Ukulele addiction?

Jonah71181

Reaction score
I'm finding it quite hard not to obsess about this instrument.

I've played piano for 20years and got a classical degree in music. Having the theory background is helpful but learning to fit my fingers on a fret board is tough!

The UKE is my first string instrument. I stumbled upon it in a music store when looking for small instruments to take backpacking. After the store clerk played a few wild chord progressions I was sold. Now I have a harmonica, egg shaker, tambourine, and bells that go with me.

I am in the middle of deciding between a better beginner uke (have Makala Dolphin now) that can accompany me into the wild. I am waiting for a concert FLEA and a Kala Travel Soprano to arrive by mail and will decide which to return. I do have big hands so I'm leaning towards the FLEA.

Aldrine's UKE University videos are unbelievably awesome, step by step and super informative. I am looking forward learning lots!

I signed up for a 8 week beginner course at a local community college and also plan to take advantage of the UU tour to Seattle.

I'll be on this site far too often :)

Welcome to UU! You fit right in.

–Lori

Welcome to the UU. Glad to hear you are enjoying your uke. Agreed, Aldrine's videos are great.

All UUers going to Dusty Strings to see Aldrine... identify yourselves!

I plan on being there to meet and greet all of you, and to enjoy Aldrine, of course.

I hope we have a good UU turnout!

meanwhile, keep uke'in',

Welcome! Lots of envious ukers that you have those lessons available. Good luck

A severe case of UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) already! Well done! You are a mini orchestra in one! Do you have any Youtube vids performing?

Enjoy your travels - you'll be the centre of attention, I reckon!! :D

Roberta

There is no such thing as ukulele addiction. I've been plain for almost one andca half years now, and still own fewer than twenty ukes.

All UUers going to Dusty Strings to see Aldrine... identify yourselves!

I plan on being there to meet and greet all of you, and to enjoy Aldrine, of course.

I hope we have a good UU turnout!

meanwhile, keep uke'in',

Cool, I signed up for both workshops. I'll see you there.

A severe case of UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome) already! Well done! You are a mini orchestra in one! Do you have any Youtube vids performing?

Not on the uke. With all that's out there I should post something unique, this will take time, but I have ideas!

Hello Jonah, im new on here to, and thought i was the only one with a obsession :) i only took the uke up in january, and i play/learn every day i even dream about ukes in my sleep now, i think my dear wife is getting worried :0 im even having a uke inspired tattoo next year. I have three ukes already, i have a ohana tk10, a kala solid acacia pocket uke (im struggling with this, due to my sausage fingers) and a mahalo stretocastwer styled soprano, i really want to get a solid koa uke in the future.
I would of thought your fingers would be nice and slender and supple after piano playing, have you considered a soprano or concert uke with a tenor kneck , hence giving you a largwer fretboard, anyway great to meet a fellow newbie all the best ukuleleDaveey :)

I also give credit to backpacking for my renewed interest in the uke. I've taken a Dolphin, a Flea, a Fluke, and also my Kamaka soprano backpacking.

On my most recent trip to Yosemite, someone on the trail noticed my Dolphin and asked if I was the one who had been playing the previous night at Sunrise Lake. I fessed up, halfway expecting a rebuke for disturbing the peace, but she complimented my playing, and said at first she thought she it was a piano. I told her I usually leave my piano at home. :)

Welcome to the UU :D

Great place, fun people and LOADS of info. I recently was gifted a poiple flea and love it :D Great uke and virtually indestructible!

Settle in and make yourself at home!

Get :music:

Joey

I also give credit to backpacking for my renewed interest in the uke. I've taken a Dolphin, a Flea, a Fluke, and also my Kamaka soprano backpacking.

On my most recent trip to Yosemite, someone on the trail noticed my Dolphin and asked if I was the one who had been playing the previous night at Sunrise Lake. I fessed up, halfway expecting a rebuke for disturbing the peace, but she complimented my playing, and said at first she thought she it was a piano. I told her I usually leave my piano at home. :)

My wife is worried for me disturbing the peace others might be looking for in the outdoors...but I usually find solitude in the wild.

I bringing my uke to mountain tops, cliff faces, lonely islands, and anywhere else I can find inspiration!
IMG_1520.jpg
here I am with my Dolphin on the Grand Teton, Wyoming

My wife is worried for me disturbing the peace others might be looking for in the outdoors...but I usually find solitude in the wild.

I bringing my uke to mountain tops, cliff faces, lonely islands, and anywhere else I can find inspiration!
View attachment 28583
here I am with my Dolphin on the Grand Teton, Wyoming

Nice shot. Playing in the wilderness is not quite the same as playing on a crowded plane, as mentioned in another recent thread, but if someone did object, I would probably not play, or at least tone it down.

As long as we're sharing pics, here's one I've posted before of me and my fluke in the Wallowa Mountains in NE Oregon.

Fluke-mtns.jpg

Top Bottom