PDA

View Full Version : Easy Music Theory for the ukulele...

mm stan
09-28-2011, 02:19 AM
A simplified breakdown ....well I think:) check it out...
http://www.thecipher.com/ukulele_chord-progressions.html

Mandarb
09-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Welcome back Stan!

Trinimon
09-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Mahalo Stan. Welcome back indeed.

seeso
09-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Welcome back, Stan! You've been missed.

Pukulele Pete
09-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Hey ,.......Mystery Man , glad to see you're back .

Dougf
09-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Nice link, MM, glad to see you're back!

PoiDog
09-28-2011, 04:20 AM
I like the way you came back ... no flashy announcements or anything, just a post. Well done.

And glad to see you're feeling better, brah.

mm stan
09-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Aloha Gang,
Mahalo Nui for all the kind words, Get well wishes, and support dealing with my illness and the welcome back, it certainly has been a rough one.....I am getting better but definetely not out the woods as of yet...I appriciate it very much and it means alot to me... Happy Strummings...MM Stan
Here's a cool song by Kui Lee...
Days Of My Youth

Used to (G)fly like (em)birds, on the(am)wings of the (D7)wind
I have(G)played un the (em)sun, with a (am)joy deep(D7)within
I had(G)laughter as a (G7) toy, and a(cmaj7)sweet for my(cm)tooth
In the(G)beautiful(D7)of my(G)youth(D7)

Everyone(G)that I had (em)met was a (am)friend, not a (D7)foe
The (G)fears that I have(em)learned way back (am)then I didn't (D7)know
Not one(G) deed meant(G7)unkind or (Cmaj7)one thought (Cm)uncooth
In the (G) beautiful (D7) days of my (G)youth

Uke Republic
09-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Glad your on the mend. Aloha Stan!!!

SuzukHammer
09-28-2011, 07:28 AM
I was so glad to see mmstan has posted. I was wondering what happened.

Ron
09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Hey, it's Stan! Look, everyone, Stan's back! Hi ya, Stan.

Nickie
09-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi Stan! Welcome back and thanks for the post. I'm trying to print it out and take it to work with me. I usually take my uke (Love my job) with me, but sometimes I am not in the right atmosphere to play, so I get it out and do finger exercises, and I will read this tonight!

mds725
09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey Stan,

Great to see you in the forum again! I hope you're feeling lots better!

Thanks for the link!

Mark

PhilUSAFRet
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Welcome back Stan, hope you are well. You were missed. thanks for the link

bdukes
09-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Welcome back! Keep getting better.

southcoastukes
09-28-2011, 11:08 AM
stan the man!!

808boy
09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Aloha Bruddah,
Just happy you're okay enough to post. Don't forget our meeting next month, keep getting better...okay Brah?...................BO..................

joeybug
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
YAY!!! Stan's back :D *does a little dance* So glad to see you're feeling well enough to be on here and hopefully back to playing your Ukes!

Thanks for the link, my friend and I'll phone you Saturday as planned :D

Pueo
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
So happy to see a post from you Stan!

ADD
09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah. Stan is back. Glad you are feeling well enough to post again, Stan. Stay on the mend.

ksiegel
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Aloha, Stan! Welcome back, and please accept a bunch of virtual hugs!

But really... you call that Easy Music Theory?? The only part that didn't leave me slack-jawed and drooling was the part about logically numbering the strings, with the 1st string being closest to your chin, and the last being closest to the floor - That's how I've done it with guitar and banjo for more than 40 years, and how I think of it on the ukulele.

Of course, you didn't see Fitncrafty force me to try and read ukulele tab, either... She went into FULL Mom Mode (You WILL do this! I know you CAN!), and my wife was laughing! That was as close to music theory as I have knowingly gotten... Although Jim D'Ville did get me thinking in terms of I-IV-V patterns, instead of C-F-G.

But that's all beside the point - Welcome Back!!!!

.... -Kurt

jackwhale
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
ksiegel: One question:
I just printed the link but I'm at work and won't be able to read it until I get home tonight. Does the article call the high string on a ukulele the 4th string? (I'll have my answer tonight)
Every book or teacher seems to call the high string, the first string, and the lower tuned strings are numbered 2-4 accordingly. String packages are labeled this way also. First string toward the floor and fourth string toward the chin.

ksiegel
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
ksiegel: One question:
I just printed the link but I'm at work and won't be able to read it until I get home tonight. Does the article call the high string on a ukulele the 4th string? (I'll have my answer tonight)
Every book or teacher seems to call the high string, the first string, and the lower tuned strings are numbered 2-4 accordingly. String packages are labeled this way also. First string toward the floor and fourth string toward the chin.

The article states that the traditional method is to call the string tuned the highest the 1st string, etc. Therefore 1-A, 2-E, 3-C, 4-G (g). The author's method is reversed, and is the way I always counted strings - on a downstroke, the first string I encountered was the first string. That's how I taught myself to play guitar when I was 12-13 years old, and that's the way I think of it now.

It makes perfect sense. After all, it ain't "Fleas has Dog My", is it?

-Kurt

Nickie
10-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Well, I read the whole thing, from A to Z. I am clueless. 'Course I am music theory naive... I really felt dumb.

Coconut Willie
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Aloha Stan...man it's GREAT to see you getting back, keep getting better and better!!!