Setting up banjo uke

tiplady

Reaction score
I just bought a 1930s g.h& s banjo uke off e bay and I am having problems setting it up,for some reason someone in the past took the neck off and screwed it back on in a different position,I moved it back to the origional position but the action is a bit high also the vellum is uneven as it cant be tightened right down as it touches the neck I have got it as tight as it can go but the notes dont have any sustain and it sounds a bit duff.Has any body got one of these ukes they were made in the UK.

I suppose you should go ahead and change the vellum, and then sand down the bridge to your liking until the action is where you want it to be. I would recommend a bridge with two feet. If the action is high at the nut, I would recommend finding a luthier to file it for you if you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself.

The Bridge

I have a Banjo Uke from the '40s in the US. Just back from Luthier at some expense, the action was formerly unplayable, he unscrewed and recarved the neck to fit properly on the body and cleaned the rusty tuners. Kept the original calfskin after tightening and adjusted the Grover bridge which is one piece across the bottom for the best transfer of sound to the drum body giving it the happy tone that is so endearing.

Top Bottom