Kanilea Islander Mahogany Soprano (MS-4)

arrScott

Reaction score
I was in Maui for most of the month, and took the chance to visit pretty much every uke shop & workshop I could find. Kind of hoping to find a suitable souvenir uke, but mostly because there just aren't that many ukes in stores here in Virginia, and this was my first real chance to have many dozens of different makes & models at hand to sample and get a feel for differences in sound. One thing that surprised me is how little I liked the sound of almost all sopranos I tried. Even the highest-end of high-end, Hawaii-made ukes just didn't sound very good to me. (Except the Koaloha soprano I tried at Bounty, which oh-my-god, but was out of my price range this time.) Perhaps I'm just too accustomed to the sounds of my own pair of concerts?

Then, in a little not-really-a-uke-shop place that mostly stocked a good range of Lanikai, I pulled a really attractive little uke off the wall and played it, solely because it was the only uke in the joint I hadn't sampled yet, and I was blown away. Almost as delightful a sound as the Koaloha. Only instead of like $700, it was like $100. An Islander by Kanilea, their new entry-level line of ukes. It's all mahogany, with rosewood fretboard, and mine is the version (MS-4) with no decorative inlay or trim. Just all wood, and with a pitted, ever-so-slightly-satin finish, it looks like an antique. Finish gives the wood a luster that's more koa-like than any mahogany instrument I've seen.

Pegged bridge and open-gear tuners. Comes with Aquila strings from the factory. Visually, the Islander name and logo on the headstock are well designed, but applied as a white decal rather than etched, which is the only thing about it that feels cheap.

Loud, bright sound, lacking the AM-radio tinniness I was finding on so many of the sopranos I sampled. "Robust" is the word that kept coming to mind, both in the store and once I got back to the condo and started playing every afternoon. Now that I'm home, it still sounds great next to my concert Flea and concert red cedar Mainland.

The only real marks I have to offer against come from the fret board itself. The C string produces a consistently high note on the first, second, and third frets, before settling into a perfectly tuned E on the fourth fret. It stays in tune the rest of the way down the fretboard. If I tune to a perfect C on my chromatic tuner, the first three frets consistently peg the needle at the +20 mark on those notes, and it's just enough that you can hear it on chords like D and G.

But, for what it is, a very inexpensive, otherwise very robust and attractive instrument meant for only occasional playing, I can't speak highly enough of the new Islander line. Just noodling around with it in the shop while waiting for my wife to get done with her shopping and see if she liked the sound of it as much as I did, an Australian tourist who walked in was persuaded to buy one for his guitar-playing son as a souvenir of their cruise to Hawaii.

The MS-4 is a laminate is it not? ....with the MSS-4 being solid mahogany?

I was pretty sure mine (MS-4) is laminate. Grain on the inside of the back doesn't appear to match the grain on the outside. Your thoughts about model numbers make sense. Haven't had time to visit the Kanilea site to look up details of the Islander line yet.

Just received my Islander MSS-4 and it is terriffic

I had ordered the MS-4 only to learn that it was a laminate. Sounded great but I wanted Solid wood so I exchanged it for the MSS-4, solid mahogany. A month ago I purchased a Kala Concert travel Ukulele and thought I got the best of the best at that price. Just after the purchase, I attended a slack key guitar festival on Oahu and Kanile'a Ukulele was there with a booth. I tried all of their ukulele's and they were wonderful but the most surprising thing was that they had this "Islander" series at incredibly low prices as compared to the others. Now, don't get me wrong, an $89 Islander does not sound like a $900 Kanilea's but relatively speaking, it is no slouch, either. It was far superior to the Kala Travel Concert. so I got the $200 MSS-4.

In speaking with the Souza's of Kanile'a about the Islander, they talked about the care they put into making sure that the product was as close to Kanile'a standards as possible, even with it being a production Ukulele. I purchased one and am glad that I did. it now completes my line-up of a Kamaka Lili'u, Koa Pili Koko Tenor, Kala Concert travel, and now, the Islander Soprano. All in a three week period. Hopefully, I can abandon the ukulele acquisition syndrome that I have recently developed.

