.

Here you go:

I like the songs that have been nominated already, but for the sake of having additional choices I nominate Teddy Bears' Picnic, which I think has great instrumental possibilities.

I'll put in my vote for "My Grandfather's Clock." One of my favorites.

Dan

"why does the sun shine" by TMBG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom