Gift ideas for a working musician?

Jon Moody

Reaction score
I searched, I really did. But nothing came up for gifts.

Anyway, my family says I'm way too hard to get gifts for, mainly because with my gigging income, anything I need I just get (easy write-offs). My wife has just stopped even trying to surprise me and just says "Tell me what you want, it's easier."

But this year for Christmas (yeah, my family plans way ahead), they want some ideas. I had already thought of a couple more Snark tuners (I'm lazy, and would like a tuner with each uke), some strings, etc..

Any other ideas that would fall under the heading of "related to the uke, but I could use live?"

How about a build-it-yourself uke kit? I think that would be cool. And even if it sounds like crap you did it yourself.

deluxe case, or carbon fiber carrying case/bag....

a really nice, sturdy, packable music stand - I like the Hercules ones myself but I know there are a lot to choose from

Nix

a really nice, sturdy, packable music stand - I like the Hercules ones myself but I know there are a lot to choose from

Nix

That's a great idea... And one my mom did last year. They got me a conductor's sized folding stand to hold a bunch of things.

The "build a uke" kit has a lot of promise. Since my wife and I moved into our house, I've built a microwave stand/wine cabinet, headboard and matching nightstands for our bed. So, it wouldn't be something out of my comfort range.

I would love to be able to get anything I want with my gigging income-that is rad (I need a gigging income), but I would say that if they really want to get you something, I would say that if you enjoy making stuff in your free time- it might be time to move away from music and let them get you some cool tools.
I am a lousy musician who shares his home with about 45 instruments...I get the coolest tools from my parents and family because I tell them "nothing music related- I just buy that".

I would love to be able to get anything I want with my gigging income-that is rad (I need a gigging income), but I would say that if they really want to get you something, I would say that if you enjoy making stuff in your free time- it might be time to move away from music and let them get you some cool tools.

I have a bunch of standard tools (when your dad is a wood-worker, you get all the hand-me-downs so he can get new ones), but maybe some related to setups and guitar repair would be a good idea.

I know one gift every musician loves: cash. Or a gift certificate to a favorite music shop.

Cash is a possibility, but my folks like handing out gifts instead; cash seems impersonal. Plus, with my endorsements, shopping at a music store is usually very hard, but also more expensive than calling up the Artist Rep and saying "Hey, what's my price for ______?"

Money! Lots of it!

Sounds like they would be better of getting you something not related to music at all... My family pretty much knows not to buy me anything "musicky" or "computery" because if it's something I want I've probably already got it and if it's not something I want I don't have time for it. LOL

John

Sounds like they would be better of getting you something not related to music at all... My family pretty much knows not to buy me anything "musicky" or "computery" because if it's something I want I've probably already got it and if it's not something I want I don't have time for it. LOL
That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. If I need it or want it, I've probably already got it.

Some years ago my MIL was dying of cancer and wanted to come home from the hospital for Christmas. (They lived downstairs, we lived upstairs.) Christmas morning we were awakened by an ambulance that came to take her away. She never came home again and died a few weeks later. That put a real damper on the Christmas spirit for my husband and FIL and we basically stopped celebrating. Just told everyone we no longer wished to participate in exchanging gifts.

What a load that lifted! I've always hated the commercialization of Christmas and the barrage of ads telling you to spend, spend, spend even if you can't afford it.

I would rather buy a couple toys for a local toy drive, knowing that it was going to an underprivileged kid.

I searched, I really did. But nothing came up for gifts.

Anyway, my family says I'm way too hard to get gifts for, mainly because with my gigging income, anything I need I just get (easy write-offs). My wife has just stopped even trying to surprise me and just says "Tell me what you want, it's easier."

But this year for Christmas (yeah, my family plans way ahead), they want some ideas. I had already thought of a couple more Snark tuners (I'm lazy, and would like a tuner with each uke), some strings, etc..

Any other ideas that would fall under the heading of "related to the uke, but I could use live?"

Okay, I know I may come off as being a complete a-hole here, but are you seriously asking us to think of a gift for you? How about you just tell them what you want. Uke-related or not. Do you want a remote control helicopter, or maybe a new external 500GB drive? How about that cool shirt, or even an indestructable flashlight?

Seriously, find out what you want. As a musician you realize there are only so many little trinkets and accessories you can have. Shoot, just ask for a dozen packs of strings!

Anyway, I apologize for the a-holiness of this reply, but this whole thread just made me do a double-take.

Totally agree with John and itsme re the music gear...

I'd be asking for a music related book. Preferably a biography or autobiography...I've read some doozies over the last couple of years...on Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash, Al Green etc. All wonderful reads and a real window to the soul of these musicians. Also, there is a work by Vikram Seth called 'An Equal Music' which is perhaps the best music-themed novel ever written. An utterly intense emotional experience to read and immerse yourself in the lives of those characters. Highly recommended.

Now if it was ME...he he...I would ask for some Peanuts comics, a bean bag, a pot plant or a new table tennis bat...but I'm a geek :eek:

Bar Tab at the regular gig! (too much to ask?)

Last edited:
Totally agree with John and itsme re the music gear...

I'd be asking for a music related book. Preferably a biography or autobiography...I've read some doozies over the last couple of years...on Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash, Al Green etc. All wonderful reads and a real window to the soul of these musicians. Also, there is a work by Vikram Seth called 'An Equal Music' which is perhaps the best music-themed novel ever written. An utterly intense emotional experience to read and immerse yourself in the lives of those characters. Highly recommended.

Now if it was ME...he he...I would ask for some Peanuts comics, a bean bag, a pot plant or a new table tennis bat...but I'm a geek :eek:

POT PLANT??? Makes the comics funnier?? LOL

PoiDog, the original question was that, given that I've only picked up the uke in February (despite the amount of times I've gigged with it), if there are any of you more seasoned folk that may have that "Hey, this will come in handy" suggestion as something I could use as a gift idea for my folks, I'd appreciate it. If it didn't come across that way, that's my fault.

No need to apologize on the response but frankly, if I had any inkling of what I want or need, do you honestly think I'd even post a thread about it?

Eugene, I do like the idea of a music-related book. I have a bunch of the old blues guys from the Chess era bios, and you're right; it's kind of amazing what some of them went through. If you can find "I Can't Get Started" which is a Muddy Waters bio, pick it up. VERY interesting about how he helped build Chess' artist pool. The Sun Records history is also a very good read, and has opened my eyes/ears in terms of recording.

Dirk, you may be onto something... :)

Tell them you have everything you need so why not give to charity on your behalf.
Maybe support an intruments for under privilaged kids foundation.

How about:

• A Pandora One subscription
  • An XM radio subscription (with an XM radio, natch)
  • An iPod
  • Really good earbuds or headphones
  • Recording stuff (mics, audio interface, software, monitors, etc.)
  • Instructional books/DVDs
  • Lessons from a private teacher or local university instructor (doesn't have to be a uke teacher... a lesson or two with a classical or flamenco guitarist would be brilliant, as would any keyboard/theory lesson)
  • Tickets to an upcoming concert you want to see
  • Tickets/subscription to the local symphony, ballet, chamber music ensemble, or other thing you might not buy for yourself but would go to for the heck of it if it were a present
  • Plane tickets and/or hotel room in some cool city with lots of music going on that you'd like to visit, or with an upcoming uke fest (NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Nashville, SF, Hawaii!)
  • Dance lessons (not kidding... these can do a musician a lot of good)
  • Some bit of autographed memorabilia or other collectible from a musician/band you admire
  • Movie tickets you can give to everyone else in the house so they'll leave you alone to practice all evening :)

JJ

How about a zoom recorder to capture your gigs and archive or share? Get the H4 and you have a 4 track. Although you may already have something like this. How about cash deposits toward a custom uke?

Top Bottom