youtube monetised anyone have any knowledge?

raecarter

Reaction score
HI youtube have put a bit on my videos page inviting me to join their monetisation scheme. Does any one have any knowledge on this? I dont see how they want me to advertise on copyrighted covers but they invited me?

I've just been invited to join too. It doesn't allow you to use covers on the channel. I think you are chosen for the activity on the channel, so they are probably unaware that you have covers.
I've always planned to get some original stuff on a second channel along with non uke videos that would all be copyright free.
So. Should I take all the covers down, accept the invite and start putting up original material? Then make the second channel for my covers.
Or should I continue as is? What should I do?

I post videos for entertaining myself and my friends. I've ignored the YT invites, it's hard to articulate exactly why, but to me it's kind of like a stranger wanting to profit from your talent without giving a damn about you. And who knows what kind of advertisement they will post along with your music.

Same here. To me if you profit from cover tunes, someone will come after you eventually.
I declined even though the bulk of my tunes are non copyright.

I post videos for entertaining myself and my friends. I've ignored the YT invites, it's hard to articulate exactly why, but to me it's kind of like a stranger wanting to profit from your talent without giving a damn about you. And who knows what kind of advertisement they will post along with your music.
Some very good points there and I agree with them all. I love making videos and I love when people enjoy them. That was my reason for joining youtube. But...
When I found out you could make money on youtube I was quite happy to sell my soul to the internet. As I can't afford all the bills atm, I thought it might be a good way of bringing in some extra cash.
I've been working for the man for 20 years and I don't have much to show for my efforts. This I see as a way of at least getting something back. I don't mind if someone else is making money from me, as long as I am too.
This is why I thought about having a second channel as a place for copyright free stuff with the hopes of being invited. Now SmokeyStubbs has been invited, I don't know weather I should sell out that channel.

By all means get the Youtube "partner" account upgrade. After you become a monetizing member, it doesn't mean every video you post has to be copyright free.
When you upload, you have the option of choosing that particular vid to be monetized. If you don't choose that video to be monetized, then it'll just be the same as before.

I've been a Youtube partner for years now, and I've probably made a grand total of about $12.
And unless you're a viral superstar, it's not worth having annoying ads all over your vids just to share to a few people.

I've got £60 over two years. I do feel kinda 'dirty' for doing it though.

Looking at that, it looks like it takes a lot of views and clicks to make any money, and I'll never get enough views to make anything. Who was I kiddin'? Anyone got a plan C?

I've never monetized. But, I have gotten some gigs and students because of particular videos. I've started to involve some of my students in videos as well. Does that work as a plan C?

Top Bottom