The More I Think About It, The More I Think This Is Something Else...

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
This afternoon, I was messing around with this chord progression that I thought would sound cool on a banjo uke (which I don't have yet). The turnaround thingy at the end reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now, the more I think about it, the more I think I subconsciously stole the entire second half of the progression AND the turnaround at the end from "When I'm Cleaning Windows" by George Formby.
Did I? Is the whole damned tune Formby's????

hi Chris,

not sure what it is but it sounds pretty darned good to these ears.

funny how there are just so many tunes with those standard kind of progressions and turnarounds, especially in ragtime, vaudeville and tin pan alley stuff...they start to blend into each other after awhile.

Always enjoy your playing mate; have fun your new banjo-uke. Cheers!

Yeah, check out some of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain's "mashups" - five or six well-known pop songs all going at once over the same chord progression.

My understanding is that chord progressions cannot be copyrighted, you just need to come up with an original melody to go with it.

I was recently listening to my Buena Vista Social Club album, and realized that the song "Orgullecida" is pretty much the same progression as "Five foot two", as are countless other songs. Just interesting when it crosses genres like this.

This afternoon, I was messing around with this chord progression that I thought would sound cool on a banjo uke (which I don't have yet). The turnaround thingy at the end reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now, the more I think about it, the more I think I subconsciously stole the entire second half of the progression AND the turnaround at the end from "When I'm Cleaning Windows" by George Formby.
Did I? Is the whole damned tune Formby's????/QUOTE]

I didn't recognize the first half as "Formby" (perhaps the strums) but yeah, the 2nd half's chord progression definitely was familiar. I enjoyed the 1st half and I enjoyed the 2nd half! Wish I could play the 1st half and the 2nd half nearly as well as you did!

Top Bottom