Taylor Ukulele - Who would buy one?

UkePA

Reaction score
I heard today that Taylor is supposed to release a uke by Christmas. Not sure if it's true, but we'll see.

If they build one, who would buy one? I am a Taylor Guitars fan. I always said that I would buy one if they made it. Taylor Swift has been playing one on tour recently.

I hope that they don't over-price it though. If it's around $1000, I doubt that many will sell. For that money, you can get a really nice uke from a uke builder.

Just my thoughts.

Erik

I'd love to play one. Buy one? My UAS has (thankfully) subsided lately. But if I played one, and if it was amazing, and if I'd been saving up for a while, and if it ended up being the most appealing ukulele to me at the time, then sure, I'd buy one. Mmm, that's four ifs. Maybe I won't buy one. Darn it.

I'd like to hear it. Building a great guitar (which they do) does not mean they will build a great uke. But Bob T. is pretty tenacious so I suspect it will be pretty nice. I think the danger is that it might be too guitarish in sound. The uke is a different animal and needs to be treated as such. At least that is my worthless opinion. :eek:

I think this is very exciting news! I love Taylor guitars, and would love to try it. I hope it's not really expensive. They're able to make their Big Baby and Baby Taylors for a reasonable price and they sound great. Of course, they're laminate. So, I will be curious to see what it's like! I hope the local Taylor dealer carries it! :)

Another 'ukulele maker isn't a bad thing. Another cheap, or overpriced, or overhyped, or predatory 'ukulele maker is another entirely.

If Taylor is dedicated to making quality 'ukuleles, then how can anyone be upset? If they turn out to just be trying to capitalize on a "fad" by charging way more for a laminate cheapo because of the Taylor name, then that's another thing.

But until they're out, it really isn't a problem, right?

Over the years I have owned a dozen Taylor guitars (down to one now), and Bob has never tackled an instrument without building a good one. Anxious to see what he produces.

Spoke with my Taylor rep about this about a year ago. When he mentioned that Taylor was working on a ukulele, I asked if they were just jumping on the ukulele bandwagon as it's become so popular. He said they've been working on one for quite awhile and Bob keeps refining the build. He also keeps getting pulled away from the uke with other products (such as the GS Mini). If what he's saying is true, Bob already has a few prototypes but has been working on it quite a bit to make sure it's worthy of the Taylor name. I love Taylor guitars so I'm pretty sure a Taylor ukulele will end up in my collection.

Spoke with my Taylor rep about this about a year ago. When he mentioned that Taylor was working on a ukulele, I asked if they were just jumping on the ukulele bandwagon as it's become so popular. He said they've been working on one for quite awhile and Bob keeps refining the build. He also keeps getting pulled away from the uke with other products (such as the GS Mini). If what he's saying is true, Bob already has a few prototypes but has been working on it quite a bit to make sure it's worthy of the Taylor name. I love Taylor guitars so I'm pretty sure a Taylor ukulele will end up in my collection.
Nice. I'm looking forward to hearing some of your excellent playing on a Taylor ukulele.

I'm curious to see what they come up with but I don't think I'd get one, never been too impressed with their guitars. They do serve a great purpose when playing live though so maybe their uke will have a nice pickup system?

A nice pickup system would be huge. But honestly, I've never been super stoked with what I've heard of the "expression system". Hopefully they spin the concept a bit if they are producing an 'ukulele. I bet it looks awesome.

I can't wait to see what they come up with for a uke. IMO Taylor makes the nicest production guitar around and Bob Taylor is an innovator in the field.

I can't wait to see what they come up with for a uke. IMO Taylor makes the nicest production guitar around and Bob Taylor is an innovator in the field.

Agreed on both counts. I have two from the mid 90's and they were the best bang for the buck of any that I own. The expression systems I have heard have been very impressive. I think they use a transducer under the fingerboard as well as a saddle pickup.

I love my Taylor guitar, I would think their Uke would continue their high standards of excellence and be an instrument of beauty and tone. Count me in, hopefully it won't break the bank.

Don't see why a Taylor Baby with a tenor uke neck would be too expensive.

I love my Taylor guitar but I'd have to have hands on a Taylor uke and play it enough to discover all its features and foibles before I would buy one, I think. No disrespect to Taylor at all, I just see no reason to go to a guitar builder for a uke until the guitar builder has built a deserved reputation within the uke community.

John

I suspect this is the Taylor Tenor that Taylor Swift has been playing in concert, since the performance is just a few weeks old.

If it is,.....neat soundhole design! Certainly don't need a headstock label with that unusual soundhole.

It looks to me like it was over $1000,.....based on US labor costs, and the trim level. The back has a lot of sapwood on it, which you can see as the stage is revolving.

Not sure she has a pickup installed, as the uke "seems" to be picked up a bit more from her vocal mic. The power pac on her back (attached to her uke strap) might be for her cordless voice mic. If it is for the uke,.....she needs a better mix and get the volumn up on the instrument, so we can all hear what a Taylor sounds like.

Gonna take a look when they become available,.....hope they make a concert also.

BTW,....wanna bet she looses the pick after awhile!

...no pickguard so more road rash, and i bet she'll get some "advice" that the tone will improve with a proper finger strum. :eek:

Did i tell ya all i love the soundhole! :D

....for some reason it reminds me of a bit of the Martin Style 3 tailblock area top inlay,....maybe the point?

Last edited:
It looks like there is a chord coming out of the strap button on the bottom of the uke, then into the wireless transmitter. The guitar at the very end has the same setup - no connection to a wearable voice microphone noted.

And I agree, it would be nice if she lost the pick.

-Kurt

Top Bottom