String Stupidity

freackykit

Reaction score
I must confess to suffering a bit of Koaloha angst over the last few months!

When I first got my Koaloha tenor it sang like a beauty! Of course the factory default action was a bit high so I had a go at the bridge, and very gradually over time found the action that suited...Aprox a medium action according to you guys...

However over time the uke sounded duller and duller...what have I done or don't i like koa anymore as a soundwood!

Well today I took the task in hand, tried a spair set of Aquilas, then eventually when that didn't suit changed the strings to a new set of Worth Clears and guess what...?

Yep my uke returned!!!

Moral of the story...Change your strings occasionally!

Idiot!

Chris

P.S. Any advice on how often to change strings would be appreciated lol

P.S. Any advice on how often to change strings would be appreciated lol

You have a great uke with a value in the $1000 neighborhood, don't skimp spring for a $10 set of strings every few months.
I go between 3 & 6 months depending on the play time. When the strings are not holding tune it is time.

You have a great uke with a value in the $1000 neighborhood, don't skimp spring for a $10 set of strings every few months.

Thanks for that response...kinda puts it in perspective doesn't it. I must admit I wasn't half as kind in words to myself but that is another story!

As often as needed or every few months seems to sum it up...as soon as the tone deadens I imagine...

Thanks for reading and answering both,

Chris

Cut yourself some slack--maybe we all have to go through this once. I don't have a discerning ear, so it took quite a while for me to realize that my Kala KA-T was sounding decidedly dull and flat. By the time I ordered replacement Aquilas and got up the courage to install them, the old strings were incredibly dead. The new strings sounded like bells by comparison! The good news is, I'll know better next time. And so will you!

I buy all of my strings from Elderly as well. I find that buying a couple sets at a time saves a bit on the shipping as opposed to buying one set and having it almost double in its tiny price.

Hawaii Music Supply and Uke Republic both ship one set of strings in the states for a buck. I'm assuming your Sheffield's across the pond. Might want to check with them for shipping rates. Different good strings avaiable from both shops, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom