Cigar-box help?

Shoepixie

Reaction score
Hi! My name's Shoe, I've been playing for a bit. I am a total newbie when it comes to making instruments, but very enthused about the idea.

TL;DR: I have a project in mind that involves turning a damaged uke of mine into a cigar box uke, recycling all but the body. I'm looking for someone (hopefully local!) who has some experience to help me out.

This is a bit of an odd post - I have never *made* a cigar box uke, but I've loved them for a good while, and always wanted to make one. I have a tenor Lanakai acoustic/electric, loved it. The uke-hanger on my wall tilted, and it fell! The crack along the bottom isn't bad, but I don' have the know-how or the tools to fix it. The pickup still works, and besides the bottom being cracked, it's still a really nice uke.

If anyone does know how to fix it, that would be awesome - however, I had another idea.

My *hope* is that I can use the neck, etc. from my tenor Lanakai, and with a cigar box make a new uke out of this damaged one. Only thing is, I don't have the tools or the know-how for *that*, either. I'd be willing to pay a little bit for this, but I'm super poor, and since I'm providing all the parts, I was hoping I could find someone to help me for not much money. I am currently in Southern Wisconsin, so anyone as far as Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago....I am totally willing to be an assistant, if you live close enough - I'd love to learn as much as I can.

Last edited:
Could you post a pic of the damage? It would be a shame to chop a nice uke up if it could be repaired.

Sure can!

I am pretty sure it can be repaired, but I don't have the tools...or the money to pay a good luthier. It's a pretty uke, cost about $190. It's a laminate, but I still loved it. My plan was to turn into a CBU and get a cordoba tenor to replace it...but if it could be repaired...

100_3204.jpg 100_3207.jpg 100_3209.jpg 100_3212.jpg 100_3213.jpg

Last edited:
Cigar box help

To make this work for a cigar box uke, you are going to need a cigar box at least as long as the body of the damaged uke because the neck is made and needs to join the body the same as the tenor. Unless you have some skills and knowledge of tools I would suggest you not tackle this project. Making a quality cigar box uke takes as much skill as any other uke. The damaged laminated uke is going to cost more to repair than it is worth in my opinion. Being made of ply woods, damaged bindings and black poly finish make this a job from hell and I would not do it if it came into my shop. Sorry to be so blunt but some times the truth is best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom