Evolution

Timbuck

Reaction score
It's amazing how methods keep changing when building..for the last dozen or so Sopranos i've built, once I've fitted the end/neck blocks, I then transfer the assembly to this simple intermediate jig... it's clamped tightly in position... then all the sanding , fitting the linings, and radiusing etc: are done all in one setup top and back.. I find this method makes the job a lot easier...It's made from two pieces of MDF and its strong and light and easy to manouvere when sanding on the radius dish.
Afterwards it's transfered to the main mold for final assembly.

PICT0037-4.jpg

PICT0040-8.jpg

PICT0039-2.jpg

If Ken could make his own air and water he would. Doubt he would buy a jig from anyone. Good thought for the rest of us though. :)

There's a guy who runs blue mountain acoustics who sells jigs like that on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/260858513076?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_672wt_1169 I haven't seen it other than the eBay picture, but it splits in half with a screw or bolt at the joints. There is no spreader system like you have. Yours is way cooler, of course, just thought I'd show the link.

I have just had a look at that link - that mold won't work too well. It needs to split on the centre line if you are to pop out the body...

Top Bottom