Steel C String

j312311

Reaction score
Wound C String

I saw a couple of ukes on ebay with a steel C string. I was wondering what it does to the sound and if it sounds any good. And if it does, do they work with concert sized ukes or only tenors? Where could i find some?

Last edited:
Actually a wound c can be used on any size ukulele....I have seen them packaged for a soprano and tenor but for some reason concerts are never packaged in wound c sets although i have strung concerts with wound c's before. It is just a matter of sound preference plain or wound as they each produced a different tonality to the overall tone of the ukulele and what you want to empahsize in your sound

Thanks for the replies, do the wound strings add a lower sound or just a different one? And where can i find them?

different, not lower, i think
IMHO i dont like the wound strings

steel

i have a steel string on my lanikai
i think it sound pretty good but hard to slide with

It doesn't sound lower; it sounds deeper--more bass, if you will.

I have a wound c string on my ukulele. It does have a different sound... but my biggest issue with it... is sliding on it.. it makes that... sound... I prefer a smooth non-wound string to it.

I'm thinking it's about personal preference here. I had a wound C on my tenor. To me it sounded about the same but it sounded about the same for a longer time. The extra weight of the winding made it sustain longer. I restrung with a non wound string and now prefer the sound. What I prefer may not be what you prefer though.

Top Bottom