Congratulations!! Any chance to hear a sound clip? Very curious to hear the Islander uke.

I recently bought the MT-4 which is the tenor version. I'd have to agree with everything you just said because it sounds superb! Will be posting a review shortly.

Did you do the mt-4 review yet? Really interested in these but no one has them right now in Oahu. Even called Joe Sousa and they said wait another 3 weeks. I am anxious to know your take on it.

Is this the genreal consensus then. That the Islander is much better than the equivalent Kala? These are the two I have been looking at the most in this price range.

I've not been able to try out an Islander, but I would wager that the simple fact that Kanile'a is behind it gives the Islander a substantial edge. The premier Hawai'ian makers wouldn't sacrifice their names on some cheap, poorly made ukes just to turn a couple of quick bucks. All of the K companies (and, in fact, all of the Hawai'ian hand-made uke builders) value their reputations and understand that chasing the fast dollar off the cheapos isn't worth the long-term damage if those ukes suck.

I don't mean this as a slam on Kala (of the other Big Volume builders), because they make good ukes at an accessible price. But they are who they are, while the Hawai'ians are who they are. And there is a difference.

I just got an Islander MSS-4 and the A string makes a odd ringing noise. Not sure if this is considered a "buzz". It only does it when fingering the string while playing cords. I have a "cheap" Lanikai and it sounds much better. Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions?
I had ordered the MS-4 only to learn that it was a laminate. Sounded great but I wanted Solid wood so I exchanged it for the MSS-4, solid mahogany. A month ago I purchased a Kala Concert travel Ukulele and thought I got the best of the best at that price. Just after the purchase, I attended a slack key guitar festival on Oahu and Kanile'a Ukulele was there with a booth. I tried all of their ukulele's and they were wonderful but the most surprising thing was that they had this "Islander" series at incredibly low prices as compared to the others. Now, don't get me wrong, an $89 Islander does not sound like a $900 Kanilea's but relatively speaking, it is no slouch, either. It was far superior to the Kala Travel Concert. so I got the $200 MSS-4.

In speaking with the Souza's of Kanile'a about the Islander, they talked about the care they put into making sure that the product was as close to Kanile'a standards as possible, even with it being a production Ukulele. I purchased one and am glad that I did. it now completes my line-up of a Kamaka Lili'u, Koa Pili Koko Tenor, Kala Concert travel, and now, the Islander Soprano. All in a three week period. Hopefully, I can abandon the ukulele acquisition syndrome that I have recently developed.

I just got an Islander MSS-4 and the A string makes a odd ringing noise. Not sure if this is considered a "buzz". It only does it when fingering the string while playing cords. I have a "cheap" Lanikai and it sounds much better. Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Sounds like a production issue. These ukes are cheap because they are mass produced, so it's likely that some problem ukes may make it out. I'd contact the dealer, or Kanilea.

I've not been able to try out an Islander, but I would wager that the simple fact that Kanile'a is behind it gives the Islander a substantial edge. The premier Hawai'ian makers wouldn't sacrifice their names on some cheap, poorly made ukes just to turn a couple of quick bucks. All of the K companies (and, in fact, all of the Hawai'ian hand-made uke builders) value their reputations and understand that chasing the fast dollar off the cheapos isn't worth the long-term damage if those ukes suck.

I don't mean this as a slam on Kala (of the other Big Volume builders), because they make good ukes at an accessible price. But they are who they are, while the Hawai'ians are who they are. And there is a difference.

I agree with you. I know that there was a reason that Koaloha stopped making the koalana models. They started out strong then the quality went down then Koaloha stopped making them (at least that is what I was told).

I just got an Islander MSS-4 and the A string makes a odd ringing noise.
Sounds like a production issue. These ukes are cheap because they are mass produced, so it's likely that some problem ukes may make it out. I'd contact the dealer, or Kanilea.

I agree with Gadzukes. I think the Kanile'a website points you to the authorized dealer first.

Top Bottom